JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As have been already mentioned:

Faulty Round

Weak Mag Spring

If I may add (and this may not have been the case in your situation), but I've found that a loose grip or "limp wrist" as they call it, can also cause stovepipes.

Looks like a FTF to me. I agree with the previous statements above relating same.
Some guns, by design, dont care for bullet shapes outside of the realm of what they were machined for by design. I would gander that most are ramped for NATO designed bullets.
Magazines can function the same way also, over length, bullet shape ect.

That looks like FTF to my eye also...how old is the mag? Does it stay loaded 99% of the time?
Myself, Ive had great luck with the Hornady Critical defense...I do tend to rotate my carry ammo every few months, buy new, put "previously carried" in the back up mags, burn through the oldest next range session. This has worked for me for years, never had a problem with that ammo. Not saying it couldnt happen though....

Appears the round is nose diving into the feed ramp. Since the magazine has ran off the first two, and happens on the third...my first thought is the magazine spring...not being able to stabilize the remaining rounds well.

The other thought that comes to mind; even though the magazine spring is suspect, it may allow other HP designs to work, as they tend to be less pointed, having more of a rounded design.

Although I'm not a Hornady ammo fan, as both pistol and rifle fail to perform as advertised...but being a trainer, the above caught my eye and ripped it out of its socket.

Of all the malfunctions, stovepipe are the easiest to clear...just rack and go. If you would like some help, let me know and we can get together sometime and go over some things...no charge.
Looks like a FTF to me. I agree with the previous statements above relating same.
Some guns, by design, dont care for bullet shapes outside of the realm of what they were machined for by design. I would gander that most are ramped for NATO designed bullets.
Magazines can function the same way also, over length, bullet shape ect.
That looks like FTF to my eye also...how old is the mag? Does it stay loaded 99% of the time?
Myself, Ive had great luck with the Hornady Critical defense...I do tend to rotate my carry ammo every few months, buy new, put "previously carried" in the back up mags, burn through the oldest next range session. This has worked for me for years, never had a problem with that ammo. Not saying it couldnt happen though....
Appears the round is nose diving into the feed ramp. Since the magazine has ran off the first two, and happens on the third...my first thought is the magazine spring...not being able to stabilize the remaining rounds well.

The other thought that comes to mind; even though the magazine spring is suspect, it may allow other HP designs to work, as they tend to be less pointed, having more of a rounded design.

:oops:
o_O

Sooo, Cerberus..... i read your post and immediately panicked, checked and confirmed i had used entirely the wrong term!!!!! I have never thought about the term before and assumed it was referencing the pipe (chamber) not that it's resembling the pipe (chimney) of a stove!!!! dangit!!

Sorry to all (and i'm editing the post title now) what i experienced was a failure to feed, and yes the nose was stuck on the feed ramp, but only because of the flared out portion of the bullet tip.

I don't believe magazine was at fault, not the feed ramp in the XDS, which is very accommodating to hollow points and has a feed ramp extension on the frame.

My best guess here, is as some have pointed out, is the tip was already damaged when i loaded it, lesson learned, check all the rounds before using them in a self defence situation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top