JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In learning reloading, and after initial Research, you will need to continue with Education. Learn all you can about the calibers you want to reload so you understand the history, and any new info on what others have tried. As with most things, this is a continual process.

There are members on this forum who have been Reloading for decades and have a wealth of experience. And the Education process goes on and on. I started Reloading two years ago, am reloading 7 calibers, and am constantly picking up info and tricks every time I sit at the workbench. Now there are those who just want to reload a few calibers and are satisfied with what they know and have done for many years and are satisfied with that. My feeling is that's what takes the fun out of it. I've seen Reloaders simply quit because of one reason or another, but one major reason is they "lose interest".

Among several learning methods is actually "doing it" with hands-on. Your going to have to spend some money getting started, but it can be started with less than $1000, especially if you start with one caliber.

I started with 9mn (generally a simple one), then quickly added .223. I borrowed an RCBS Jr to learn each step, started with 100 once-fired brass, bought 1lb of Bullseye, and a few hundred small pistol primers. Even though some scoffed at my Reloading 9mm because "there's plenty of that around all the time", I'm glad I did because when the bottom dropped out of that caliber's availability recently, I was still Reloading several hundred rounds for shooting in competitions.

My first major press purchase was a Lee Turret Press, but my reloading tools are still expanding and morphing. I started dry-tumbling, then switched to the wet-tumbling method. I've tried a lot of things I've heard about and others have tried, until I found what works for me.

Find a Reloader close to Corvallis and watch them work during their reloading sessions.

There is so much to learn about that it never gets old. I keep adding to my set of tools, selling others off on this forum, and always ask questions; even those that seem to be dumb. Reloaders on this forum are always willing to help and encourage you along. When you are Reloading and you have an idea or a question, you learn early on that there are no dumb questions. If God gave you two eyes, two ears, and ten fingers, you will want to keep them.

Enjoy your new hobby! 👌 (not a white-supremacy symbol).

I'm near Corvallis and have been reloading for the better part of 25yrs. I echo the comments above me, especially the fact that you can start cheap and work your way up.

I have taught several co workers how to reload and typically recommend they start on a single stage press and learn how to do everything manually first, this will give you a much better understanding of the process, tooling, and equipment that you will want (it will also save you a ton in the long run). Knowing the entire process and how things work from a single stage perspective will help you immensely if you move to progressive presses later on.

I'd also recommend starting with straight wall cartridges (i.e 9, 40, 45, etc) as that is going to be a bit easier to pick up the fundamentals and process. Bottle neck cases take a bit more work and understanding to do correctly. I'm not saying you can't start there, I'm just saying it takes a bit to understand.

I personally have two progressive presses set up and two single stages that I use on a quick change mount. This set up works really well for me and allows me to do things quickly, but took me about 20yrs to finally decide to move up from my one single stage press.

If you're really interested in learning send me a PM and we can chat

I have done the research, but want to learn before I go out and buy 1k worth of equipment and components.
I would say in these times, what with the political CRAP , sue happy people and extreme shortages of components, people holding classes just aren't out there anymore. There used to be a guy that did just what you're wanting in the Milwaukie area just south of potland. I think he probably stopped several years ago. He use to post about his classes here. So what's said above. Get you a kit, then peruse the classifieds to pick up other parts. It'll take sometime, but even if you decide you don't like it, you won't take a HUGE hit in selling it off. Don't look at it as starting a business that will pay. Look at it as starting a "hobby" that YOU pay, for. You don't start fishing, or racing cars for the "Pay".

There's a lot of help to be had from the members here too.

I teach or rather mentor reloading down here in Creswell. I've been rolling my own for over 40 years and am a competitive shooter. Now days I own The Proficient Marksman Ammunition Company. I'm not saying I know it all, only that I might have picked up a clue or two along the way.

Op, what are you wanting to reload? I ask because there are different ways to reload that pencil out as worth while. Are you wanting precision ammo or blasting ammo? Time restraints or money restraints? Do you have the time for slower machines, do you have the money for production machines? Do you want to save money by buying used or do you want new?

