JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Government officials are geniuses the world over:

Godzilla_Facepalm.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I think you meant to type he would disagree with me?

That's ok, lots already do! :s0155: AND, I've even been wrong before, many many times!

I hope no one here takes my opinion and uses it for their own decisions.
Yes.
And this has been a good conversation we are not telling everybody we know it all but trying to figure it all out...

<<< Knowing I am at the risk of this having already been addressed as I am 4 pages behind, I put this here so I wouldn't forget. >>>

People go to the ER for headaches and coughs? I was always told not to bother unless your fever hit 104 and didn't come down with Tylenol. Anything less is just too expensive to have seen at the ER.

They can't turn you away at the ER. So, the poor's go there, only.

Also, in many places, you get a voucher for transportation home. My SIL had a position where she would issue those. Families would come in, get a kid checked out (maybe 4- 6hours) then use the taxi voucher to go visit relatives - -4-6 hours away from home on the expressway. Benefits are used.

I advocate that the policy of not turning away needs to extend to Urgent Care, Not just ERs, And, require every hospital to have an UC associated nearby (if not on the property) Would cut expenses, and UC can upgrade a patient to ER status after triage as required. Clear ER & Trauma cases would just go to the ER / Level 1 Trauma center.

edit / update
Was addressed:

Alarmist amends his death prediction numbers in UK from 500,000 to 20,000
Not a big deal. There never yet has been a computer model that was useful for prediction. The new one is probably no better than the old one. You can derive an equation to fit just about any data set, but when it comes to projecting into the future, they have never worked.

Um... hospitals admit those who need the care, regardless of age or "numbers". I'm not sure I understand your point.

You say this isn't worse than the flu, but every time your given a reason why it is, you seem to wave it away by essentially saying "well, those people are old or unhealthy, so of course they'd die, or get a serious case."
Does the death toll or serious case count only matter if they were young and healthy? A case is a case, and each one puts more strain on a healthcare system that isn't designed to take the surge of a pandemic. That's the danger - when the ICUs become overrun, the death rate will go up.

My friend has been feeling really sick (flu-like symptoms, high fever, delirious as a result, etc....) for about a week. He is older and afraid that he may have the coronavirus. His wife is a stewardess (is that word OK to use?). Anyway, he went to the hospital here in Vancouver to try and get tested.

The hospital more or less told him.....

"No test for you, unless you get admitted."

WTF? He doesn't feel that he needs to be admitted. YET. As he doesn't feel like he's dying. YET. He doesn't want to take up valuable resources.

What is the hospital trying to do? Run up the numbers? And costs?

So anyway.....he went home.....to continue his "sheltering in place" and getting better on his own.

Now think about it....

1) The hospital didn't want to use one of their valuable test kits. Saving them for themselves? OK....I see that they are more at risk.
2) But, he goes home and infects how many (if he has it)? And, everyone who may have even a slight contact w/ his family members may also be at risk.
3) Then....... say that a non-paying (uninsured) person went to the hospital. Well, that person has practically no incentive to "not be admitted" to the hospital. Rrrright.....3 squares and a nice warm bed at the tax payer's expense.

I thought that the medical profession was more about......

"Defensive Medicine" Better safe than sorry......Rrrright....LIABILITY was already mentioned.

Whatever......

Yes, I realize that test kits are in short supply and these are terrible times. Do I blame the President? No. I blame the CCP. But then, the saddest thing is......I don't expect that the USA will change our relationship with them as a result.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
My friend has been feeling really sick for about a week. He is older and afraid that he may have the coronavirus. His wife is a stewardess (is that word OK to use?). Anyway, he went to the hospital here in Vancouver to try and get tested.

The hospital more or less told him.....

"No test for you, unless you get admitted."

WTF? He doesn't feel that he needs to be admitted. As he doesn't feel like he's dying, YET. He doesn't want to take up valuable resources.

What is the hospital trying to do? Run up the numbers? And costs?

So anyway.....he went home.....to continue his "sheltering in place".

Now think about it....

1) The hospital didn't want to use one of their valuable test kits. Saving them for themselves? OK....I see that they are more at risk.
2) But, he goes home and infects how many (if he has it)? Of course....everyone who may have slight may also be now at risk.
3) Then....... say that a non-paying (uninsured) person went to the hospital. Well, that person has practically no incentive to "not be admitted" to the hospital. Rrrright.....3 squares and a nice warm bed at the tax payer's expense.

I thought that the medical profession was more about......

"Defensive Medicine (Better safe than sorry)"

Whatever......

Yes, I realize that test kits are in short supply and these are terrible times. Do I blame the President? No. I blame the CCP. But then, the saddest thing is......I don't expect that the USA will change our relationship with them as a result.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a little.

Aloha, Mark
My S.I.L. (34 y.o.)has been sick going on 2 weeks. He had a fluctuating fever for about a week, sore throat, cough. He's over the fever now but still feeling poorly and short of breath. He finally went to the doctor yesterday (after calling first). Tested negative for flu, diagnosis: pneumonia. But they wouldn't test him for COVID - said not enough tests available. He has an appointment for a chest x-ray today. Had to get him an appointment at a clinic with an x-ray machine, because they told him not to go near the hospital. Interesting times.

Last Edited:
Alarmist amends his death prediction numbers in UK from 500,000 to 20,000

To be fair, he estimated the impact of the virus on the basis of the UK's then policy of ignoring it - which would have seen widespread transmission and an overwhelmed NHS. Because the UK has finally acted to contain Covid-19, the underlying assumptions of his study changed and his conclusions changed.

Italy has 27% of their population over 65 and they are highly bunched with all age groups in their cities. Italy is by far the oldest country in the world. The average age of death and Italy is over 80. China put pressure on Italy to not stop flights from China in the most infested area. So much went wrong in Italy

I read an article a few days back about all the factors (e.g., demographics, medical, cultural, etc.) that culminated in Italy's situation. Bad situation all around.

Alas, the US is on track to be number one in terms of infected very soon. :(

To be fair, he estimated the impact of the virus on the basis of the UK's then policy of ignoring it - which would have seen widespread transmission and an overwhelmed NHS. Because the UK has finally acted to contain Covid-19, the underlying assumptions of his study changed and his conclusions changed.
It's not the number of contaminations it's the number of people affected. The numbers were wrong because the death rate is wrong.

This is supposed to be a good site for updated numbers if that interest you but again there's no way to determine the infection rate because not everybody is tested.

Status

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top