JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always been a paper clay and steel shooter myself. Shootin critters was just not my thing. However I have complete support for those that do. There are parts of this country where some animals are no longer in balance due to human factors. Nutria around the Willamette valley, Pigs in the South. You could hunt your a$$ off and never even make a dent in the population. I have no problem with Yotes hunting. Bounty or competition, It's all the same.

I will be moving to the Carolinas in a few years and my soon to be Son in law will be teaching me Hawg'n AND YES THEY HUNT WITH AR-15s!!!!

I've always been a paper clay and steel shooter myself. Shootin critters was just not my thing. However I have complete support for those that do. There are parts of this country where some animals are no longer in balance due to human factors. Nutria around the Willamette valley, Pigs in the South. You could hunt your a$$ off and never even make a dent in the population. I have no problem with Yotes hunting. Bounty or competition, It's all the same.

I will be moving to the Carolinas in a few years and my soon to be Son in law will be teaching me Hawg'n AND YES THEY HUNT WITH AR-15s!!!!

I am jealous.

People don't need to be insulting others. Leadcouncil, are you aware that you are paying a lot of money, assuming that you are a taxpayer, to have fish and wildlife "manage" ie, kill, Coyotes right now? If you are not aware that the state (that is, all of us taxpayers) is paying to kill them, as in shooting them out of helicopters and such: then you really need to educate yourself before you start judging these guys, as you clearly have no clue whats what. I don't kill them myself, but I pay to kill plenty via my taxes. Personally, I'd rather these guys do it. I heard that the last helicopter run through the hills by North Powder got over 100 "executed". Paid for by us taxpayers. And that's just a small part of the killing which the experts we hire, consider necessary.

Perhaps next time you can do some research before you display your ignorance so openly. Hope that doesn't come off too bad, but it's the truth.

Regards to all

Originally by Oregonhunter5

Yep the maturity and intellect is coming through...

Says the pot to the kettle.
Your last post really says it all. You don't support any kind of hunting. You are an idiot when it comes to coyote hunting (blind? really?), and you are only here to foist your asinine perspective on those who are actually knowledgeable of vector control.
Oh, and I do get my hands bloody when I coyote hunt, when I'm peeling the fur off.

I don't see the problem here, other than it is a Coyote Derby. I have to agree with the bass fishing derby. Maybe the state should sell tags year round. I know how the coyotes affect ranchers and wild heards, which begs the question; what is more brutal, a pack of coyotes taking down a helpless calf or a hunter dropping a pack with a .223?
Waste... I think their pelts could be used. As far as wasting the meat goes, there are neuromas cultures right here in the US that consider dog a delicacy. (Wolves (canis lupus), coyotes (canis latrans), and domestic dogs (canis familiaris) are closely-related species. All three can interbreed and produce viable, fertile offspring — wolfdogs, coywolves, and coydogs.) I would think the coyote would taste the same as dog. You could even send some to Zero. He says he has had it and liked it.
Personally I only shoot what I will eat, but I see nothing wrong with thinning out the packs to save other animals.
Leadcounsel, You need to find another forum to haunt...

It's imhumane, pure and simple. You can't guaranteed these animals aren't feeling pain and suffering. You're just shootin' em and letting them suffer and die.

Hmmm I wonder how a coyote feels when being ripped apart by Wolves? Maybe a little pain and suffering? As most people know Nature kills with much more pain and suffering than a 55gr in the boiler room.

<broken link removed>

While leadcounsel's general overview toward the imperitave and factual necessity to control coyote populations is not something I can agree with (and he lacks some research/education on how difficult the sport can be) , I can understand his revulsion toward making the taking of wildlife a competition. Doing so, I will agree, demeans the animal, demeans the sportsman, and certainly supplies easy fodder for those who campaign against hunting in its entirety.

With an effort toward full disclosure, as a younger man I DID participate in more than one competition toward ground squirrel (sage-rat) control. There is an excellent treatise regarding stages of a hunter's life (career), that recognizes an early stage where everything is killed, later an interest in the biggest and best, and finally a tempered interest that requires reverent respect for the animal. I like to believe I have arrived at the latter.

As a member of numerous hunting/conservation groups, I could not bring myself to join Safari Club, as a result of their "heirarchy of achievement" award system. I just saw too many articles in their magazine which included statements similar to: " I knew when I pulled the trigger on that buck that I had advanced to Gold Level Third Degree with Oak Clusters", or some such. For myself and many others whose lives revolve around hunting, this degrades the sport, bordering (for us at least) on obscenity.

Having said all that: here's my most recent service I could provide toward the sheep and cattle ranching family that has allowed me on their Montana ranch for over 40 years:

PA120149_zps83ae421a.jpg

Coyote hunts are huge in my area, I work in central Washington during the summer or an agriculture company and carry my 270 because my boss pays for every coyote shot on his property

In my opinion, the competition only attracts hunters to work in an area that needs more control. There is nothing distasteful about it to me. And in terms of big game, that harvest is limited by tags and bag limits....spike only etc... so you aren't exceeding numbers that provide sustainable herds.

From the flyer at the (Willamette Valley Arms) gun store...

Howlin’ Mad Coyote Derby
February 13th-28th
Must sign up at, Willamette Valley Arms: 2110 NE Cornell Rd Hillsboro, OR
Top prize based on coyote count. Winning team will receive two (Thompson Center, Dimension) rifles chambered in .223, and a private hunt with Mossy Oak Pro staff member, and professional coyote hunter, John Brody.
There will be a secondary contest. Record your own PG13 rated coyote hunt to be voted on by our facebook followers. The team with the most facebook likes on our page will win at least 20 pounds of Tannerite valued at $200.
Estimated over, $4000 in prizes, including door prizes.
We will begin Feb. 13th, 7:30pm at the Hillsboro Trap & Skeet Club, (33295 NW Wren Road, Hillsboro, OR) with a coyote hunting seminar by John Brody.
Cost: $100 per team. Proceeds will be donated to a local 4-H Shooting Club

Must hunt within Oregon. Two persons per team. No trapping. No splitting up. No hunting with dogs. No aerial hunting.

Hosted by, Willamette Valley Arms (503)547-1911

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads