JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been using it since 1991. After 28 years of "ebb and flow", the 10mm has settled into its place. Full-house loads tramp at the heels of the .41 Remington Magnum while the lower-end loads hover in the territory of the .40 S&W.

Flexibility is where the cartridge shines.

I have been using it off and on since 1990, and have seen it come and go with both power levels and availability! It's improved quite a bit since those early days, and the number of pistols available have been increasing, so it makes total sense for those who can use it, or see it's benefits!
I find it with out equal in a semi auto that can fit in a standard mag/mag well framed pistol ( Standard) so unless some one comes up with bigger and baddder, the 10 mm is IT! I like it's performance, the recoil comes strait back instead of jumping so I get faster follow up shots if needed, and I can follow through a lot faster and easier! I tend to stay on target through the recoil impulse making accuracy far better, faster!

A pissed off grizzly will kill you before he remembers to die from a 10mm. 44 magnum is the very minimum for bear stopping power. And honestly bear spray is more effective than any handgun.
9mm baby... (S&W 3953)
lls-Charging-Brown-Bear-With-A-9mm-Pistol-385x1024.jpg

;)

Last Edited:
I have two 1911's and a Smith & Wesson Model 610 revolver in 10mm. The last couple of years, I've kinda gravitated to shooting this cartridge more than some others. It lends itself to a fairly wide range of hand loading. I have two .45's, practically never shoot them anymore. Also a 1911 in 9mm Luger and two in .38 Super but I am able to shoot the 10mm's with less than full loads best.

Here ya go.

A true test:

Absolutely amazing!

- P

what really amazes me is when you watch these gel tests for many of the "better" rounds, then watch video of some of these "drug zombies" soak up multiple hits and refuse to go down. When I think of what must be happening to the body of these creatures it is amazing how scary they can be. That they soak up that kind of damage and still stay on their feet.

With 10MM fmj going for under $17 a box it's not horrible to shoot anymore.

I say get one! And if you buy one in a 1911 variety you get to brag about shooting a real caliber and also yell "you kids get off my lawn". Two birds!

I almost bought one. Could not quite consider it. Sure is fun to shoot!!!!

Indeed. Nine .44 Magnum rounds on tap, crisp trigger, and makes those bowling pins or metallic silhouettes fly. What more can a gentleman ask for? (Well, I can think of some, but it would be neither germane to this topic nor appropriate to such a venue. :p)

I used to dip into the koolaid 10mm juice.

Truth be told. I'm no longer a fan.

Main reason.

A good amount of 40sw is about the same as 10mm. Heck some 10mm factory ammo is boarderline 40sw.

Only good 1200-1400 FPS stuff is worth it in 10mm. Anything under can be had by just buying a 40.

There is definitely an internet coolness hipster thing associated with 10mm too. Kind of annoying.

Anyways, if you handload or buy good ammo passed the 40sw velocities, sure.

Otherwise, I'm over it.
And I think everyone practices by loading .40's in their 10's.. prolly chip a tooth when they finally touch off a full house load.

lol

Some good 10mm options that aren't the 1911...

Old School: Smith & Wesson 10x6 series.
4.25" or 5" barrels.
Single stack
I own a 1006, and 1066. I'm trying to collect the set. Just a few more to go. 1006, 1026, 1046, 1066, 1076, 1086

OG: Smith & Wesson 610 Revolver
Moon clips
Shoots 10 or .40cal
Multiple Barrel lengths
6 shots
I have the 4" barrel version

The only other revolver I know about is the Ruger GP100 in 10mm.

Unicorns:
Bren Ten

KRISS Vector, in 10mm
Technically, a pistol/sub-gun
Definitely a niche weapon.

Modern: EAA Witness / Tanfoglio
As mentioned above by @Pandaz3, it's based on the CZ platform
You can get steel or plastic.
Double stack
Based on your desire for all steel, here's their offering: LINK . One of the full size or elite ones from this link will follow me home at some point.

SigSauer:
Sig P220. Several options. For me, the stainless with rosewood grips would be it & eventually I'll get it.
Single stack

1911s
For 1911 models, I know that Colt makes the Delta Elite in 10mm, and Kimber makes one as well.
Springfield, S&W, Sig, Rock Island Armory and Ruger also have offerings in 10mm for their 1911 lines.
Coonan, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk and Wilson Combat as well, if you want higher end. If you are hunting, you may want to look at the Kimber Jagare as it comes with a Leupold Deltapoint Red-Dot. The only double stack 1911s in 10mm that I know of are Rock Island Armory and STI. STI is very expensive, and Rock Island seems to be more affordable.
I'm not a 1911 fan, so I haven't tracked them.

One Word: Plastics
Glock - several options.
Springfield - several options
EAA/Tanfoglio - several options

what really amazes me is when you watch these gel tests for many of the "better" rounds, then watch video of some of these "drug zombies" soak up multiple hits and refuse to go down. When I think of what must be happening to the body of these creatures it is amazing how scary they can be. That they soak up that kind of damage and still stay on their feet.

This is what I am always concerned about. Your statement is spot on.

What you have said is why I am ALWAYS thinking, more rounds in a mag (9mm) or more power (.40 cal). Its a struggle for me. I always try to get the best performing .40 round I can.

Then I think about those poor 2A Californians that can have only 10 rounds tops.

In the end, all I and we can do is our homework to be prepared with the best of the best.

P.S. Sorry OP for driving my response off topic from your post.:confused:

Last Edited:
This is what I am always concerned about. Your statement is spot on.

What you have said is why I am ALWAYS thinking, more rounds in a mag (9mm) or more power (.40 cal). Its a struggle for me. I always try to get the best performing .40 round I can.

I have just started a build with a PF940sc and I am have been torn between doing it as a g26 or g27. Finally settled on a G27 build, as I am proficient with handling .40 S&W cartridge. (I am tired of printing with my larger pistol)

I hate having so little of rounds on me. This will be the first pistol that I have that only has 9+1.

Then I think about those poor 2A Californians that can have only 10 rounds tops.

I live in Yakima, and all sorts of people are on drugs............o_O

In the end, all I and we can do is our homework to be prepared with the best of the best.

- Preston

P.S. Sorry OP for driving my response off topic from your post.:confused:

I have been a 1911 fanboy all my life. Always in .45. Until it became common for video's of shooting to show up I always felt fine with 9 rounds of .45. I used to hear of these shootings where some doper would soak up rounds. I normally thought they were like the old stories about the school, and the snow, getting deeper and further away. Then I started seeing several of them. Even my venerable .45 1911 started to look like not so sure. Took to carrying 10 round mags. Also why my house PCC's use Glock happy sticks. Stuff is amazing to watch. Some LEO putting rounds into one of these guys and they do not stop. Now when I am carrying one of my .380's I feel like I may have to hope I can out run them :eek:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews