JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just last night I saw that Lee now has a Ram Swage tool, #91617. Works something like the RCBS but ejects the case with a spring. I've I was still buying new gadgets when they came along, I might try it for $50. But I'm really happier using the deburring tool in the drill press. Much faster than staging a case, then pulling the handle.

I don't really think I'll need to do any more of this anyway. My stockpile of .30-06 and 7.62mm NATO ammo is pretty static these days, plus I have a lot of prepped brass some of which I'll never use. .223, I've got a few thousand rounds of that sitting around, plus a few hundred prepped and primed. Many more prepped but not primed. I do have some nickel .223 that is once fired and has crimped primers. It's conceivable I may get to that.

Just last night I saw that Lee now has a Ram Swage tool, #91617. Works something like the RCBS but ejects the case with a spring. I've I was still buying new gadgets when they came along, I might try it for $50. But I'm really happier using the deburring tool in the drill press. Much faster than staging a case, then pulling the handle.

I don't really think I'll need to do any more of this anyway. My stockpile of .30-06 and 7.62mm NATO ammo is pretty static these days, plus I have a lot of prepped brass some of which I'll never use. .223, I've got a few thousand rounds of that sitting around, plus a few hundred prepped and primed. Many more prepped but not primed. I do have some nickel .223 that is once fired and has crimped primers. It's conceivable I may get to that.
I do like me some nickel plated .223 though I understand it may be more prone to cracking?

I found the best method was sell my crimped once fired and buy uncrimped once fired RP brass.

Next best thing that works for me is a RCBS Swager followed by a chamfer tool in a cordless drill. That was the only way I could get them to seat reasonably well and consistent.

I have the CH4D swage kit. It works good.
It is heartening to see CH still doing great. Their tools are 'relatively' unknown, the glory days being the 70s, I suppose. But, back then I bought their cannelure tool. Used it a couple of days ago and it works as well as it ever did. Rolled a cannelure onto some 71 gr. 308 bullets to use in .32 S&W Long. The cannelure is also great for taper crimping and helps prevent bullet set-back in semis.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 1.02.46 PM.png

As to the RCBS, it works fine. Best to back the die out so that the ram is at the top of the stroke, as the RCBS compound leverage has the most advantage at that point. But the press could actually use a longer (or adjustable) handle to lever the swager out of the primer pocket. Maybe a Q-tip with Hornady one shot to lube the swager, or powdered mica from a neck lube kit.

I do like me some nickel plated .223 though I understand it may be more prone to cracking?
I haven't had that issue with any nickel brass I've worked with. I've loaded some nickel .223's several times, no splits. On the other hand, I've had some batches of LC 5.56mm unplated where 50 percent split on the second loading.

It is heartening to see CH still doing great. Their tools are 'relatively' unknown, the glory days being the 70s, I suppose. But, back then I bought their cannelure tool. Used it a couple of days ago and it works as well as it ever did. Rolled a cannelure onto some 71 gr. 308 bullets to use in .32 S&W Long. The cannelure is also great for taper crimping and helps prevent bullet set-back in semis.
No point in my going over their entire history, but the "old" CH firm was sold, combined into CH/4D in a different location, that's the current company. Their stuff is pricey and long in coming. But some of my favorite taper crimp dies are the old CH.

The cannelure roller is a nice tool to have when you need it. At one time, I used the Corbin HCT-1 cannelure tool to roll it on jacketed .40 bullets for my .38/40's. Don't worry, I got the tool at an auction, I didn't pay Corbin's price for a new one. That's the kind of thing for the day when we set up a reloading tool library, where people can check it out to do their limited work without having to pony up to buy one, then return it to the library when finished.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top