Op, what are you wanting to reload? I ask because there are different ways to reload that pencil out as worth while. Are you wanting precision ammo or blasting ammo? Time restraints or money restraints? Do you have the time for slower machines, do you have the money for production machines? Do you want to save money by buying used or do you want new?
More for precision and self defense ammo. So TTX Barnes VOR TX Barnes, and precision cartridges for my AR-10. I have plenty of blasting ammo, I want to make more specialty ammo, as that ammo is like 2.00-3.00 a round right now which is ridiculous.

LWH made an excellent suggestion with the original Lee Loader. One loader per cartridge type, and they are slow. But they make excellent quality ammunition and are used by many bench rest shooters. However they are essentially designed for a single gun, as the ammunition they make isn't always interchangable between firearms. If time isn't essential it's the cheapest way to learn to reload as all the steps are the same. Decap, size (don't forget to lube the case), charge, seat bullet. If whacking it with a hammer doesn't float your boat you can always buy a cheap arbor press from Harbor Freight.

More for precision and self defense ammo. So TTX Barnes VOR TX Barnes, and precision cartridges for my AR-10. I have plenty of blasting ammo, I want to make more specialty ammo, as that ammo is like 2.00-3.00 a round right now which is ridiculous.
Have you penciled out the cost per round before its cost beneficial? If you can get components first it might be better to use a friend's equipment and load a supply. Cost today is very expensive on everything. Here is a good site to get an average price on the things you need. Its not a perfect place to buy at but great for cost comparisons.

LWH made an excellent suggestion with the original Lee Loader. One loader per cartridge type, and they are slow. But they make excellent quality ammunition and are used by many bench rest shooters. However they are essentially designed for a single gun, as the ammunition they make isn't always interchangable between firearms. If time isn't essential it's the cheapest way to learn to reload as all the steps are the same. Decap, size (don't forget to lube the case), charge, seat bullet. If whacking it with a hammer doesn't float your boat you can always buy a cheap arbor press from Harbor Freight.
I started with the Lee Loaders when I bought my first revolver in 357. It made good ammo as long as you paid attent and straight walled cases were easy and could be used in any same caliber gun. Young and poor with a love to shoot in those days. I bought extra caliber loaders in case my presses break.

I started with the Lee Loaders when I bought my first revolver in 357. It made good ammo as long as you paid attent and straight walled cases were easy and could be used in any same caliber gun. Young and poor with a love to shoot in those days. I bought extra caliber loaders in case my presses break.
LOL, my first reloading dies was a Lee Loader for .45 Colt, about 1975 or so. The first time I didn't use any case lube. Big mistake. However after learning a bit there came .45acp, .30 Carbine, .243 Winchester (where the loaded cartridge from one rifle just may not fit another rifle as the rifle dies more neck size than full size). Transitioned to a "Rockchucker," then a progressive, and back to the "Rockchucker" as I'm still shooting ammunition I loaded 20 years ago with the progressive. I sort of went nuts and loaded up many thousands. Now I'm content with my "Rockerchucker", it's an excellent single stage press that won't burp loading .25acp or .458 WINMAG. And right now I've about 22 or so different calibers.

Edit: I originally mentioned 25 calibers, but there are a few I've sold off that I once reloaded for.

Last Edited:
LOL, my first reloading dies was a Lee Loader for .45 Colt, about 1975 or so. The first time I didn't use any case lube. Big mistake. However after learning a bit there came .45acp, .30 Carbine, .243 Winchester (where the loaded cartridge from one rifle just may not fit another rifle as the rifle dies more neck size than full size). Transitioned to a "Rockchucker," then a progressive, and back to the "Rockchucker" as I'm still shooting ammunition I loaded 20 years ago with the progressive. I sort of went nuts and loaded up many thousands. Now I'm content with my "Rockerchucker', it's an excellent single stage press that won't burp loading .25acp or .458 WINMAG. And right now I've about 25 or so different calibers.
I have been reloading 50 years, my bil got me started as a teenager. Loaded the popular calibers and only worked for accuracy on rifle rounds. First press was an RCBS junior which was a big step up from Lee loaders. 100 rounds an hour of 357 with the Jr was my best production.

My dillions are far better.

I'm getting ready to put some extra loading equipment up for sale in the classifieds soon, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Decent older RCBS stuff, including a Rock Chucker and a Junior. If you look around, you can find this stuff very reasonable. A couple hundred bucks will often buy a very decent single-stage setup, including a scale, powder measure, and most of the extras.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top