JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This thread/site is kinda funny. Everyone poopoos the 40 as being "too snappy" and they gush about the "fast follow-upshots" and "capacity" of a double stack 9mm.

Then a 10mm thread comes along and everyone is praising single stack guns chambered in a cartridge that is the definition of "Snappy".
I have no complaints on the 40 SW, but if I get the 10mm it is because of its compact killing factory in Grizz territory. 357 SIG might do the same job, who knows.

This thread/site is kinda funny. Everyone poopoos the 40 as being "too snappy" and they gush about the "fast follow-upshots" and "capacity" of a double stack 9mm.

Then a 10mm thread comes along and everyone is praising single stack guns chambered in a cartridge that is the definition of "Snappy".

That's because most people find reasons to poopoo on other calibers they don't understand or refuse too.

And then other people pick up on their opinions and spread it like the gospel of handgun calibers. :mad:

I have five 10's and while you (The OP) don't care for the plastic Fantastics, four of mine are plastic. First though for your consideration is my all metal, CZ based, EAA Witness Elite Match. It is a heavy gun. EAA is one of the early adopters of the 10 MM and they have produced tons of 10 MM's (Because each gun weighs a ton that is technically only two, but I am sure the other one is as good as mine) seriously except or because of the weight y EAA is the best of my five. It is a double stack.

My first 10 MM was my G-29, I had been considering carrying it as a EDC and taking it hiking too. I would carry a rifle or 12 Gauge for bear if that was necessary, but Cats or wolves two and four legged varieties seem perfect for a 10.

The Block was too blocky for me as a daily driver, but it shot well and I was/am very accurate with it. I then bought the EAA, and while I do love it …. I might have mentioned it's weight, it is heavy. so I then had some unneeded and unwanted new shotguns (Kept one Hawk 982) and traded the rest in on a G-20. An improvement to me over the G-29, but not enough.

I then bought two Springfield XDM10's, I thought the 4.5" a little snappy (Cured with a 22# recoil spring) and really liked the 5.25". The 5.25 would be my choice for all day carry, a little long for me for concealed carry

I use Underwood 155 grain XTP's for carry as I want the speed, but it is pricy ammo. I don't shoot as much now that I have figured out what I want. I will keep them all. I deserve them.

My daily concealed carry is 40's or 357 Sig. I believe in modern ammunition 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10 MM.

I have no complaints on the 40 SW, but if I get the 10mm it is because of its compact killing factory in Grizz territory. 357 SIG might do the same job, who knows.

A pissed off grizzly will kill you before he remembers to die from a 10mm. 44 magnum is the very minimum for bear stopping power. And honestly bear spray is more effective than any handgun.

A pissed off grizzly will kill you before he remembers to die from a 10mm. 44 magnum is the very minimum for bear stopping power. And honestly bear spray is more effective than any handgun.
True, I would agree. If i must die by grizz, then so must they.

How far does a bear spray reach?

Have you personally or someone you know personally, tested that spray theory

I have five 10's and while you (The OP) don't care for the plastic Fantastics, four of mine are plastic. First though for your consideration is my all metal, CZ based, EAA Witness Elite Match. It is a heavy gun. EAA is one of the early adopters of the 10 MM and they have produced tons of 10 MM's (Because each gun weighs a ton that is technically only two, but I am sure the other one is as good as mine) seriously except or because of the weight y EAA is the best of my five. It is a double stack.

My first 10 MM was my G-29, I had been considering carrying it as a EDC and taking it hiking too. I would carry a rifle or 12 Gauge for bear if that was necessary, but Cats or wolves two and four legged varieties seem perfect for a 10.

The Block was too blocky for me as a daily driver, but it shot well and I was/am very accurate with it. I then bought the EAA, and while I do love it …. I might have mentioned it's weight, it is heavy. so I then had some unneeded and unwanted new shotguns (Kept one Hawk 982) and traded the rest in on a G-20. An improvement to me over the G-29, but not enough.

