JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm awaiting the arrival of a new Savage 12 BVSS in .22-250 and would love to get the opportunity to hunt Coyote with it one day.
I've never hunted - can someone explain how a hunting license works? If I buy now is it good for a year, or until the end of 2009?
What else can I hunt with that license without requiring separate tags?

ORBrit, hunting nutria with your 22-250 would be a lot of fun. They are all around you: just got to find a legal area to shoot them.

Best part is they are plentiful, and fair game 365 days a year.

DSCN5748.jpg

+1

I've almost been attacked by them a few times while at the same time avoiding wrecking/running them over on the bike path when they run out in front of me all of the sudden.

They have pretty good fur.

When you live by a lake, they are everywhere. Luckily they are stupid, unlike the raccoons and coyotes out here in the city. It really is a shame that you legally can't shoot them with anything from an air rifle to a firearm within city limits.

Speaking of coyotes, I found a nutria skull about a year ago, picked clean. 2"-3" Chunks of hairy fat were found nearby along the lake shore. That coyote was hungry, because it looked like it had been washed and scrubbed. Pieces of eye, brain, and other tissue still remained inside, but for the most part all the flesh had been removed.

We have been slaying the Nutria out past coburg and around Harrisburg. They are abundant to say the least...

As far as coyote go I have had good luck up past Mill City on 22 and out in Eastern Oregon Fort Rock Area

Western OR:
myCoyoteShot_20080323.jpg

Eastern OR:
0927081513-1.jpg

Nice shot, dead center. Cute little guy, now that he's dead.

I hit this one on the 3rd shot too. 1st shot was while he was joggin away from me at about 80yds and missed. 2nd shot he was at a dead sprint going across the field at about 125yds and I hit just behind him and the 3rd shot I had him timed. he rolled about 3 or 4 times before going out biting his back leg. It was a blast. Anyway, thanks

The other one was at a stand still and double tapped him in the side at about 70yds. the bullet holes are on the the truck side, it was messy... he almost died on impact

Hmm, a friend of mine used to hunt.eat nutria when he lived down near N'Orluns... grew up with his pirogue playing on the bayous. True story. Shot bunches of them with his air pump pellet gun when he wasn't even a teenager yet. I had no idea they were around these parts. He never mentioned anything about pelts, but I can imagine the early settlers of the bayou country used the skins for something.

Now, I still have one question... any hints or suggestions as to how to preserve pelts, once removed from the dead critters? I know if you just leave it alone, after removal, it will either get hard and cracked, or rot/stink. Either way, not very pleasant to have hanging on one's wall. Or anywhere but in a deep hole.

Before I ventilate one of these doggies, I want to be prepared to properly deal with his fine suit of clothes.... else I've got no reward once the hole is dug and refilled. A few "trophies" to hang on the wall out in the roastery would be great....

The internet is your friend. Although I haven't used this method personally, it seems like it is a fairly step by step method to tan a yote hide by yourself.

<broken link removed>

Well, I finally went coyote hunting early this morning. My friend and I used an accurized AR-15, I'd like to go again. I had an excellent time There's a lot more to it than I originally anticipated.

Talk about excellent guidance, too.

It's fun though and glad you enjoyed yourself. Did you get in all camo? I had the best luck when covered head to toe. I think they are the most difficult animal to hunt and I think they are one of the smartest as well. I only got 2 this year so far but plan on going more often when summer comes. Good luck out there.

Scott

never been hunting before, never had anyone to teach/go with me. so if theres anyone who doesnt mind showing me the ropes i would love to come along and help out. any kind of hunting. recently been looking into turkey and coyote since its in season soon (turkey) but dont really have the gear for it. so if you guys respond to this realize i know nothing and have patience. thanks.

If you are going turkey you need head to toe camo and that is a must. They can spot you easily without gloves. You need to be able to sit still and relax. Must scout a little and you a good quality shotgun. Box calls are best to learn to call and a locator call is a must. They are smart and have great eye sight. Read up on it and find a local club and join. Plus they taste better fresh. Good luck.

Scott

I used to live on the East side on Vancouver, edge of town. On 172nd Ave, we had tons of coyotes around our house. First time I heard them at night, I thought it was young girls screaming and crying. There is a dog park there on 172nd and 18th, even saw a few walking into the dog park, which I thought was full of irony. I live out by Stayton OR, now and would love to meet someone to coyote hunt with me. I have never done it, but sounds fun. I'd also like to try fox hunting, if its legal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top