JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What all is involved with Coyote Hunting?

I've gained some knowledge from strolling google, but will reserve it to get spot-on answers from you fine gentlemen. :)

So, what do we need for licenses? And is it true that there's no "season"?

Wakejoe, a great resource is predatormasters.com, go there and read, read, read !
If you're already a hunter, about all you need is a couple of mouth calls or electronic call(s) and then get out and practise with them. There isn't a hunting season in Oregon (2008), so you can hunt all year long, but there's quite a few hunters that will not hunt them when they're denned up (having their pups). You'll need a general hunting license, and if you hunt at night you will need a fur taker's license.
Happy hunting :D

Hop on a MAX and just wait....

coyote_pdx.jpg

Just need a Hunting License. As for hunting at night, read the regs. I'm going off memory here, so I might be wrong. You can only spot light Coyotes at night with permission from the landowner. Regs aren't real cut and dry. So find out whats legal before spotlighting on public ground, not sure if its legal or not. Spot lighting is pretty tough to do alone anyway. You really need a partner to run the light.

I remember reading a news story about one entering the elevator of a downtown highrise building, although I don't recall what city it was in.

It was in <broken link removed> - Federal Building, no less.

But Chandler said coyotes have shown up all over town. He recalled the 1997 incident when a 30-pounder ducked into the downtown Henry M. Jackson Federal Building and ended up stuck in an elevator. It was captured and taken to rural King County, where it was released.

No coyote hunting at night on public land in Oregon. Even with a furbearer license. Only raccoons, possums, and bobcats can be hunted at night (when in season) on public land here.

If there's anyone in the Eugene/Springfield area that needs a partner to go calling with, I am available to hunt most anytime, and have my fur-bearers license and bobcat tags. Seen three big, and very shaggie coyotes come in all at one time on the last hunt.

Last Edited:
You can hunt coyotes at night. They aren't a game animal. You just can't use a spotlight unless you are on private property with permission.

Hey thefourthshake! Long time no see!

I stil haven't been back to that spo we checked out. Want to go hit it up? Let me know! Working on access to an excellent predator location or two at the moment.

Let's get out there and knock something down!

For the OP, I recomend predator extreme magazine. There is alot of good info in there, you just have to understand that most of the mag is for the midwest. There is some usefull info in there for us though.

I am in the eugene/syringfield area and would love to hook up iwth someone else in this area to hunt song dogs. I really miss coyote hunting in the desert ( AZ ) and would like to get back into it. I have seen a few in JC and in the farm towns, but nowhere that I know I can hunt.

Butcher, email me and we can meet to shoot and get to know eachother. Then maybe you will allow me to hunt with you.

BIGFOOT

For the OP, I recomend predator extreme magazine. There is alot of good info in there, you just have to understand that most of the mag is for the midwest. There is some usefull info in there for us though.

I am in the eugene/syringfield area and would love to hook up iwth someone else in this area to hunt song dogs. I really miss coyote hunting in the desert ( AZ ) and would like to get back into it. I have seen a few in JC and in the farm towns, but nowhere that I know I can hunt.

Butcher, email me and we can meet to shoot and get to know eachother. Then maybe you will allow me to hunt with you.

BIGFOOT

BigFoot I will get you a PM soon. Just yesterday, I checked out a new spot for coyote hunting that is pretty close by (I rode my bike) and there was predator sign all over the place (lots of bear sign, too). I think I found one of the bedding areas (I jumped something that was about 25 feet away that I couldn't see) and also a heavily-used game-trail intersection with a fresh cottontail kill in the middle of it.
Called something in while I was there (there is a stand there that just looks TO PERFECT for calling them in out of the thick stuff, and I just managed to see it turn tail into the brush out of the corner of my eye as he saw me/winded me. I think it was a bobcat, but may have been a small coyote or fox since I'm told cats won't wind you as often as a coyote will.

I now know of several areas just like it.

I would love to find someone around here to go tag some 'yotes with. I have been wanting to get into that for quite a while.

How far south will you travel?

Thick timber predator calling is some very challenging hunting I'll tell you that. I could have killed several deer in the time I've been hunting these predators.

I went yesterday and it was a real mother out there. After a mile up a 60&#37; grade and 2 dead end roads my heart was pounding but we kept treking and then the wind kicked up big time and then rain and snow but we called and got 2 to come but my hat blew off and I went to reach for it and gone. Then saw 2 bucks and an elk and called it a day. It was great thought and there are tons of coyote and going back Sunday for round 2.

Scott

How far south will you travel?

Thick timber predator calling is some very challenging hunting I'll tell you that. I could have killed several deer in the time I've been hunting these predators.

I am willing to travel for a learning experience. I have limited time until summer, but I would love to learn how to call em in.

Little humor here. Went to Joes to pick up my hunting license, and couldn't resist getting another predator call (I have a few already, just haven't put them to use).

Brought it home and decided to try it out. Apparently, it works well, as our German Shepherd Dog comes running up the stairs to investigate. :s0155:

On the downside, it apparently sounds too real, because my wife called that particular call "disturbing", and has forbidden me from using it in the house anymore. :s0112: First time she has said that about any of my calls.

I guess my plan of trying it out tonight and calling in the local pack of 'yotes I hear in the field behind my house is out of the question. :(

Little humor here. Went to Joes to pick up my hunting license, and couldn't resist getting another predator call (I have a few already, just haven't put them to use).

Brought it home and decided to try it out. Apparently, it works well, as our German Shepherd Dog comes running up the stairs to investigate. :s0155:

On the downside, it apparently sounds too real, because my wife called that particular call "disturbing", and has forbidden me from using it in the house anymore. :s0112: First time she has said that about any of my calls.

I guess my plan of trying it out tonight and calling in the local pack of 'yotes I hear in the field behind my house is out of the question. :(

I hope you didn't shoot the dog right there in the house!:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads