JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I attended one, but it was all about talking about how it works. There was no practical practice or actual loading going on by those attending. If you know of a place that actually shows you and makes you use your own two hands in the learning process that would be helpful.
A quick search in your area brought up this outfit in Salem. I don't know if they are still in business, so you would have to call.
Reloading clinic

Also, if i am reading your post correctly, maybe invest in a good/used single stage press.

You can go slow and go through each stage one at a time to see what the entire process is like. Sizing, seating primers, filling with powder, seating bullet to proper OAL, crimping, etc. Having the basic knowledge is a good foundation to build upon, especially before diving right into a progressive.

Shouldn't be much more than $50-$75. A good investment when getting started. And, if you chose to go to a progressive only you can always sell single stage for what you have into it. Dies are usually all interchangeable with the various manufacturers so you can keep and use them on whatever you decide to go with.

YMMV.

Good luck and have fun! It is almost therapeutic once you get going.

:s0155:
I would most certainly be starting out on a single stage for sure! But some of it was like being curious about load data. Like if I have 7.62 brass can I still load to 308 specs since there is not much load data on 7.62 aside from using ball projectiles.. Just things like that I would like to talk with someone about it who knows more than I do. It's more of the technical part that I am trying to pick up on. I have some Barnes bullets and primed 7.62 brass but no load data exists for 7.62 using the Barnes projectiles I have, the load data only exists for 308. That's why I was asking more seasoned reloaders for help in seeing the process. But somehow I am quickly regretting even asking, apparently my tone is one of a demand rather than a question..

Last Edited:
I would defiantly be starting out on a single stage for sure! But some of it was like being curious about load data. Like if I have 7.62 brass can I still load to 308 specs since there is not much load data on 7.62 aside from using ball projectiles.. Just things like that I would like to talk with someone about who knows more than I do. It's more of the technical part that I am trying to pick up on. I have some Barnes bullets and primed 7.62 brass but no load data exists for 7.62 using the Barnes projectiles I have, the load data only exists for 308. That's why I was asking more seasoned reloaders for help in seeing the process. But somehow I am quickly regretting even asking, apparently my tone is one of a demand rather than a question..
Specific bullet isn't that important. Weight and basic style is what counts.

Specific bullet isn't that important. Weight and basic style is what counts.
True, and I get that. But let's just say you have 7.62 brass but only have load data on 308 when it comes to the projectile. I have a lot of 7.62 brass that I would be reloading on. So it's just the confusion of say using 7.62 brass and loading it using 308 data, would that be an issue or not type of thing.

I would most certainly be starting out on a single stage for sure! But some of it was like being curious about load data. Like if I have 7.62 brass can I still load to 308 specs since there is not much load data on 7.62 aside from using ball projectiles.. Just things like that I would like to talk with someone about it who knows more than I do. It's more of the technical part that I am trying to pick up on. I have some Barnes bullets and primed 7.62 brass but no load data exists for 7.62 using the Barnes projectiles I have, the load data only exists for 308. That's why I was asking more seasoned reloaders for help in seeing the process. But somehow I am quickly regretting even asking, apparently my tone is one of a demand rather than a question..

It's all good. Maybe us readers are confused???

Assuming it is 7.62x51:

As @Mikej mentioned, brand of bullet usually makes no difference. It's typically bullet weight and style listed in any reloading manual.

if you have 7.62 brass i am assuming it also has LC on it too? As the above article mentions, 7.62 could just mean that it is military brass. Military brass is usually thicker than "name brand" brass. ("Remington", "Winchester", etc). Rule of thumb is when loading military brass, reduce your powder load by 10% to account for the thicker brass that the military uses.

*Follow the 308 recommended load data - BUT - if using military brass, reduce your powder load or you will end up with some extremely high pressures in your chamber.

Just trying to help......

True, and I get that. But let's just say you have 7.62 brass but only have load data on 308 when it comes to the projectile. I have a lot of 7.62 brass that I would be reloading on. So it's just the confusion of say using 7.62 brass and loading it using 308 data, would that be an issue or not type of thing.
If that was a concern I would weigh the two, .308/7.62, and see if there was a difference. If loading in the lower pressures I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure, for sure, but you may need to add crimp removing on 7.62 brass during prep. No, that's right, you have primed 7.62.

It's all good. Maybe us readers are confused???

