JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WalMart has freeze dried food as well. I don't remember the brand, but it is much cheaper than Costco

Rolled oats, 180 servings in 5 gallon bucket, under 12 bucks!

They also sell a dinner pack with 280 servings for 64 bucks.

I get a can or two each shopping trip to even out the cost. I am up to 60 days for a family of 3.

Just my 2 cents.

I go to the Wal-Mart on 192nd Ave in Vancouver. The freeze dried food is in the grocery section. Vancouver is usually pretty well stocked. I got a can of the beef bouillon and some side dishes too. They had a 20 year can of vegetable seeds as well, but that has been out of stock for a while.

If you are a do it yourselfer, you can get 50 pounds of long grain white rice on sale at Cash and Carry for $17. If you get the bags, O-2 disks, and buckets you are still under $30 for 50 pounds of rice. If you want rice as your mainstay, you can put away a lot of rice cheap.
:s0131:

******PLUS- Wal-Mart does not have a no concealed carry policy. I don't have to disarm to go shopping********

Well I finally got my mess starightened with Costco and place an order for sets of cases, this will help get to where I want to be quickly.
Cool! I recommend writing in marker on the top of each can what's in side...with a 25 year life I can see labels not surviving. I also got a can opener & threw in one of the cases. Im actually surprised this deal hasn't sold out yet...I've missed out more than once in the past on things like this.

I recommend writing in marker on the top of each can what's in side...with a 25 year life I can see labels not surviving.

For whatever it's worth, I have 11-year old cans of this stuff in boxes that look just fine - no degradation of the labels. The food lasts longest if stored in a nice, dark, cool environment, so that should lead to long label life.

I do, however, mark the outsides of the boxes with expiration date and what's inside (if not already noted on a box label).

WalMart has freeze dried food as well. I don't remember the brand, but it is much cheaper than Costco

What's the expiration date for the WalMart freeze dried foods? I have no doubt there are cheaper freeze dried options out there, but most don't seem to have a 25+ year shelf life like the Mountain House #10 can products. I've also been happy with the quality/flavor of Mountain House products - can't say that about some other freeze dried out there (for example, I don't care for Backpackers Pantry products when I'm camping).

I've stored rice and various beans for well past a decade in gamma sealed buckets. White beans are the best/tastyist after 15 years. Other beans get harder to cook correctly as they age. I found a pressure cooker solves 90% of cooking problems. You can make-up the deficencies in old beans and rice with a simple vitamin once weekly, and if you get scurrvy, eat something green, even moss will do!

For whatever it's worth, I have 11-year old cans of this stuff in boxes that look just fine - no degradation of the labels. The food lasts longest if stored in a nice, dark, cool environment, so that should lead to long label life.

I do, however, mark the outsides of the boxes with expiration date and what's inside (if not already noted on a box label).

I made labels for the boxes (cases) and am going to leave the cans in the boxes and put them on the shelves in the basement

If the SHTF and you're hunkered down, you might not have heat. I wouldn't put "all my eggs" in food that need cooking. You might not even want smoke coming from a chimney. Depending, you might have to really conserve water so soaking food might even be difficult.

After reading a couple of real life stories from Venezuela and Bosnia, I've really changed my mind on what things could be like. Dangerous is just one of them.

If the SHTF and you're hunkered down, you might not have heat. I wouldn't put "all my eggs" in food that need cooking. You might not even want smoke coming from a chimney. Depending, you might have to really conserve water so soaking food might even be difficult.

From the <broken link removed> :

Simple Food Preparation
Our freeze-dried foods are easy to prepare-just add hot water...wait 10 minutes...and eat! If a heat source is not available, room temperature or cold water can be used, too. Because no cooking is needed, these foods require much less water and fuel than most fresh, frozen or dehydrated foods (further conserving these two precious commodities.)

But, I agree - it's good to have different types of food available. I also have a mix of buckets-o-food, MREs and SOS/LifeBoat Rations in my supplies. (plus all the other food I regularly keep in the house)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top