JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I usually fire off my current carry mag when i go shooting, never a problem, but this time i got a stove pipe on the 3rd round!! :eek: Not something i've ever had before and it's a little scary that it happened on my carry gun, stove pipes are not quick to clear.

Anyone had this issue before? Hornady Critical Defence, i've always used this or Duty and never had issues, i cannot tell if this happened as a result of the stove pipe, or it was already damaged, resulting in the stove pipe.

Not my best pictures, sorry.

IMG_20200106_195112.jpg
IMG_20200106_195334.jpg

What kind of gun? When was the last ammo related malfunction? How many rounds since the last malfunction?

I'm guessing your edc isn't a revolver, however without more to go on...
From the info you have provided I wouldn't be faulting the ammo.

I'd just say a bad batch of ammo?

I usually use Crit D/SIG V crowns/Gold dots/HST I have the same XDS and have ran all 4 through mine no problems.

Normally I'll take 5 bullets from each out of the case to test each line for functions check. Flukes happen and this is why its great you caught it on a trip instead of OH SHII-

If your XDS has never malfunctioned and is well used then its either the round or the ammo.

Note: I'm not a fan of Hornandy for carry. Although I can load 9mm fine but 45 always sets back after just one or two chamberings so I choose another brand. I don't have that problem with any other brand of ammo so I don't trust Hornandy.

Remaining rounds all fed flawlessly, and although not comparable, another ~40 rounds of ball went through fine.

I inspected the other rounds, as well as the replacements now in the mag, and none show that damage - the angle it hit the ramp at does not look like it could have caused this "peeling" of the bullet tip, so i'm wondering if i just needed to have inspected the rounds as i loaded them, maybe i missed this one.

During my range trips I always practice failures and mag reloading.
I usually do a few rounds of only loading two to three bullets, with 3-4 mags and practice shooting, reloading, shoot, reload, etc.

...stove pipes are not quick to clear.

Although I'm not a Hornady ammo fan, as both pistol and rifle fail to perform as advertised...but being a trainer, the above caught my eye and ripped it out of its socket.

Of all the malfunctions, stovepipe are the easiest to clear...just rack and go. If you would like some help, let me know and we can get together sometime and go over some things...no charge.

I inspected the other rounds, as well as the replacements now in the mag, and none show that damage - the angle it hit the ramp at does not look like it could have caused this "peeling" of the bullet tip, so i'm wondering if i just needed to have inspected the rounds as i loaded them, maybe i missed this one.
My guess is the individual round. If that spot was already damaged it could have hit the feed ramp funny and deflected just wrong. The rest of the damage pictured could have came from it hitting elsewhere on its journey into the stovepipe position.
After I had problems with setback with only Hornandy ammo I switched carry ammo brands.

The most important thing that came out of this though, is to practice clearing malfunctions. Good on ya for regularly running your carry ammo.

How old is the mag? Do you think maybe the spring is a little weak and may have caught under the lip of the feed ramp then fourced it's self up the rest of the way of the feed ramp looks like a pretty staright peel. It's a different gun but same example although it's a ball round the way it's sitting in there if it was a hollow point could have peeled a flap up. Also here's a Springfield that could also shed a little more light if the round is in this type of placement and is resting nose down a tad more it definitely would cause this. Try matching the bullet divit up with the lip or slightly below the lip and see if it adds up. If it where me id use that mag for only ball

images.jpeg 38935-040ce48ebecd4a1d5d509546f6d85664.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews