JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was he smart enough to understand it!?
Unfortunately, it didn't connect--my attempted smack was the effort to deny him the benefits he sought to fraudulently obtain.

Just think, people with the same attitudes run our elections offices... gives ya real confidence in the folks responsible for ensuring the integrity of the vote, doesn't it?

--Diamondback, PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
(Professional Military Historian, Subject Matter Expert, Three Letter Acronym, Blah Blah Blah)

Last Edited:
If you have served during time of national conflict you may be eligible for a national service medal. That's nice to have if seeking a Fed job as it gives you a point preference in hiring.

"Scab," the now-Growler EWO who was advising me on my "Prowler 21" design/build project, once told me he would kill to have his old Tadpole back...

One of these days, I want to find the BuNo of the last Prowler to fly out of Whidbey and any special markings it may have been painted with and add it to a collection of models of "hometown birds."

This is a little off-topic, but with how many Prowler guys are in this thread it seems like a good place: If you had had the chance to make one change to the bird, either "Replace Item X with Item Y" or "Add ____," what would it be? (Scab's pick, adding two new stations dedicated for weapons so they could fight off a threat or Reach Out and Smack Someone physically in addition to electronically--I embellished it a little by giving P21 the outer stations of the A-6F, optional F-15-style shoulder-rails on several stations and Viper/Hornet-style wingtip rails.)

Were the EA-6B to return to duty, I would rather see an even higher power providing it with a more profound capability to the entire spectrum of Electronic Warfare Jamming/Interference performance. The added range of the equipment would have a tendency to ruin any SAM, AAM or ASM capability of the enemy. (It would give "confusion to the enemy" an entirely new meaning)!

This is what I would like to see!

I remember how bad we hosed the AF F-16s and F-15s who were sure they had bagged our Prowlers as a HVT in Airwar over CA exercise. Needless to say there were lots of sad USAF faces when we showed them the tapes where they first were splashed by the F-14s and then a second time by our F-18s. All the while our Prowlers were well out of their range.....
ICAP IIs were.... as that goofy TV custom firearms guy used to say: "A real game changer!" A very capable platform.

Brutus Out
Former World Famous Axeman We CAN HACK IT!

Talking to one of my good buddies today.... When BHO got elected he felt like he was at war with the left in the arena of Ideas. He was A Marine rifle team member decades ago.

He started wearing his dog tags again and felt better....Maybe as vets we should start doing that...as a statement.

Brutus Out

Talking to one of my good buddies today.... When BHO got elected he felt like he was at war with the left in the arena of Ideas. He was A Marine rifle team member decades ago.

He started wearing his dog tags again and felt better....Maybe as vets we should start doing that...as a statement.

Brutus Out

I haven't had any dog tags in over 40 years. It would make me feel better too. Take me back to the VAQ 129 hangar at USNAS Whidbey Island. *sigh*

Those were the days, my brother... those were the days!

I had the opportunity to train with Australian marines many years ago. That was a hard drinking ready brawling bunch; if I had my fat in the fryer it would be comforting to have them in the AO...
I was in 29 Stumps for our pre-deployment workups in summer 2005 and we got in to a drinking contest with these Aussie tankers. I felt bad for those bubblegumers. They promote even slower than Marines. One guy had been in like 8 years, still an E3. Drank like a bunch of 3rd grade pussies though. I had to drag one back to their barracks at the behest of PMO.

I haven't had any dog tags in over 40 years. It would make me feel better too. Take me back to the VAQ 129 hangar at USNAS Whidbey Island. *sigh*

Those were the days, my brother... those were the days!
Indeed they were!

I would go to the VAQ-129 SCIF IIRC to read message traffic for classified briefs I would give for my squadron's aircrew. We were at the far eastern end hangars with VMAQ-4.

Brutus Out

No, that sound like the bloke was looking for a smack in the mouth, I did have one vet tell me I'm not a real vet because I'm not American though (I'm Australian). He got the smack in the mouth he was looking for.

You're welcome at my table anytime, Mate! If you're ever in St Helens, Oregon look up "The Bunker" (a meeting place for Veterans of every service, sponsored by the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks). You will find a warm place that will embrace your service!

Welcome aboard!

I'm usually rather reluctant to challenge someone's service--the only time I've done it was a loudmouthed hoser and poser who was trying to bilk some DSHS gal out of veteran benefits. His story was that he had been a Navy SEAL in Nam, flying P-51 Mustangs off the USS Nimitz WITH Admiral Nimitz, and how many obvious points of BULLSH*T can we spot just in that one summary before I toss the spoilers as a Professional Military Historian?

The gal from DSHS was none too happy with me for throwing the BS flag... must have been behind quota or something.

No...ooo. The way I heard it, he crashed the Mustang and built the Nimitz from the scrap of the Mustang! o_O

Brutus Out

I keep one on my range bag, ostentatiously displayed! :D

I never earned a set of my own, but as the historian in the family and designated "keeper of our history, lore and traditions" (never mind that said lore and traditions appear destined to die with me) I had to put up no small amount of fight for custody of my grandfather's and Uncle Frank's--and I can only wish I could have been in position to put up the same fight for their service irons. :(

Dog Tags are neat reminders of your days in service. ( Or a family members )
Mine are a bit tarnished , slightly bent and still have a P-38 hanging from the lower tag chain.

I have brought them to school at times at the request of my students.
It is a great "ice breaker" to asking about and answering questions regarding Veteran's Day.
Andy

I don't know why, but a P38 reminds m of a Meal, Combat, Individual, Ham and Lima Beans. If you got past the smell and the taste, the after effects were terrible. It was a capital offense to eat a can of those on a tank crew!

I don't know why, but a P38 reminds m of a Meal, Combat, Individual, Ham and Lima Beans. If you got past the smell and the taste, the after effects were terrible. It was a capital offense to eat a can of those on a tank crew!
Ah, yes, the dreaded "Ham 'n' Mother F'ers" that are subject of so many horror stories... something that I'll need to find somebody who still makes using the old recipe should I find myself teaching a class on the Nam era. :)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top