JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do think that yes, semis could, at some time in the future, be banned, and revolvers still be allowed.

California has taken a step towards that with requiring registration of semis, and only allowing certain semis on a list to be purchased, while at the same time slowly reducing the number of semis on that same list.

That is the modus operandi of gun control - slowly but surely work towards banning guns thru small steps. One of those steps will eventually be outright bans on semis.
If, which I think it if a stretch, semi autos are banned, I'd think more options will become available in popular calibers.

IE, right now semi autos are king, revolvers take the backseat. If banned, revolvers will likely have a huge come back.

So in the off chance you are right, why not just see what that time has to offer for 9mms and worry about it then?

And besides IF (in the unlikely possibility) SAs were to be banned I am sure that would most likely only affect the manufacture of any new and we would probably all still be able to keep the ones we have (hypothetically)

If, which I think it if a stretch, semi autos are banned, I'd think more options will become available in popular calibers.

IE, right now semi autos are king, revolvers take the backseat. If banned, revolvers will likely have a huge come back.

So in the off chance you are right, why not just see what that time has to offer for 9mms and worry about it then?
Because stuff happens.

Twenty years ago (IIRC, maybe longer - my how time flies), I felt that if I ever got to move back to Orygun, that the gun laws here would be better than WA state and stay that way longer than WA state. Now look what has happened.

Or it could just be that I decided I have enough semis (in SIGs alone, I have 8 semi pistols) and I need an excuse to get more handguns? I have a 460V (probably going have the cylinder cut for .45 ACP moon clips, even though I got the 325TR yesterday - so I can shoot .45 ACP, .45LC, .454 & .460 mag), the 325 TR, the 329 PD, the 327 TRR8, a .22 RF, so I got the common calibers covered, except for 9mm & .40 S&W, which I want.

And I strongly prefer 3-5" barrels on any handgun, and I prefer lighter weight guns too. I would buy a Ruger LCRx in 9mm if they offered it with a 3"+ barrel.

Ok, I am weird - deal with it. :D

I agree with @Reno if hypothetically all semis were banned then revolvers would take center stage then all the calibers that made revolvers famous would once again rule and new revolver calibers would be invented (rimmed...). Also worth noting, revolvers have one advantage over semis that took years for people to get over, power.
The .357 would become king again, especially since it can fire lower power 38special ammo. If revolvers were the only option, few people would want revolvers chambered or modified in semi auto cartridges.

And I also agree its just not gonna happen. If anything there will be a total prohibition on all guns before there will be a ban on specific guns.

Also worth noting, revolvers have one advantage over semis that took years for people to get over, power.
At both ends of the spectrum. As long as the projectile leaves the barrel, you can fire much lighter loads in a revolver than in a semi. IMO, this is the true advantage of manual action firearms, whatever type they may be.

I agree with @Reno if hypothetically all semis were banned then revolvers would take center stage then all the calibers that made revolvers famous would once again rule and new revolver calibers would be invented (rimmed...). Also worth noting, revolvers have one advantage over semis that took years for people to get over, power.
The .357 would become king again, especially since it can fire lower power 38special ammo. If revolvers were the only option, few people would want revolvers chambered or modified in semi auto cartridges.

And I also agree its just not gonna happen. If anything there will be a total prohibition on all guns before there will be a ban on specific guns.
I would hate to see ARs and similar semi auto rifles banned. However the thought of new and unique pump or lever action type guns coming to market is exciting.

If anything there will be a total prohibition on all guns before there will be a ban on specific guns.

These and some other states will eventually ban most, if not all semis.

Federal will eventually follow suit.

The SCOTUS has not done their duty with regards to the 2nd Amendment.

My father was right when he said he would not buy a new gun from an FFL, and he didn't until late in his life when it didn't matter much anymore (and it was a revolver). Back then, when I was young, I didn't believe that the government would eventually have all of the gun control laws that we have now. I was wrong.

These and some other states will eventually ban most, if not all semis.

Federal will eventually follow suit.

The SCOTUS has not done their duty with regards to the 2nd Amendment.

My father was right when he said he would not buy a new gun from an FFL, and he didn't until late in his life when it didn't matter much anymore (and it was a revolver). Back then, when I was young, I didn't believe that the government would eventually have all of the gun control laws that we have now. I was wrong.
I stand corrected. I didnt get to edit my comment fast enough but yeah some states have banned certain semi autos, mostly AR style rifles. I think there are none that have banned all semi auto handguns though?

Although I would not personally convert a revolver to a (semi-auto) pistol chambering, other than adding a cylinder to a single action revolver, I do absolutely see the multiple benefits of having revolvers chambered for pistol cartridges.

I own/have owned many revolvers in 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP. In every case, the performance has been exemplary. The wives tale of a 9mm bullet rattling down the barrel of a .38/.357 revolver? My revolvers never that memo, and are all every bit as accurate as the same revolver using the .357 cylinder.

I bought a .38 K frame cylinder that had been machined for 9mm and moonclips. Will shoot both now. I installed in my M10 and adjusted the cylinder timing to match my gun.

BTW, if you buy Alfa 9mm moon clips are from Ranch Products they are the same spacing as S&W K frames , but much cheaper than TK's. You do have to grind off some of the out diameter if you are using them in a cylinder that retains the outer .38 rim stop for headspace. Takes a few minutes per clip.

Has anyone currently participating in this thread tried ultra lightweight 9mm factory ammo in a revolver? Specifically asking about whether or not the bullet tried to "walk" out of cartridge case.

My thoughts are that the extra crimp might be unnecessary if you choose a factory load that doesn't need help.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top