Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cross border OR/WA FTF gun sales discussion

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Trlsmn, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Cross border OR/WA FTF gun sales discussion. I have seen several posts from AD's where the non FFL private citizen states he can sell his gun in either state because he is a resident of both states.

My thoughts say that this is incorrect.

What say you?

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Methinks a quick e-mail to OFF might provide an answer. I'll send the e-mail and post reply if I get one, but the are usually pretty good about answering questions.

3. Captain Question

Captain Question Oregon Member

I don't think you can be a resident of more than one state, but I don't practice federal law, so buyers beware - it would not behoove you to be paying a federal attorney big money to argue with a federal prosecutor over the issue.

Between states needs to involve an FFL, as best as I can tell.

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That's the way I understand it too.

5. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

You only have one primary residence, you only vote in one state. Anything else requires the involvement of an FFL.

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Never mind. Was typing a response when I saw MarkW's post

7. slyguy

slyguy Eugene Member

Hmm - I thought FFL required for handgun transfers, but for WA to OR residents long gun is OK with bill of sale. I agree with involve FFL to take no chances.

8. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Nooooooo

9. bcp

bcp SW WA Member

You can be a resident of 2 states.

http://tinyurl.com/yex5bej

27 CFR 478.11
    Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. An alien who is legally in the United States shall be considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in the State and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

10. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

From the ATF website FAQ...

It would make sense that I, as a Washington resident, should be able to purchase weapons in Oregon since I have an Oregon non-resident concealed carry permit. But it's probably a BYO situation :)

11. twoclones

Meant to include this one as well from the ATF

12. PhysicsGuy

You do realize what this is stating?

It says that someone may purchase a firearms from out of state if arrangements are made to have it sent to a FFL in the home state. Just like buying a gun from gunbroker.com, and having it shipped to your local FFL.

Also, are you confusing the term "Licensed" with a concealed carry license? "licensee's" in these terms is referring to someone with a Federal Firearms License.

13. twoclones

Not confusing anything. Just failed to paste in the second question and answer.

14. PhysicsGuy

Okay, just had to make sure that you weren't thinking that you could buy a gun because you had a CHL :p

15. twoclones

But wouldn't that be a reasonable thing for the law to allow? Currently, I can carry a loaded gun in my pocket in at least 30 states but can buy [in person] in only one of those states. Who thought of that crap?

Throckmorton likes this.
  16. PhysicsGuy

Welcome to the Separated States of America, I always found it to be odd that it could possibly be a negative thing to purchase a gun from another state, I guess the lawmakers think that people must be wanting to commit some crime if they purchase a gun across state lines. :laugh:

17. Randini

Randini Salem Member

I would not say to anyone to do something that is wrong, so if a seller sells and there is no record/bill of sell then who is to know? a bit like the dont ask dont tell.

18. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

+1 :thumbup:

19. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Not worth the risk to me. On the other hand, it has been convenient to have a friend who lived out of state purchase a gun and then move to my state within the next couple of months. Doesn't happen very often but still nice when it does:thumbup:

20. PhysicsGuy

The ATF likes to do sting operations, so going through with such a transaction could land you with about 10 years in club fed, and usually the people working for the ATF seem just like normal gun owners. Better to be safe than sorry is what I go by.

Sgt Nambu likes this.