JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone coyote hunt? I herd the pelts go for 90 bucks and the skulls 10 but i have no idea who to sell them to , thats the easy part. The hard part is where to hunt them and if there is a season or a tag that needs to be purchased? Or some private land would be sweet! My brother and i just finished a couple dedicated coyote guns and would like info on how to get into this. I got a fresh new 4 x14 Nikon coyote special scope on a bull barrel AR 223 that needs some seat time. oh and i live in Vancouver Wa, but am not opposed to an out of state tag... thanks if you can help with info... i got a fever and the only cure is more coyote. lol

In WA, there's no season. Just need a regular hunting license. Can't use dogs. No separate tag required.
As far as where? I have no idea up there. Try asking around local ranchers to see if they have had any sightings or incidents with their calves in the past.

I use to hun them in Eastern Oregon. We used old chickens and tied their feet down with wire to the ground with lots of feed, then when down wind about 150 yards, found a good spot to sit and wait. Usually within 30 minutes we hjad game. for Oregon you just need a hunting license and permission from land owners to hunt them.

they kill calves, domestic pets, anything that is in their area of habitation that cannot defend itself.
I had an acquaintance lose 3 small dogs and 2 calves over the course of a month. They were concerned as they had small kids that would run around and play on their property.

They've even been known to kill adults
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html
http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

The "lack of fear" is very apparent in the ones I've seen on the trails (not while hunting them).
I've been on logging roads, just hiking and had stare downs with a coyote that didn't appear bothered by my presence at all. I've had reports from a young woman who went running on the same road that ended up having to turn around and come back as the coyote wouldn't move on.

I have found no stipulation in the WA hunting regs on magazine capacity. It just states any legal firearm and has caliber requirements for big game.

Anyone else from WA know this?

Right, in OR for big game here are the general provisions for Centerfire Firearm

* Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

* Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).

* Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

* Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.

You'll need a hunting license for Oregon. Not sure about magazine capacity.
Go to predatormasters.com and start reading. Lots of good info and good folks over there.

I live south of Salem. The sheep farmers lose a lot of lambs and I think they pay a hunter to kill coyotes. I talked to a hunter near my place who had a couple of dead ones and he was telling me about another hunter who got 27 one morning over the hill behind my place.

I am not a lawyer. I am not a game warden. I did call the Department of Fish and Wildlife once though and asked them that very same question.

In WA state, there is no restriction on the number of rounds carried in your hunting rifle for hunting big and small game. I was told by the responder at DF&W that you could put on a hundred round drum for all they care. If you are hunting game birds with a shotgun you are still limited to 3. As far as I know this has not changed.

I do know this Eastern yotes are worth more than the West and now is the time when their pelts are best. A few more months mange starts to set in and they are worthless. Bobcat is the way to go if you want to do it for money.... Bobcat brings in a good dollar. My last buddy got $270. I have only seen 2 and never shot at one though. 90% of the time they see, hear, or smell you before you even know they were there. Good luck and get a Foxpro and it will help a huge bunch.

Wow anyone able to confirm that those prices for pelts and skulls? If so who buys em and where are they?

When i said "If so who buys em and where are they?" I should have been more clear. I am interested in who buys coyote pelts, and where the buyers are located. I am planing on doing some coyote hunting this year, and having someone to take the carcasess or pelts to would be awesome since I don't really know how to process pelts.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top