JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got the Charles Daly grips I ordered for my new Colt Detective Special SF-VI today in the mail. The wood is quite nice.

There was only two problems with them. One, the milling was a bit out of alignment and they did not flush up when on the gun. The sides were slightly off kilter with each other. Two, they are just way too big for the gun. It looks unbalanced.

I solved the first issue by simply plugging and redrilling the little holes that line up with the pegs on the bottom of the grip frame on one side of the grips. Luckily i t was just an issue of one hole being off by about 1/20th of an inch on one side of the grips.

The second issue took more work.

Here are the grips as they were when I first got them on the gun.

Gripsbefore.jpg

First I set about working out what shape I wanted them to be by whittling away at one side of the grips. You can see the one on the left starting to take shape.

Starting.jpg

Then once I got one side in roughly the correct shape I lined it up with the other side and started working it down.

Matchingsides.jpg

Then once I had both side matched to the basic shape I wanted I could start refining them.

Finalshape.jpg

Now I can get them on the gun and start on the finishing touches. I should have them finished tonight.

When I got the reshaped grips on the gun I realized another issue. The grips were covering the tail of the horse. I had to do some quick reshaping. Now you can see the entire logo.

Before
Tailbefore.jpg

After
Tailafter.jpg

Then some quick sanding and the grips have their final shape. I am spraying a satin finish on them now and should have pics of the completed grips in the morning. This pic shows the final shape. They feel really comfortable.

GripsAfter.jpg

I got a quick finish on them. It is a quick dry sealant so I was able to install them. I will buff it down a bit tomorrow but it is pretty much done. This is how they looked before and after the refinishing. They are so much more comfortable now too. I used the stock rubber grips as the idea for the shape.

Grips Before
BeforeGrips.jpg

Grips After
GripsFinished.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show