JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any suggestions on possible issue with ammo jamming in my 1911? It got dirty then I started carrying a revolver for reliability. All jokes aside. It pushed the front of the bullet back into the casing. I've cleared it a few times, I usually joke but this one is not funny.

It is fairly clean now.

I do love the 1911, but they can be finicky for sure. What kind of ammo are you running? Some 1911s choke on hollow points. How did the jam occur? 1911s also like to run wet.

I've had about a dozen 1911's and only two developed F2F issues: a .45 with low quality factory magazines fixed with CMC and Wilson Combat mags, and the other F2F was a 10mm Colt Delta Elite that needed a minor feed ramp adjustment.

Suggest you have a gunsmith to check it out.

You do know it's sacrilegious to post about 1911's not working on Browning's birthday, right??? :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, 9mm or 45? Factory Colt mags? New gun? Agree with @solv3nt that the lubrication important, usually more so than clean. Did it push a factory bullet back into the case or a reload?

Need more info, is the gun new or used and are you using factory magazines?
Some 1911s can be notorious for pushing back the bullet especially in 45acp with hollowpoints, but otherwise should function fine. If its not feeding and nosediving the top round I would try a quality magazine like a Wilson Combat or Checkmate, get one with a small dimple on the magazine follower...

One moment on mags.
Need more info, is the gun new or used and are you using factory magazines?
Some 1911s can be notorious for pushing back the bullet especially in 45acp with hollowpoints, but otherwise should function fine. If its not feeding and nosediving the top round I would try a quality magazine like a Wilson Combat or Checkmate, get one with a small dimple on the magazine follower...
You were good until I read the whole thing. Hear this Really Wilson and Colt dont work together. But its fixed for now.

Really Wilson and Colt dont match I got ar mags to show you. THANK you so colt only mags?

Is it chambering when you first load the gun? How strong is your ejection? Need some more info.
I put a Colt mag in there loads fine. I have more but I hate to say had a Wilson Combat mag in there and thanks to other dude fixed it. I aint carrying that. 357 S&W. She was fairly clean.

Ejection hits me in the head. OK laugh

One moment on mags.

You were good until I read the whole thing. Hear this Really Wilson and Colt dont work together. But its fixed for now.

Really Wilson and Colt dont match I got ar mags to show you. THANK you so colt only mags?
Well, I have 4 Colts that run Wilson mags perfect. So I dont know about your gun if its old or new or whats going on but generally only run magazines from the company that made the gun, for any gun. The first step in troubleshooting in any gun is to only use the mfg mags. And then after that its interesting to learn who actually makes Colts magazines....

I put a Colt mag in there loads fine. I have more but I hate to say had a Wilson Combat mag in there and thanks to other dude fixed it. I aint carrying that. 357 S&W. She was fairly clean.

Ejection hits me in the head. OK laugh
If you're getting ejections to the face, you may be having a slide velocity issue. Are the colt mags stiffer?

How is your grip? What kind of recoil spring/operating rod?

I have a remington magazine also. Never had the problem. Root cause is magazine. I thought this was a solid platform. This is not reliable. Stick with colt magazines? At this point Its revolver.

Sounds like CCC… Colt cartridge crunch. While on my Series 70 it usually means a ruined empty rim due to FTE fully, and solving that gets complicated because of extractor tension and extractor/ejector geometry… a FTFeed can certainly can bury a bullet into its case. That may require a ramp and chamber polish, and possibly a new or different weight recoil spring, and of course, the right magazine. Some mags can be fixed by gently bending the lips more open or closed to change the bullet presentation angle.

I have a remington magazine also. Never had the problem. Root cause is magazine. I thought this was a solid platform. This is not reliable. Stick with colt magazines? At this point Its revolver.
1911s are solid platforms, there are just too many aftermarket parts for 1911s like magazines. Other pistol brands are no different, run an aftermarket magazine and it might not work, some do, some dont. Stick with Colt magazines till you learn which aftermarket magazines work.

Yeah, the 1911 can be picky about magazines.
The problem with 1911s is there are 100 years worth of very cheap aftermarket magazines for them. Some of them look legit or like a factory mag, I got a small box of them I acquired over the years, one had "Colt" stamped on the bottom.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top