JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this has probably been beat to death, but has anyone found an effective, consistent method that doesn't require beating up you press and yourself? I've tried the cutters, they work but they're tedious and inconsistent. I got the RCBS swage die set, seems fairly consistent, but it's still tedious, and that's a lot of slamming around on my Rockchucker, which can't be good for a press that I use for "precision" loading. I also have the swage kit for the Lee APP press, it seems like it would tick all the boxes for me, but I can't seem to get a consistent swage with it. Any suggestions for a different tool, or adjustment tips for the tools I have, would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dave

RCBS makes a crimp removal cutter tool. I've got one mounted to my Lyman case prep center. Otherwise I just use one of two or both chamfer tools also mounted to the same prep center.

It's tedious though I agree.

Many people have an older/cheaper press set up for depriming, and use the better/more expensive press to load on.

Here's what I use after de-priming and before using new cases. It's made by K+M
It's not used in a press, it's used in a cordless drill. I lay the drill on its side, have a bowl of brass and an empty bowl to toss the cases into after the pockets are reamed/cut/squared.
The depth CAN NOT be screwed up on LR/LP or SR/SP primer pockets. Nor can they be screwed up by being crooked. 4 seconds or less per round? Never a bad primer pocket after thousands of reloads by using the tool(s).

I do get a problem case on occasion and have to 'work' the case to get it corrected. Probably 1 in 80?

Dan
primer pocket.jpg

I borrowed a Dillon pocket swager from a member when i was getting things together to do .225/5.56. That baby is the SHIZZZ!
Look up vids for attaching a rubber band to make it go quicker and I don't see anything that will run as easy and smooth as that.

Personally I don't plan on using a bunch of crimped brass in my loading future so I opted for the RCBS swager. I've got the time and patience for that considering my set-up.

The Dillon tool is great, but expensive. I had one but didn't use it much at the time so I sold it, many years ago.

The Lee APP works well once you get it dialed in. When I first got mine, it swaged too much, and I had some pockets that were too loose afterwards. I carefully honed the swage piece down ever so slightly, and now it works well. It didn't take much, just a bit with a diamond hone. It's very hard steel.

My old standby for low volume is the RCBS swage die. It can be a bit of a pain for popping the brass off once it's swaged. Here's a tip that works wonders- lube the primer pockets. Either a Q-tip to touch each one with lube, or a quick spray with spray lube. The pop off MUCH easier then.

The Dillon tool is great, but expensive. I had one but didn't use it much at the time so I sold it, many years ago.

The Lee APP works well once you get it dialed in. When I first got mine, it swaged too much, and I had some pockets that were too loose afterwards. I carefully honed the swage piece down ever so slightly, and now it works well. It didn't take much, just a bit with a diamond hone. It's very hard steel.

My old standby for low volume is the RCBS swage die. It can be a bit of a pain for popping the brass off once it's swaged. Here's a tip that works wonders- lube the primer pockets. Either a Q-tip to touch each one with lube, or a quick spray with spray lube. The pop off MUCH easier then.
It took me twenty years to figure out a touch of case lube on the swaging button made the RCBS tool much smoother. Wet tumbling after swaging removes any traces.

I've had the RCBS swaging set (#9481). I wasn't crazy about it. I've settled on using a deburring tool spun by a drill press. It's pretty fast. Turning out a consistent product is entirely up to the operator. It comes with a little practice.

I really prefer swaging. From all my 223/5.56 reloading, swaging has given me the most consistent primer pockets. I know on pick up range brass, I can easily identify cases, where the primer pocket crimp has been removed by cutting, when seating a primer.

I am also on my second RCBS primer pocket swaging tool. I had worn out my first one, sent it into RCBS and they send me a new replacement swaging tool. I think my first RCBS tool swaged over 40,000 primer pockets.

I've been using a tiny folding Trim brand sheepsfoot bladed fingernail whittler for years. Big deal if you gotta cut some primer crimps out now and again. I try to not make a habit of it though.

Lube pockets and switch presses for the win :cool:. Set up the RCBS swage die set on the Hornady press, lubed up a few crimped cases, and went to town. Little effort needed, and they pop off the swage button easily. I'm thinking I had something set up wrong on the RC, but this looks like it'll do the job, so I'm GTG. Only hassle now is getting the case aligned with the punch, maybe a small mirror is the answer o_O. Or better yet, put my sister to work swaging all that brass, she actually enjoys mindless, tedious projects :s0114:. Anyway, appreciate all the ideas and suggestions, looks like I'm good to go, thanks guys.

Dave

I've had the RCBS swaging set (#9481). I wasn't crazy about it. I've settled on using a deburring tool spun by a drill press. It's pretty fast. Turning out a consistent product is entirely up to the operator. It comes with a little practice.
That's what I got rather than spend the hundy +. It was only $30 buck or so. My wrists get to hurting and I do the pockets manually, so that's enough of that.
Fastest and easiest I've ever had.

That's pretty slick!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class