JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of my prepping goals is to have "backups" to my semis in my defensive caliber (9x19, .40, .45, etc.), in more politically correct actions (revolvers, lever/bolt actions). The idea is that if my semis get lost in a tragic boating accident or for whatever reason I want to carry a firearm that gets less attention than a SIG 226 with a 20 rd mag, or an AR rifle, then I can do that.

I now have .45 ACP and rifle calibers covered, but I want something for 9mm & .40.

S&W doesn't make, AFAIK, a lightweight compact(ish) revolver in 9mm or .40 S&W.

While checking out moonclips, I noticed that TK Custom will machine some .357 revolvers to accept 9x19 (and maybe .380) with moonclips.

I would not do this to either of my existing .357 mags - I don't want to do it to my TRR8, and the other revolver is not eligible as it has a titanium cylinder.

So I was thinking a Ruger LCRx would be a candidate. Yes I know Ruger makes a 9mm LCRx revolver, but it is a snubby and I want that longer barrel.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know, this would affect the reloading life of .357 brass shot in the revolver - not really concerned about that much as I would mostly shoot 9mm in it, and just would shoot .38/.357 in emergencies.

One of my prepping goals is to have "backups" to my semis in my defensive caliber (9x19, .40, .45, etc.), in more politically correct actions (revolvers, lever/bolt actions). The idea is that if my semis get lost in a tragic boating accident or for whatever reason I want to carry a firearm that gets less attention than a SIG 226 with a 20 rd mag, or an AR rifle, then I can do that.

I now have .45 ACP and rifle calibers covered, but I want something for 9mm & .40.

S&W doesn't make, AFAIK, a lightweight compact(ish) revolver in 9mm or .40 S&W.

While checking out moonclips, I noticed that TK Custom will machine some .357 revolvers to accept 9x19 (and maybe .380) with moonclips.

I would not do this to either of my existing .357 mags - I don't want to do it to my TRR8, and the other revolver is not eligible as it has a titanium cylinder.

So I was thinking a Ruger LCRx would be a candidate. Yes I know Ruger makes a 9mm LCRx revolver, but it is a snubby and I want that longer barrel.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know, this would affect the reloading life of .357 brass shot in the revolver - not really concerned about that much as I would mostly shoot 9mm in it, and just would shoot .38/.357 in emergencies.

Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm Luger 4.2in Stainless Revolver - 5 Rounds

Out of stock currently, but listed at $469.99 at Sportsman's.

Note that if you convert then you are fully depending on the moon clips to hold the round. A proper 9mm cylinder should have a shelf to index on.

@The Heretic I like the way you think.

@arakboss posted a link to the Taurus 692.

I've got one and like it. (That's saying a lot since I am a far cry from a revolver guy.)

7 shots.

357/38 cylinder. Separate 9mm cylinder (uses moon clips). Swapping cylinders takes about 5 seconds.

Well made. It's a tank. Great trigger. Nice, adjustable target sights.

You can find them now. I saw one at Keith's Sporting goods about 2 weeks ago. Reasonable price.

Pair that up with a 357/38 lever action (an inexpensive Rossi or a nice Henry) and you get the combination you're looking for.

To each their own.

Cheers.

Stuff you likely know, adding it here in case others don't know...

9mm in 357/38 revolvers means that the fit is not as tight and accuracy is likely not to be quite as good. Not a big deal for your use case.

9mm in a revolver means that you have to pay close attention to crimp. For a six shooter you want to shoot 5 and then measure the length of the last round. If it is getting close to interfering with rotation then you need to work on the crimp. This is an issue with some factory rounds, not all. If reloading then it is all up to you.

I don't think it is a venture worth worrying about. That or I need the OP to clarify the problem better.

I'd think an inexpensive purchase of a revolver in 9mm might be a simpler solution to the problem. If there really is a problem.

Is it that you @The Heretic think semis will be banned? I can see mag limits, but I really don't think semis will be banned any time soon. So if you are looking to carry something less scary, why not get a less scary semi that is within whatever mag limits that may exist?

I'd think an inexpensive purchase of a revolver in 9mm might be a simpler solution to the problem. If there really is a problem.
I have to agree with this - OR why not just shoot the ammo the revolver was designed for IE - .38/.357?

I can understand a factory convertible like the Blackhawk but to spend money to convert a S & W to shoot 9mm doesn't seem real practical.

OR - try to find a S & W 547.

Last Edited:
Is it that you @The Heretic think semis will be banned? I can see mag limits, but I really don't think semis will be banned any time soon. So if you are looking to carry something less scary, why not get a less scary semi that is within whatever mag limits that may exist?
I do think that yes, semis could, at some time in the future, be banned, and revolvers still be allowed.

California has taken a step towards that with requiring registration of semis, and only allowing certain semis on a list to be purchased, while at the same time slowly reducing the number of semis on that same list.

That is the modus operandi of gun control - slowly but surely work towards banning guns thru small steps. One of those steps will eventually be outright bans on semis.

I always thought it ironic how some anti gunners were ok with grandpas old 38snubby or whatever, as if revolvers were never used in terrible crimes of violence back in their day.
I suppose anythings possible but I really doubt all semis will ever be banned, too many 1911s still being mass produced and thats an American classic even in many liberal homes. Even those can be considered less innocuous to many anti gunners.

If I were ever forced to buy a revolver Im gonna buy a cowboy gun and open carry like the wild west, give them what they want so to speak. :p

1651947544160.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads