JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That guide had been "around the horn" a few times.
He had that Smith Wonder Nine loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo, I think it was.
And he was cool and deliberate while under attack.

That's the hard part....having the stones to stand in there and take good shots.
And that's plural....he was picking his best shots to kill the bear and not hit his clients.

I agree that it took more stones to be calm enough for shot placement. Experience is also KEY.;)

I've had a couple 10mm pistols over the last couple years. The ballistics are in fact impressive, with the right loads. Most commercial 10mm seems to be a hair over .40S&W (180gr@1000-1050ish). The original load is 180gr@1200+ and definitely packs a punch. SigSauer makes an FMJ load of 180@1250, and it's surprisingly affordable compared to other brands that load to full power. I haven't bought any 10mm since last year, but it seems to range from $17-$35 per box.
Also, .40S&W will cycle the 10mm pistol in some cases. I want more of them, but it's expensive to shoot and the guns are typically more expensive to buy (for what I want, at least). If I were you, I'd get one.

The 10mm is a little better than .45 ACP, but not by much IMO - there is .45 ACP 180 gr loads @ about 1200 fps. The difference is the sectional density - the 10 mm is better.

If SIG ever made an all steel P227 in 10mm that could also shoot .45 ACP/.460 Rowland/et. al. (with a conversion barrel) and had a 14 round mad that worked (it will with the right spring), then I would buy that. And they could so so easily (the P220 has essentially the same slide as the 227), they just don't think it is profitable enough to bother.

The 10mm is a little better than .45 ACP, but not by much IMO - there is .45 ACP 180 gr loads @ about 1200 fps. The difference is the sectional density - the 10 mm is better.

If SIG ever made an all steel P227 in 10mm that could also shoot .45 ACP/.460 Rowland/et. al. (with a conversion barrel) and had a 14 round mad that worked (it will with the right spring), then I would buy that. And they could so so easily (the P220 has essentially the same slide as the 227), they just don't think it is profitable enough to bother.

Unless they made the 10mm barrel excessively thick a conversion to 45 acp would not be realistic. Maybe the could provide a bushing for the 10mm in the slide that removed for the 45. You can convert a glock 21 to 10mm with a thicker conversion barrel but they say the mass of the slide is not really up to full power loads. Cool idea but other that 45acp being a bit cheaper and more available I don't see any advantage.

I would have helped, but you said no Glocks, so you can't be helped.
I disagree.
XDM952510BHCE_LA.jpg

Unless they made the 10mm barrel excessively thick a conversion to 45 acp would not be realistic. Maybe the could provide a bushing for the 10mm in the slide that removed for the 45. You can convert a glock 21 to 10mm with a thicker conversion barrel but they say the mass of the slide is not really up to full power loads. Cool idea but other that 45acp being a bit cheaper and more available I don't see any advantage.

SIG sells conversion slides with barrels. IIRC the slide for the 10mm P220 will fit and run on the slide for the frame for the .45 ACP P220 and vice versa.

I have and run 9mm conversion barrels for .40 S&W slides on a P226 and for a P229, and vice versa (a .40 slide/barrel) on a 9mm SIG. The difference in OD is not that much, and IIRC SIG now makes the same slide for both 9mm & .40 S&W for their striker fired pistols?

GRT45 has done extensive work on this subject...

There are some G21, G21SF police trades coming in now. ($349)

I'm not going to analyze my sarcasm retrospectively, but I'd assume someone who dislikes Glocks likely has a dislike of polymer striker fired pistols in general, hence, the XD wasn't an option.

Glocks receive way too much credit.

If we don't like Glock's, then it's assumed we couldn't like anything else?

If the gun doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. There's many other choices, every bit as good, that fit me better.

Even Glock recognizes their block-grip doesn't fit everybody. Hence their feeble effort with the SF grip frame. But then the Glock cult mentality and kool-aid took over, and even most Glock dealers wont stock the SF models. If ya can't like it the way it comes originally, you don't deserve to own one.:s0140:

Last Edited:
There is no logical reason to own a 10mm over more common cartridges. All handgun cartridges suck when it comes to terminal ballistics.

But, if you want a 10mm, go for it. I like cartridges like the 257 Roberts and 280 Remington. No logical reasons to use those over stuff like the 270.
I agree. I own a few 9mm's not because I love the caliber and ballistics, but because I believe that the ammunition will always be available because of the military. Same thing with my AR.

Glocks receive way too much credit.

If we don't like Glock's, then it's assumed we couldn't like anything else?

If the gun doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. There's many other choices, every bit as good, that fit me better.

Even Glock recognizes their block-grip doesn't fit everybody. Hence their feeble effort with the SF grip frame. But then the Glock cult mentality and kool-aid took over, and even most Glock dealers wont stock the SF models. If ya can't like it the way it comes originally, you don't deserve to own one.:s0140:
So then what you can do, if you like to "work under the hood" is a Polymer 80 build.
1911 grip angle and smaller circumference than a Glock.
Many are built for that reason alone and otherwise dislike the Glock frame hand fitment.

ETA:
Buy your P80 kits before they take them away.
And they will be taking them away.
Everything in the pic below is shipped to your mailbox.

Here's my P80 G19 clone...
(G17 and G20 clones are next)

Polymer 80a-I.png

Last Edited:
I'm not going to analyze my sarcasm retrospectively, but I'd assume someone who dislikes Glocks likely has a dislike of polymer striker fired pistols in general, hence, the XD wasn't an option.
I've handled both the GLOCK and XDM in the large frames and the XDM guns are far more compact and comfortable, which is why I own the XDM 10mm.

Have a Gen 3 G20 SF, works for me and has become my favorite woods gun. For those that shot hardcast, did you upgrade the barrel?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top