JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any of you vets out there ever have a non-vet tell you 'you aren't a real vet if you have never served in a combat zone/conflict' etc.? I have from a few over the years and recently yesterday from a CONSERVATIVE co-worker and it kind of burns my butt. He actually had to tell me he researched it on the internet to prove to himself a vet is a successfully discharged member with a DD 214 regardless of where he/she served - which I already told him but he did not seem to believe me.

The fact that this jack wad even had the balls to question this shows a serious lack of character and knowledge, and the fact he bailed on his ROTC because he could not fly is bullsh*t. There are any number of other MOS he could have went into. There is way more to that story, it does not even begin to hold water.

The fact that he did not even serve and then questions ANYTHING about being a veteran makes him a POS.

There is way more to that story, it does not even begin to hold water.
No there really isn't. This guy is generally OK but he has a lot of issues. He grew up as an Army 'brat' with an Officer father and probably got some mixed messages along the way - he also likes to 'push my buttons' on a lot of things. He is very reserved and quiet until he gets to know people and because of this he is taken as somewhat 'odd' and is not generally liked by all and I don't think he cares. Based on some of the things he has said I suspect he is probably regretting he did NOT pursue the military with a different MOS but knowing him the way I do he would have had a tough time in the military with his reserved and quiet demeanor - remember those types in basic and later at the duty location?

This guy sounds as if he needs to reassess his mind. Tel him that he has no basis for saying anything about anyone that served. I didn't care for a lot of the blowhards in the service, there was a lot of braggadocio and little else. There are plenty of these in every crowd.

I'm usually rather reluctant to challenge someone's service--the only time I've done it was a loudmouthed hoser and poser who was trying to bilk some DSHS gal out of veteran benefits. His story was that he had been a Navy SEAL in Nam, flying P-51 Mustangs off the USS Nimitz WITH Admiral Nimitz, and how many obvious points of BULLSH*T can we spot just in that one summary before I toss the spoilers as a Professional Military Historian?

The gal from DSHS was none too happy with me for throwing the BS flag... must have been behind quota or something.

I'm usually rather reluctant to challenge someone's service--the only time I've done it was a loudmouthed hoser and poser who was trying to bilk some DSHS gal out of veteran benefits. His story was that he had been a Navy SEAL in Nam, flying P-51 Mustangs off the USS Nimitz WITH Admiral Nimitz, and how many obvious points of BULLSH*T can we spot just in that one summary before I toss the spoilers as a Professional Military Historian?

The gal from DSHS was none too happy with me for throwing the BS flag... must have been behind quota or something.

It had to be the E model Mustang, because they were the only ones with tail hooks....:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

LOL, Brutus, I'll give the rest of the crowd Overnight before I rip his story apart on multiple SME fronts, between PMH, aspiring History prof and aerospace-technologies expert.

Pro-tip: When you're gonna shovel the BS wide and deep, make sure there isn't somebody who knows the true story around. Doubly, don't spew your bull in a public library where all the books that PROVE you're a lying heap of dogsh*t are just a few feet away... nutkick.gif

Or is what I did to him more like an intellectual version of this?
tumblr_m8qepqb14D1qa5y6mo1_500.gif

I looked up my old bird (EA-6B "Prowler" manufactured by Grumman). I discovered that the Navy decomissioned it completely and handed the remaining Prolwers ofer to the Marines at Cherry Point. The last Navy EA-6B Prowler flew it's final mission in 2015. The "Prowler" flew from January of 1971 until last year. Since then, the EA-18G "Growler" (built on the North American F-18 frame) took over the EA-6B's duties.

Strange, but I miss the old girl.

I looked up my old bird (EA-6B "Prowler" manufactured by Grumman). I discovered that the Navy decomissioned it completely and handed the remaining Prolwers ofer to the Marines at Cherry Point. The last Navy EA-6B Prowler flew it's final mission in 2015. The "Prowler" flew from January of 1971 until last year. Since then, the EA-18G "Growler" (built on the North American F-18 frame) took over the EA-6B's duties.

"Scab," the now-Growler EWO who was advising me on my "Prowler 21" design/build project, once told me he would kill to have his old Tadpole back...

One of these days, I want to find the BuNo of the last Prowler to fly out of Whidbey and any special markings it may have been painted with and add it to a collection of models of "hometown birds."

This is a little off-topic, but with how many Prowler guys are in this thread it seems like a good place: If you had had the chance to make one change to the bird, either "Replace Item X with Item Y" or "Add ____," what would it be? (Scab's pick, adding two new stations dedicated for weapons so they could fight off a threat or Reach Out and Smack Someone physically in addition to electronically--I embellished it a little by giving P21 the outer stations of the A-6F, optional F-15-style shoulder-rails on several stations and Viper/Hornet-style wingtip rails.)

As promised, the score:
Navy SEAL in Nam
Maybe, there were plenty of 'em.
flying P-51 Mustangs
There were a few Mustang derivatives, the Piper Enforcer IIRC, sent over... but very few. And while there have been SEALs with flight training and Gold Wings, none have had it as their primary MOS while a SEAL that I've ever seen or heard of.
off the USS Nimitz
BONK. CVN-68 wasn't even in Builder Trials when Saigon fell. Also, the last Mustang carrier ops were in WWII, one-way delivery flights and a very limited test evaluating a handful of Army types for Navy use as USS Midway was working up.
WITH Admiral Nimitz
bullbubblegum-meter.gif
At the time Nimitz was retired if not dead, and at that time USN policy was not to name ships after living persons no matter what--and the policy of not letting Flag Ranks fly combat was in place well before that.

Man, I SOOOOOOO wanted to drop a dime on that guy to the Stolen Valor team...

One big regret I had was I never requaled in Aviation Physiology and took a few rides in the 4th seat of the Prowlers in our squadron. I am sure my skippers would have taken me up a few times and even got me a cat shot and a trap. I was too shy as a young O-3. We had EA-6A Electric Intruders when I joined the squadron in 86. I shoulda got qualed for those for a North Cascades low level run as well. I heard it was amazing.

Brutus Out

However probably the 'best' BS busting question for any self-proclaimed 'vet' - 'Are you P-38 qualified'? - and I don't mean the airplane or gun.... - I recently got challenged on this by a customer - and answered correctly!

However probably the 'best' BS busting question for any self-proclaimed 'vet' - 'Are you P-38 qualified'? - and I don't mean the airplane or gun.... - I recently got challenged on this by a customer - and answered correctly!

haha, that is a good one. I had one for decades on an old key ring. I hope it turns up. The newer chinese crap versions...are just that.

Brutus Out

No, that sound like the bloke was looking for a smack in the mouth, I did have one vet tell me I'm not a real vet because I'm not American though (I'm Australian). He got the smack in the mouth he was looking for.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top