Assuming it is 7.62x51:

As @Mikej mentioned, brand of bullet usually makes no difference. It's typically bullet weight and style listed in any reloading manual.

if you have 7.62 brass i am assuming it also has LC on it too? As the above article mentions, 7.62 could just mean that it is military brass. Military brass is usually thicker than "name brand" brass. ("Remington", "Winchester", etc). Rule of thumb is when loading military brass, reduce your powder load by 10% to account for the thicker brass that the military uses.

Just trying to help......

So I have SAR primed 7.62 brass, but I have some Barnes TTSX 180 grain projectiles. When you go to the manual there is no load data for a 180 grain projectile under 7.62. So I go to the .308 load data and it's all there.. But am I making a mistake loading 7.62 brass using 308 data. But I think you just clarified that by saying reduce by 10% because of the thicker brass. But am I reducing by 10% off the minimum grain load or the maximum grain load? Like max charge in a certain powder is 43 grains and the min charge for the same powder is 39 grains, that type of thing.

SAR appears to be a Turkish company called Sarsilmaz.

I hope those links help.

It would not be a mistake to use 308 load data in 7.62 brass. Just remember the rule of thumb of reducing the load by 10% when using military brass.

10% reduction should be across the board at any load in the 308 load data using 7.62 military brass.

Example, if the 308 load data calls for 43gr, use the rule of thumb for loading 7.62 military brass and reduce the load by 10%. 43gr - 10% (or 4.3gr) = 38.7gr would be my starting load in the 7.62 military case.

Same with 39gr. 39 - 10% (3.9) = 35.1 would be my starting load.

If we were closer I'd invite you over. My single stage is currently mounted and collecting dust. PM me if you'd be willing to make a drive to Vancouver.

SAR appears to be a Turkish company called Sarsilmaz.

I hope those links help.

It would not be a mistake to use 308 load data in 7.62 brass. Just remember the rule of thumb of reducing the load by 10% when using military brass.

10% reduction should be across the board at any load in the 308 load data using 7.62 military brass.

Example, if the 308 load data calls for 43gr, use the rule of thumb for loading 7.62 military brass and reduce the load by 10%. 43gr - 10% (or 4.3gr) = 38.7gr would be my starting load in the 7.62 military case.

If we were closer I'd invite you over. My single stage is currently mounted and collecting dust. PM me if you'd be willing to make a drive to Vancouver.

Ok that makes sense, thanks a lot for the help and clarification.. It's just hard when you have say 5.56 brass but only have the load data for 223 or in the reverse order 7.62 brass but only load data for 308. I have a lot of military brass to make use of, so I will just do as as you stated and make sure to keep the charge down by 10% when using the military brass I have. I have a couple young ones at home so I don't get up there much. But if I do I will most certainly send you a PM, thanks again.

I went to the Barnes web site and found this:
7.62 x 51 is the full NATO name for 7.62
Saw that too, only problem is that the projectiles I have are not listed on the load data. I have 180 grain TTSX on hand and that load data for 7.62 only goes as far as a 168 Grain TAC X projectile. To get load data on the 180 grain TTSX you need to click on 308 load data, but I am using 7.62 brass since I already have some primed and ready to load. I don't have any primers and I only have 7.62 brass on hand, as it was given to me by a friend who moved out of state, it's brand new primed brass.

Last Edited:
It could be that the 180's are too heavy for a gas operated gun (7.62) but are fine in a bolt gun(308). Why don't you call Barnes and ask them for help.
They where about as useful as a three dollar bill, they just said ya we don't have any data on that loading, and nothing else to offer, not even so much as a suggestion.

I guess I got frustrated as the original post seemed more a declaration than a query. Trying to be helpful in my own way.
I don't know...... looks a little like 1687379576580.png to me :rolleyes: You usually stand your ground.:D

Since this is your first time why not start off with a tried and true book load and then when you get some experience and a sold knowledge base you can make educated best guess experiments.

Do we know for a fact that this particular 7.62 X 51 brass is actually heavier with less internal space?
Glad I don't have to dink around worrying about that stuff/caliber. :s0155:

Since this is your first time why not start off with a tried and true book load and then when you get some experience and a sold knowledge base you can make educated best guess experiments.
Excellent advice. OP, start out by using the specific components and loads listed in what ever manual you choose. Then, if you choose to invest in the equipment, you can read and learn how variations of those components affect the cartridge's performance and safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews