JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 1196088
I bought this as a joke, as well as because I like weird guns. I tried it with my rimfire and 30 cal rifle suppressor. Both were equally as loud as not having one mounted at all. Really a gimmick unless a Nagant type revolver is used. I understand that when cocking that type of revolver it forces the cylinder up right against the barrel end and seals it off. View attachment 1196089
Maybe even if only a small portion of the pressure is released through the cylinder gap it really matters to the shooter because it is the portion directed back at him. I had a 6" Colt Anaconda .44mag I ruined by having it Magnaported when I sent it to the factory to replace its broken firing pin on warranty. Usually I practiced with hearing protection, but I figure what you can do on the first shot is what matters most for a hunting revolver. So two or three times a day while hiking, when I had a good backstop, I would shoot just once at something. For this I did not use hearing protection. That was no longer possible after the gun was magnaported. Even firing the gun just once made my ears ring for about half an hour. I wouldn't have even wanted to fire it once without hearing protection while hunting. And wearing hearing protection while hunting isn't something I would want to do. I sold the gun. I cared a whole lot more about the noise than any difference in recoil.

Maybe even if only a small portion of the pressure is released through the cylinder gap it really matters to the shooter because it is the portion directed back at him. I had a 6" Colt Anaconda .44mag I ruined by having it Magnaported when I sent it to the factory to replace its broken firing pin on warranty. Usually I practiced with hearing protection, but I figure what you can do on the first shot is what matters most for a hunting revolver. So two or three times a day while hiking, when I had a good backstop, I would shoot just once at something. For this I did not use hearing protection. That was no longer possible after the gun was magnaported. Even firing the gun just once made my ears ring for about half an hour. I wouldn't have even wanted to fire it once without hearing protection while hunting. And wearing hearing protection while hunting isn't something I would want to do. I sold the gun. I cared a whole lot more about the noise than any difference in recoil.
Try a 329PD some time. It is a beast when it comes to recoil.

I am half deaf, mostly from industrial and engine noise, but also from gun fire. I need the hearing muffs with microphones in them to be able to hear anything while shooting anyway.

View attachment 1196088
I bought this as a joke, as well as because I like weird guns. I tried it with my rimfire and 30 cal rifle suppressor. Both were equally as loud as not having one mounted at all. Really a gimmick unless a Nagant type revolver is used. I understand that when cocking that type of revolver it forces the cylinder up right against the barrel end and seals it off. View attachment 1196089
The Nagant revolver not only slides the cylinder forward at full cock, but the ammo is the other part of the equation.

The front of the cylinder is recessed, and the end of the case sticks out slightly. The bullet is seated deep inside the case, well below the case mouth. On full cock, the breach of the barrel enters the recess in the cylinder face, and the brass case mouth enters the barrel, completely sealing it.

Try a 329PD some time. It is a beast when it comes to recoil.
I would agree with that! I shot one years ago, exactly two shots. They were full-charge 240gr loads, nearly broke my hand. I'm not recoil sensitive, shot a lot of 44 Mag back then, but I don't think I'd care to pull the trigger on one of those again unless a bear was coming at me. :)

I would agree with that! I shot one years ago, exactly two shots. They were full-charge 240gr loads, nearly broke my hand. I'm not recoil sensitive, shot a lot of 44 Mag back then, but I don't think I'd care to pull the trigger on one of those again unless a bear was coming at me. :)
The most common number of times someone has shot hot .44 mag loads in a 329PD is ONE.

I shot some Barnes bear loads in mine - 300gr @1200 fps (IIRC, it has been 35+ years since I bought them in Alaska) and my hands stung and were numb for half an hour. I am told it is much worse with the wood grips, but I haven't dared to try them.

Even .44 Special loads are not fun to shoot.

My 325TR in .45 ACP is not particularly pleasant, but doesn't hurt my hand either.

I prefer my TRR8 in .357 over either the 325 or 329, but it is not as good for brown bears. I haven't tried it with heavy loads yet, just the standard 125 gr stuff. I would love a TRR8 in 9mm, but I am not going to convert my TRR8 to 9x19. Maybe if I find another good deal on a TRR8 I will convert it instead.

The most common number of times someone has shot hot .44 mag loads in a 329PD is ONE.

I shot some Barnes bear loads in mine - 300gr @1200 fps (IIRC, it has been 35+ years since I bought them in Alaska) and my hands stung and were numb for half an hour. I am told it is much worse with the wood grips, but I haven't dared to try them.

