JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And my experience will say, everybody is different. I think the 10mm is extremely manageable, and if you're a person that can handle such a cartridge, it is an excellent compromise.

Learn how to shop for ammo and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Compared to a .44 mag, the 10mm is a powder puff.

You're gonna get opposite opinions from opposite folks. Only you will know if the 10mm cartridge is for you.

I would question anybody's opinion that accuracy with a 10mm will suffer against any other cartridge. I have professed my 10mm in a 1911 was the single most accurate center fire semi auto I've ever shot.

I know you're not close, but if you were, I'd extend the opportunity for you to try and compare any pistol and cartridge combination I own.

Of course it's "manageable." Any average adult male can "manage" it. But you're gaining probably no measurable performance advantage by "managing" it. Conversely, I would estimate that over 95% will shoot worse due to one or more factors:
* Greater recoil and report. It's science. Can't argue with it.
* Less pleasurable to shoot. I'm above average size and strength, not particularly recoil sensitive, and shot a lot of guns (including a dozen guns most gun folks have never fired). I've owned one. I didn't care for it. YMMV.
* Higher cost (double that of 9mm) will mean roughly half as much training, all things equal.

So you're really not "gaining" anything with 10mm over 9 or .40.

Contrast that "manageable" with a pussycat 9mm.
* Cheaper
* More capacity
* Negligible recoil. More fun to shoot.
* All that means better accuracy for overwhelming number of people.
* Very similar performance. Nearly equal with +P ammo.
* Available in every modern gunmaker lineup, unlike 10mm.

Hello all. My first conversation thread. (I looked for threads of similarity, did not find one.)

As the title states, convince me to add another calibre that I may not need but should want. I am a 1911 guy and prefer to buy those that are modelled after the 70 series. I am a fan of Dan Wessons for the value and that they are 70 series. However, I own a SIG Sauer Tac in 357 SIG and love it, but it is modelled after the 80 series. I have 1911s in 9mm and am loving it, too. I am moving away from 45 ACPs, I currently have two DWs for sell, then I thought, sell one and convert the other to shoot 10mm. Is this a plausible thing to do; should I sell/ trade for an actual 1911 in 10mm? I am considering the calibre as a do-all for hunting carry as opposed to the 44 mag and 454 Casull due to capacity. 10mm is good on grizzes using the right stuff and shot placement, heck I even considered using the 357 SIG for that role! 10mm is starting to feel like an ear worm or a "10mm angel" on each shoulder singing to me. NO GLOCKS!!!!!!

Talk 10mm to me!
Huh??? Ballistically, 10 mm is comparable to .357 mag. About 700 - 800 ft. lbs. in the hottest loads. Nobody goes hunting grizzlies with .357 mags. There is no special additional magic on the bullet because it came out of a semiauto.

Standard .44 mag loads run up to about 1200 ft lbs. The Underwood .44mag .340 gr +P+ is listed at 1533 ft. lbs. .454 Casull loads start about there and go up, and shoot a fatter bullet. The 10 mm is not in the same league at all.

Some people consider the .44mag too wimpy for self defense against grizzlies let alone hunting them. They go for the .454 Casull, SW .460, or .SW.500. And of course many say all handgun calibers are inadequate against grizzlies, and only a rifle or shotgun will do.

Did you mean carrying the 10 mm as backup to rifle for hunting? That would make more sense. It's still only the equivalent of a .357mag though. However, extra capAcity would be a trade off. I'd feel comfier with 6 rounds of .44 than infinite rounds of 10 mm, but that sort of thing has a huge personal preference factor.

As for needing a 10mm, obviously you do. When you get that excited about a gun or caliber, the amount of joy you can get by indulging is cheap. Go for it.

Huh??? Ballistically, 10 mm is comparable to .357 mag. About 700 - 800 ft. lbs. in the hottest loads. Nobody goes hunting grizzlies with .357 mags. There is no special additional magic on the bullet because it came out of a semiauto.

Standard .44 mag loads run up to about 1200 ft lbs. The Underwood .44mag .340 gr +P+ is listed at 1533 ft. lbs. .454 Casull loads start about there and go up, and shoot a fatter bullet. The 10 mm is not in the same league at all.

Some people consider the .44mag too wimpy for self defense against grizzlies let alone hunting them. They go for the .454 Casull, SW .460, or .SW.500. And of course many say all handgun calibers are inadequate against grizzlies, and only a rifle or shotgun will do.

Did you mean carrying the 10 mm as backup to rifle for hunting? That would make more sense. It's still only the equivalent of a .357mag though. However, extra capAcity would be a trade off. I'd feel comfier with 6 rounds of .44 than infinite rounds of 10 mm, but that sort of thing has a huge personal preference factor.

As for needing a 10mm, obviously you do. When you get that excited about a gun or caliber, the amount of joy you can get by indulging is cheap. Go for it.
Yes! The 10mm in a semi-auto for back-up in the wild is/ was the plan. I own wheel guns in 44 mag and 454 Casull as well as lever actions in both. But, then I read an article about a guy giving a good reason for having a 10mm as a hunting back-up and not the bigger bores. His reason made sense to me - more capacity! 10mm can be loaded hot enough to take down hungry/ angry grizzies and having the ability to reload fast enough and dump a mag is a benefit. This is the main reason why i am considering it. This story was on the basis that the person carried a fullsize Glock. My experience with Glocks involves poor accuracy, so I do not want to buy another.

