JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The .45 colt can be a heavy gun true, but it is very versatile. I have a ruger blackhawk in .45 colt/.45 acp convertible and i can load .45 ACP hollowpoints, .45 colt cowboy loads, .45 colt shotshells, .45 colt hollowpoints and even those hig powered corbon loads. Some loads are easily comparible to .44 mag, but i can use the .45 ACP if i worry about overpenetration. A 4 5/8th in barrel would give you similar velocities as a 5" 1911, just be a wee bit thicker in the middle.

What about a 3" SP101 , with the snub as New York reload? Add a 5-shot speed loader (with 38 spl for either gun); it's the easiest kind to operate. I'm no expert, but 158 gr factory .357 mag has always felt very controllable to me.

Sticking with your preference for a carry revolver - defensive since you mention defensive rounds - and legitimate concern re overpenetration ..... I really think you're pretty much where you need to be. Developments in ammunition have come farther than guns themselves. You can always go bigger with the drawback of weight and bulk but a good defensive .38 Special round should be fine.

But you first have to hit the person!
Back to control and shot placement - as always. I would fear the owner of a of a .38 Spcl. wheelgun who can consistently put all six in 6" at 25 yards under any circumstances as opposed to any hi cap lead thrower of any caliber. However I do carry a Plain Jane 1911 A1 that I can do this with IE. keep em' in 6" consistently.

Back to control and shot placement - as always. I would fear the owner of a of a .38 Spcl. wheelgun who can consistently put all six in 6" at 25 yards under any circumstances as opposed to any hi cap lead thrower of any caliber. However I do carry a Plain Jane 1911 A1 that I can do this with IE. keep em' in 6" consistently.

That reminds me that I need to get to the range more often.

I should have mentioned that the Federal and many local Law Enforcement organizations carry .40 with over penetration in mind.... They are mindful of it and seem to thing the .40 is a good compromise. That's why they don't carry 10's for the most part.

The 10mm lost favor because of the size of the grips and the kick,not over penetration.

And the 40 = 10mm which isn't 25% bigger than the 38,357,380,and the 9mm (which are all very close to the same caliber)

Guys,the way most government purchases are made ,or why some standard is changed isn't because one is better than another.It's because some salesman brought a engineer with him to tell the agency why their product is better.

I would guess that with proper training,the 9mm is more than adequate for police work and self defense.
Maybe it was just easier to give the officers a bigger caliber than it was to try to actually train them correctly?

Yes you are right when you use 9MM and 10MM it is only 23% bigger, but that is still significantly bigger.

And the .40 was developed after The FBI came out on the wrong side of the Stick back in the 80's in Florida

11.111.....% bigger actually
And the 10 was developed after that indecent.
The 40 was developed from the 10 after the 10 was determined too big for some agents.

I mean let's get it straight if we are going to put out some facts.:s0092:

:s0084::s0071:
(Waiting for the counter)

Me thinks you'd like to check out the <broken link removed> .
<broken link removed>

I personally carry a S&W360MP with BB 38SPC short bbl 158gr loads and stayed there. But if I were ever to carry a big bore revolver, this is what I'd pick.:cool:

EDIT: ... and I'd load it with Buffalo Bore anti-personnel 44SPC (caveat: may over-penetrate)

163420_01_md.jpg

Okay I'll do the Math for you, to find the area of a circle you need to get the radius which is from the center to one edge. On a 9MM that is actually one half of .357 or .1785 then you square that .1785 X .1785 = .03186225 and then you multiply that time Pi or 3.14 and it comes to .100047465 so there is a area figure for 9MM. Then we do the same for the .40 so half of that is .20 and squared that comes to .04 time Pi = .1256. Divide .1256 by .100047465 and you get 1.255404122433287.
So the .40 will make hole 25.540% bigger actually than any of the .357 diameter bullets out there.

I mean let's get it straight if we are going to put out some facts.

Of course that is Old math I don't know how new math works

Me thinks you'd like to check out the <broken link removed> .
<broken link removed>

I have noticed the Night Guard and like the look. Have not yet handled one but I regularly carry the S&W 327 TRR8 for work and really like it. The black scandium guns do develop holster wear but I can live with that in trade for weight.

163420_01_md.jpg

I've done a little ballistics comparing using Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place What I compared are the muzzle energy for .38 spl +p, .44 spl, and .44 mag getting as close as possible to the same bullet. All numbers are for Cor-Bon JHP, heaviest listed for .38 and lightest for .44

.38 Special +P JHP 125 gr 251 ft/lbs
.44 Special JHP 165 404
.44 Magnum JHP 180 1122

Even the lightest .44 spl load is a big step up in power.
Anyone selling their 329 Night Guard? :)

Okay I'll do the Math for you, to find the area of a circle you need to get the radius which is from the center to one edge. On a 9MM that is actually one half of .357 or .1785 then you square that .1785 X .1785 = .03186225 and then you multiply that time Pi or 3.14 and it comes to .100047465 so there is a area figure for 9MM. Then we do the same for the .40 so half of that is .20 and squared that comes to .04 time Pi = .1256. Divide .1256 by .100047465 and you get 1.255404122433287.
So the .40 will make hole 25.540% bigger actually than any of the .357 diameter bullets out there.

I mean let's get it straight if we are going to put out some facts.

Of course that is Old math I don't know how new math works

Old math? NO.
Obama math? Yes.
With math skills like that you must work for the government.....and I hope you never have anything to do with lowering my taxes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top