I then bought two Springfield XDM10's, I thought the 4.5" a little snappy (Cured with a 22# recoil spring) and really liked the 5.25". The 5.25 would be my choice for all day carry, a little long for me for concealed carry

I use Underwood 155 grain XTP's for carry as I want the speed, but it is pricy ammo. I don't shoot as much now that I have figured out what I want. I will keep them all. I deserve them.

My daily concealed carry is 40's or 357 Sig. I believe in modern ammunition 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10 MM.
Well, stated. My daily carry has been 357 SIG, too, up from 9mm and 40SW. I will carry again when I get my WA permit.

As for the plastic Fantastics, well, I suck. I am a terrible Block shooter with G17, so I then must be the same with all Blocks. I will stick with what works for me. Believe me, I WISH i was competent with Blocks but I ain't. I do have a HK USP and may never consider selling if I still have 45s to shoot. This brand I CAN shoot well.

I have my eye on EAAs. XDMs in 5.25 are very appealing!

Have you personally or someone you know personally, tested that spray theory
I don't know if you would have enough time to try both a gun and bear spray in a situation with a bear attack, of course all situations are different.

Here is a news report on one situation involving bear spray that ultimately helped end the attack.

- P

I am convinced.....:rolleyes:

But I have a to-do list:
1. become WA resident
2. sell/ trade some guns
3. buy/ trade for 1911 longslide 10mm
4. shoot it like a pro
5. be awarded "cool guy" cred

It is a good time to want a 10mm. The cartridge was for a long while becoming kind of rare. It has seen a major resurgence which is bringing the price of the ammo way down and making it easy to find. I have a rifle in the round that impresses me a LOT and makes me want a hand gun in this. One problem with sell / trade now is the new laws. They along with the glut in the market have made it a poor time to sell. I have never in my life owned as many guns at any one time as I do now only because selling is such a PITA now.
Now as for the Browns, the 10mm sure beats nothing or using OC but, it's still very weak for this. The smaller bear that are common here the 10mm would be great. If you are hiking around where there are Brown Bear if possible some kind of long gun would be FAR better. 10 is still of course nothing like just going with nothing or spray. The thing I like a lot about the 10 is it's easy to use on the 2 legged critters I worry about a LOT more when I am in the great outback.

Nobody should have to convince you, regardless of any caliber you look at.

If your needing to be convince then you either have doubt about the caliber(which is a personal choice of whether your comfortable with its performance) or you haven't done enough research on the caliber (which asking to be convinced is kind of like you want peoples approval and lazy)

But here is a good picture. Of course the draw back on this picture is it doesn't state the brands of ammunition used in the test.

View attachment 618468

In the above image, someone edited in the plasma torus from an atomic bomb over the 10mm track, which wasn't in the original image at all.

The original was found with a 10 second reverse image search in a reddit subforum which lead me to this 2012 article...

Below is the uneditied image, which I KNEW I had seen somewhere else. (grin)

ballistics-gel640.jpg

I used to dip into the koolaid 10mm juice.

Truth be told. I'm no longer a fan.

Main reason.

A good amount of 40sw is about the same as 10mm. Heck some 10mm factory ammo is boarderline 40sw.

Only good 1200-1400 FPS stuff is worth it in 10mm. Anything under can be had by just buying a 40.

There is definitely an internet coolness hipster thing associated with 10mm too. Kind of annoying.

Anyways, if you handload or buy good ammo passed the 40sw velocities, sure.

Otherwise, I'm over it.

In the above image, someone edited in the plasma torus from an atomic bomb over the 10mm track, which wasn't in the original image at all.

The original was found with a 10 second reverse image search in a reddit subforum which lead me to this 2012 article...

Below is the uneditied image, which I KNEW I had seen somewhere else. (grin)

Haha, you caught that. Good for you.;)

But the 10mm does out perform them all.
- P

No follow shot required. mine is loaded with Winchester Black Talons.

Oh and for those posting bogus fake ballistic charts. Here is the actual 100% real scientifically proven ballistic chart for 10mm.

1569027649319.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads