JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Rock Island tac ultra double stack 1911 in 10mm as well as an xdm 4.5" 10mm. The RI is a good gun, but it has had a couple of ftfs in probably close to 5-600 rounds and tends to do better with hotter rounds (a common issue with these, which recommend a lot of break-in, so it the issue may have or will work itself out).

Saw similar issues with a previously owned RI 10mm. The xdm has been flawless with everything and have put at least 1500 rounds through it without a hiccup, and I'd trust it over the RI any day of the week, and it is very accurate. I've had excellent success with the Springfield polymers in general. My first pistol was an xd9 bi-tone, and have easily put 7500 rounds through it of every variety. Only recall one ftf with a wolf steel round. Have a Hellcat that has also been very reliable over the first 300 rds, although I'm having some failure to go into battery with a true precision barrel with some ammo.

If I were looking for another 10mm and it couldn't be a Dan Wesson I think it would be a Sig P220. I've never fired a striker fire and said wow that's a nice trigger.

they dont advertise any of theirs as +P.
Since the 10mm isn't one of the official SAMMI +P rounds, and a relatively new round (circa 1980's), you'll probably not see anyone advertising their 10mm ammo as +P. The more relevant question would be; is it a FBI load? Companies like Buffalo Bore and Underwood try to load as close to (sometimes over) the original Norma spec (200gr projectile at 1,200 f/ps). While chamber pressure is still the governor, in my experience loading 10mm, my standard for a full power load is usually a 180gr projectile at 1,250 f/ps.

As for a striker fired 10mm, I own a G20, G29, G40, XDm 4.5, and Sig P320 X-TEN; in my experience, the Glocks' are the most reliable, with KKM barrels, they'll shoot anything accurately all day long. The X-TEN feels the best to shoot especially with the M*Carbo flat trigger (difficult to install), Armory Craft SPORT takedown lever, and Delta Pro red dot, just a pleasure to shoot . . . except for the magazines. I only have the two original and one I bought direct from Sig the first time they were available, and I've had to replace all the springs with Wolff XDm 45 ACP extra power springs to get them to run reliably, and only for 14 rounds, not very happy about that. But the best made and most reliable with a great trigger would be my XDm 4.5, it's what I carry into the woods when I'm not conceal carrying my G29. My absolute favorite 10mm to shoot is my EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness Standard with the 'Wonder' finish. The only issue I have with that, the front sight is milled on slide, no way to upgrade.

Last Edited:
The year was 2018, a nearly new SR1911 stoked with Federal Trophy Bonded 180 grain. Advertised velocity 1250 fps.

I have witnessed a couple more mini-kabooms, including in a Glock 20.
Dang it, WAYNO !
What were the damages and was the cause determined ?

I handled a Colt Delta Elite and a Ruger 10mm side by side.
The Ruger had a lot more heft and felt like it would be pleasant to shoot.

Dang it, WAYNO !
What were the damages and was the cause determined ?

I handled a Colt Delta Elite and a Ruger 10mm side by side.
The Ruger had a lot more heft and felt like it would be pleasant to shoot.
P1050341.jpg

The cause was never determined. The barrel underlug was severely damaged, and whatever else was stretched at the same time. Neither Ruger nor Federal was much help. Ruger Replaced some parts including the barrel, but the pistol never would run as it should after that. Ultimately after much heartburn and pushback from Ruger, Davidson's replaced the pistol. That particular SR1911 was the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot.

I've read of another half dozen that had the same failure during the same period of time. The 10mm cartridge, fully loaded, is hard on pistols.

Let me add... The replacement to this pistol has had no issues, nor has another one I purchased later. And I'm still shooting full potency ammo.

Last Edited:
View attachment 1402583

The cause was never determined. The barrel underlug was severely damaged, and whatever else was stretched at the same time. Neither Ruger nor Federal was much help. Ruger Replaced some parts including the barrel, but the pistol never would run as it should after that. Ultimately after much heartburn and pushback from Ruger, Davidson's replaced the pistol. That particular SR1911 was the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot.

I've read of another half dozen that had the same failure during the same period of time. The 10mm cartridge, fully loaded, is hard on pistols.
I was aware that Ruger forges their metal firearm frames (and slides on semi's) instead of milling from billet which is why they are 'over-built', but I can't imagine they do that with their barrels, which lends credence to the idea this was a bad batch of barrels. While 10mm is hard on semi's, it's nothing like 460 Rowland, and I've converted a XDm 4.5, G21, and a Springfield RO 1911 Gov't to that caliber, and they all hold up just fine, in fact the 1911 is the best shooting, most reliable. So I'm not sold on this being an ammo issue, certainly not with a Federal round since they are still loading those to the watered down FBI (pseudo 40 S&W) charges. On a related note, I tried one of the Henning Group's brass buffer rings in my EAA Witness and within 50 rounds, that buffer got dis-formed and it took me months to work up the courage to smack the back of the slide with a rubber mallet to get it off the lower. All's well with it, no worse for the assault, but totally not worth the slight reduction of wear and tear. Just say no to buffers :D .

... Federal round since they are still loading those to the watered down FBI (pseudo 40 S&W) charges.
I don't shoot any watered down 10mm loads. To do so negates the performance advantage of the 10mm. This Federal load is 180 grains at 1275 fps.

.:cool:

I'd say that I would agree with most of his assessment. The big difference I'd say that I'd take from that is that S&W hasn't really changed much since they released it, the only thing I've heard they changed is the ramp on the barrel to feed better and that's it from what I've heard. Springfield has ended the gen1 and has released a newer model that is improved from the gen1 and added new upgrades as well.

My .02 is to try out the Smith, only in 4.6" size. I've recently purchased several M&P pistols and have been pretty impressed with them overall. The trigger they come with is the newest model and in my testing, the best stock trigger Smith offers. Plus you don't need big hands like with the Glocks. The Sig is too damn expensive compared to it's competition
I like the new M&P 10mm. Have a G20 also, better ergonomics on the M&P but if I ever need to have a tank roll over my firearm, I hope to be carrying the G20.

Trying to wade through all the newer striker fired 10mm handguns on the market. Besides the Glock 20 and 29 what are people shooting?
Not looking for another 1911
Anybody can like anything they want. The OP specifically asked for "other than Glock".

And for the Glock lovers, good for them.:D They are obviously not for everybody.

And that's why of the whole group, I prefer the XD-M.
The OP specifically asked "Besides the Glock 20 and 29" that still leave the Glock 40. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top