JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The problem I see with this virus versus the flu is that about 1 in 4 or 5 develops pneumonia as a result.

Without proper hospital care, pneumonia will be more fatal than the flu.

Side note - saw some older dude today at the Roseburg Lowes completely buy them out of n95 masks while I was at the checkout counter.

If this takes hold here, the panic will be far worse for us than the actual virus!

LOL, take a look at places like Amazon for surgical masks, they are wiped out. It is funny in a way how the panic sets in. Good for the places that make the masks. They are going full tilt to catch up. Thousands already had this and got better. The media hypes the few who get really sick and or die and that's all it takes to start a full blown panic. It will be interesting to watch. Now days there is no way to actually stop it now. Since those who catch it show no symptoms while still spreading it.

At my local Mart store Friday. I saw a lady that was looking for masks. She was told they were out. o_O
This is another example of why all should keep some basic stuff at home. Just as with emergency food, some basic first aid. Wife first mentioned the masks to me days ago. I had to remind her we have a couple boxes of them in the emergency stuff for just this reason and she is off the ledge now :)
Seriously though it's just another reminder. All should keep a supply of basic stuff. People get so used to just going to the store for stuff that when a panic hits like this, the stores are wiped out and then many start to panic. :cool:

Not panic time yet, there are 8 confirmed cases in usa, with a 7-14 incubation even if this pops off big it will be several weeks before it goes crazy. Most likley masks wont do bubblegum anyway.

For anyone wanting surgical masks just order from amazom or fleabay, they will provide low cost or free shipping direct from China to your door... :s0057: Why wait.

Is there something magical about these masks?... is there some reason they can't be made at home?

Looking at pictures of masked throngs at airports etc...ill fitting, pulling them off and on to talk/pick noses/eat.
Lots people still rubbing their eyes .... :rolleyes: makes you wonder if these masks are mostly to LOOK like somethings being done.

Is there something magical about these masks?... is there some reason they can't be made at home?

Looking at pictures of masked throngs at airports etc...ill fitting, pulling them off and on to talk/pick noses/eat.
Lots people still rubbing their eyes .... :rolleyes: makes you wonder if these masks are mostly to LOOK like somethings being done.

The mask is just a small part of it. Like all Flu this is spread by getting the virus to your nose, mouth, even eyes. The virus lives for a while outside the host, like on surfaces. So most who get it touch it then touch their face, mouth, eyes and such. So it gets into the new host. The mask will not magically protect anyone but since many are being told the sky is falling they jump too. Those who wear a mask if they are not washing their hands before taking the mask off will of course just infect themselves. So yes, the panic to buy masks is a huge waste for most since they really don't know or follow what they need to do to keep from becoming the next host. Nothing changes with humans. Tell them to panic and a whole lot of them fall in line and panic.

I had to fly to LAX and back last week. Saw lots of masks on otherwise healthy looking 20-somethings who weren't being all that stringent about procedure. The situation did make me hyper aware of all the coughing around me. But, truthfully, it probably wasn't any more sickly than normal. I fly about twice a month on average for work. I hit the Airborne or Emergen-C a couple days before, during, and after each trip and almost never contract anything noticable. For average, marginally healthy folk like most of us, I don't think this is a major event.

Being Asian, maybe I can get a movie screening all to myself by coughing and hacking really loudly. Or perhaps a free meal if I cough all over the money when I pay.

I think a lot more heads will turn if we see things crack 80-100K confirmed cases.
It's already pretty close. Like I said in another post, according to the people of Chinese descent I've been dealing with buying all my n95 masks, their relatives in China are claiming 90,000 or more

I always have some masks (Packages of them.) on hand due to the horrific forest fires and smoke since I moved out west.

Cate

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top