I am a DW guy - which do you like best of the Bruin or Kodiaks, (I cannot believe you actually have both! :) )? I think I watched a video of someone showing the difficulties of the Bruin's takedown, any truth there? I have been considering the Kodiak but am very dissapointed that it does not have the Clark style ribbing on top of the slide.

I forgot about the DW Wraith as well, the only non 6". The Bruin and Kodiak are very similar in feel and performance, I like them both equally. Have some beautiful cross cut mammoth ivory grips coming in the Kodiak, the Bruin has Elk Antler grips on it right now. Beautiful pistols.

To everyone who offered opinions - thank you!

I think I will invest in a drop-in barrel to convert my 45 acp 1911 to shoot 400 Corbon. Cheaper than buying a new gun! Maybe it can scratch my 10mm itch. o_O :D

Underwoord offers this loading and with the 45 brass i have, I may get into loading this round myself.

Anyone with experience with the 400 Corbon? Sorry if I seem all over the place with this topic regarding 40 calibre bullets.

This thread/site is kinda funny. Everyone poopoos the 40 as being "too snappy" and they gush about the "fast follow-upshots" and "capacity" of a double stack 9mm.

Then a 10mm thread comes along and everyone is praising single stack guns chambered in a cartridge that is the definition of "Snappy".

I've noticed this as well. I think 40SW gets more hate due to it being essentially a watered down 10mm round and the cost isn't much less than buying retail 10mm.

That said, I do love my G20.4 and have found that it can shoot 10mm or 40SW just fine. Some people say it's bad for the pistol due to headspacing off the extractor, but I've never had any issues alternating between the two. If my extractor breaks down the road, it's an easy piece to fix.

Yes! The 10mm in a semi-auto for back-up in the wild is/ was the plan. I own wheel guns in 44 mag and 454 Casull as well as lever actions in both. But, then I read an article about a guy giving a good reason for having a 10mm as a hunting back-up and not the bigger bores. His reason made sense to me - more capacity! 10mm can be loaded hot enough to take down hungry/ angry grizzies and having the ability to reload fast enough and dump a mag is a benefit. This is the main reason why i am considering it. This story was on the basis that the person carried a fullsize Glock. My experience with Glocks involves poor accuracy, so I do not want to buy another.
10 mm as backup for rifle makes a lot of sense.
I couldnt hit well with the one Glock I ever had too. I suspect in my case it was a weight problem. Turns out I cant hit well with any gun that light. Even when I was much younger, my hands trembled a little. It only matters with light guns. I need a gun to be above 30 oz. to absorb the tremor.

To everyone who offered opinions - thank you!

I think I will invest in a drop-in barrel to convert my 45 ACP 1911 to shoot 400 Corbon. Cheaper than buying a new gun! Maybe it can scratch my 10mm itch. o_O :D

Underwood offers this loading and with the 45 brass i have, I may get into loading this round myself.

Anyone with experience with the 400 Corbon? Sorry if I seem all over the place with this topic regarding 40 caliber bullets.

The only reason to buy the 400 CorBon is to use a conversion barrel in a handgun chambered for the .45 ACP. Aside from that, the 10mm Auto wins in every category (power/accuracy/terminal performance).

The 400 CorBon is a "halfway measure" that never will meet the performance provided by the 10mm Auto.

End of story.

Of course it's "manageable." Any average adult male can "manage" it. But you're gaining probably no measurable performance advantage by "managing" it. Conversely, I would estimate that over 95% will shoot worse due to one or more factors:
* Greater recoil and report. It's science. Can't argue with it.
* Less pleasurable to shoot. I'm above average size and strength, not particularly recoil sensitive, and shot a lot of guns (including a dozen guns most gun folks have never fired). I've owned one. I didn't care for it. YMMV.
* Higher cost (double that of 9mm) will mean roughly half as much training, all things equal.

So you're really not "gaining" anything with 10mm over 9 or .40.

Contrast that "manageable" with a pussycat 9mm.
* Cheaper
* More capacity
* Negligible recoil. More fun to shoot.
* All that means better accuracy for overwhelming number of people.
* Very similar performance. Nearly equal with +P ammo.
* Available in every modern gunmaker lineup, unlike 10mm.
You're not counting the pleasure of macho. In theory I could get as much pleasure shooting a .22 as a .44. Or in getting my "aiming/throwing" fix by tossing marbles in a trash can, something I've also done, instead of shooting a gun. But in practice I don't. I'm just not as thrilled about shooting a .22 or a 9 mm as a .44. Maybe it makes my ovaries feel small?

The only reason to buy the 400 CorBon is to use a conversion barrel in a handgun chambered for the .45 ACP. Aside from that, the 10mm Auto wins in every category (power/accuracy/terminal performance).

The 400 CorBon is a "halfway measure" that never will meet the performance provided by the 10mm Auto.

End of story.
Right. As I write this,I am listen to a Youtube video on the 400 Corbon, and the paper ballistics are not very appealing. 220 grain bullets can be loaded for 10mm but why not the 400 Corbon?

Aww, I am so torn on the topic. I have a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45 ACP that I do not want anymore but I'd hate to sell a DW, period. Converting it is one way to keep it, but this 400 does not compare to the 10. :mad:

Underwood 200-grain bullets running at 1200+ fps makes a great deal of sense when your "neighbor" has fur, big teeth, claws, and a nasty disposition (referring, of course, to Black Bear). If I can put five of these in either his ocular region or the "boiler room", I'll have a better chance of stopping him than I would with either a .45 ACP or a 400 CorBon.

I prefer the "enhanced odds" provided by my 10mm Auto(s).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top