Even .44 Special loads are not fun to shoot.

My 325TR in .45 ACP is not particularly pleasant, but doesn't hurt my hand either.

I prefer my TRR8 in .357 over either the 325 or 329, but it is not as good for brown bears. I haven't tried it with heavy loads yet, just the standard 125 gr stuff. I would love a TRR8 in 9mm, but I am not going to convert my TRR8 to 9x19. Maybe if I find another good deal on a TRR8 I will convert it instead.
"Why you hitting yourself? Why you hitting yourself?"

Their use by good-guy cowboys and hero settlers of the American West in movies makes them All-American and wholesome as apple pie.
It's only my opinion, buy this is a romantic distinction that would probably be lost to 95% of politicians and 99% of gun control advocates. Once they get their hooks into an idea, they are going to go for the whole enchilada. I know it's going back a while, but when the 68 GCA was being considered, "snub nose revolvers" were a major point of contention. We can't know the future for sure; we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

One other thing. To those who disdain firearms, the concealability of handguns is the main concern, not the operation of the action. This is why government has long made legal distinctions between handguns and long guns.

It's only my opinion, buy this is a romantic distinction that would probably be lost to 95% of politicians and 99% of gun control advocates.
I agree. They are only going to see guns as guns and not make any 'romantic distinctions'.

I am surprised however the gun control advocates have NOT included more 'traditional' types of guns in their efforts as well.

Last Edited:
It's only my opinion, buy this is a romantic distinction that would probably be lost to 95% of politicians and 99% of gun control advocates. Once they get their hooks into an idea, they are going to go for the whole enchilada. I know it's going back a while, but when the 68 GCA was being considered, "snub nose revolvers" were a major point of contention. We can't know the future for sure; we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

One other thing. To those who disdain firearms, the concealability of handguns is the main concern, not the operation of the action. This is why government has long made legal distinctions between handguns and long guns.
It isn't the politicians that will resist this, it will be the populace. A lot more people who are on the fence, have their dad's or grandpa's .38 revolver than have a Glock.

Also, the "whole enchilada" concept is flawed too - gun control advocates usually try for more than they can get, but they understand the idea of small steps towards their goals. They and politicians understand the concept of "the possible", and they have understood the idea of demonizing objects and trying to strike fear in people. It is much easier now to go on and on about semi-autos and "high capacity" mags and "assault weapons" than it is to try to use revolvers as talking points.

But you do you and I will go on with my plans to get revolvers chambered for semi-auto pistol cartridges. If nothing else, I enjoy a nice revolver.

Works great, cheap plated 9mm bulk bullets.
Yep and awhile back I bought a 250 round box of some 125 grain cast 9mm bullets and they measured .357 - and a lot of them got loaded in .38 Special as well!

IMG_2896[1].JPG

My understanding is part of the reason USSR had good snipers in WWII is farmers/ranchers were allowed to have guns, but only single shot rifles. No multishot guns or handguns. So they got very accurate with their single shots.

That's what a completely totalitarian USA would probably look like. Only farmers and ranchers (and LE) would be able to legally own guns at all. And only single shot rifles and shotguns. I'm hoping we can stop the encroachment long before that.

Concealable handgun vs long gun probably is the big distinction, come to think of it. In NY and MA when I was there owning a handgun was a very big deal. But owning and hunting with long guns was still considered legit.

Ask @tac if they exempted revolvers when they came for the handguns in the UK.
I'm thinking the UK had a lot of advantages which made the banning of revolvers, or the modifications to those that could still be owned a simpler, and considerably more 'streamlined' process than what it would take to do anything even close to the same in the US.

I agree; different country, different culture, different circumstances.

Our long history here, with handguns being common household items, makes an outright ban much more difficult to achieve.

Support for gun control hasn't been lower in decades. The number of new gun buyers among moderates and liberals is way up.

Banning guns is almost as unpopular as banning abortion.

I agree; different country, different culture, different circumstances.

Our long history here, with handguns being common household items, makes an outright ban much more difficult to achieve.
While I agree wholeheartedly, don't underestimate the capabilities of an out of control, woke and tyrannical government.

Just look what's happening with the intention of the SCOTUS pushing abortion back to the states…. That'll give you a small clue of what the organized crime in DC is capable of.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top