JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Glock 19 MOS covers all the bases you have listed above except for the ridiculous expectation to ankle carry suck a firearm

ARPC is 40 minutes or so south of Salem, you need to be a member.
From my research so does a Hellcat. I'm not sure why my expectation to ankle carry is "ridiculous".

Isn't the Glock 19 closer to full size? I assume that as 1911's are a larger firearm? I said I have a Ruger 9E, I'm not trying to conceal it.

In my initial post I am interested in opinions about compact, sub, mini.

Would the Hellcat in your estimation do better in that area, or something smaller? I'm new to this, trying to learn.

The two most "why?" Glocks made. The 34 makes the 17 pointless and the 43/48 make the 26 pointless. Neither is better at anything than a different model but it's certainly worse. And I get the mag compatibility thing. Way down the list of likely uses.

Get a 19, or a 23/32 if you must, then buy the 9mm slide and mags later but to it tomorrow, first thing
The primary reason for a G26 is a BUG to ones primary, be it a G19, G17, G34 or G45. I've got one to go with my 19s. That said my main BUG is an S&W 442 with a G19 as a primarily and if I carry two Glocks the second is more likely to be another G19.

Hi all.

I am looking to buy my first handgun for concealed carry, I am thinking:
Polymer frame (non revolver)
Double stack (extended mag if option exists for model I choose)
Optics ready
Rail under for flashlight
Reliability (I have a Ruger 9E but was reading that the Ruger Max 9 3505 has had some issues)
Trying to decide on compact vs sub vs mini, I'm leaning towards compact (any counter recommendations?).

Does anyone have any overall recommendations?
Please explain way.

I plan to conceal carry on my ankle/calf via the Bug bite system due to sitting most of the day for work.

Does anyone have any range recommendations for various dynamic situations? I am in Salem and we have TriTac, but I don't think you can practice drawing from the knee there (I could be completely wrong).

This is the rig I'd be using, if this helps to clarify my intent or create better suggestions on an appropriate platform.

I agree, do you have any you can personally recommend?
I live in WA so they would not help you. A LOT of the people here live down in OR so I am sure some will mention places. Its FAR cheaper to pay for some rentals before you start buying. Used to be you could fondle some, buy, play with them. If you decided you wanted something else just sell one to buy another. Sadly those days are gone now so if you buy the "wrong gun" its a hassle to get most of the money back or you take real hit to unload it. Not to mention the rentals are just plain fun. :D

I think the Hellcat or the P365 would be good options to start with but most arent fans of ankle carry. Even if I was a fan I dont like the way the BUGBite doesnt have a retention system and it looks like it would be wobbly if you had to run. A lot of people have this proverbial box of holsters they used once, often enough of them to have bought another gun.
I would look into a quality AIWB holster for a micro like the Hellcat.

I live in WA so they would not help you. A LOT of the people here live down in OR so I am sure some will mention places. Its FAR cheaper to pay for some rentals before you start buying. Used to be you could fondle some, buy, play with them. If you decided you wanted something else just sell one to buy another. Sadly those days are gone now so if you buy the "wrong gun" its a hassle to get most of the money back or you take real hit to unload it. Not to mention the rentals are just plain fun. :D
Yeah the place here has a few to try, $10 a pop, seems reasonable, ESPECIALLY to get the perfect one for me and avoid buyer's remorse. I'll be keeping an eye out for recommendations, thx for your help!

From my research so does a Hellcat. I'm not sure why my expectation to ankle carry is "ridiculous".
There is no way you're going ankle carry a double stack semi-auto pistol with an optic and light unless you're Daniel Faalele and bring back '70s big bell jeans.

Isn't the Glock 19 closer to full size? I assume that as 1911's are a larger firearm? I said I have a Ruger 9E, I'm not trying to conceal it.

In my initial post I am interested in opinions about compact, sub, mini.
Closer to full size than what? The 19 is Glock's "compact" model.

Would the Hellcat in your estimation do better in that area, or something smaller? I'm new to this, trying to learn.
I would consider the Hellcat a sub-compact pistol but still too large for realistic ankle carry, which IMO is a niche method in the first place. You are so much better off keeping a handgun on the belt but off the small of the back. AIWB if actual concealment is a major priority in an office environment.

I think the Hellcat or the P365 would be good options to start with but most arent fans of ankle carry. Even if I was a fan I dont like the way the BUGBite doesnt have a retention system and it looks like it would be wobbly if you had to run. A lot of people have this proverbial box of holsters they used once, often enough of them to have bought another gun.
I would look into a quality AIWB holster for a micro like the Hellcat.
Several reviews on YouTube said they kept the gun snug, but who knows if they were paid, or for how long it would, would the fabric degrade and get lose over time and make the gun floppy? If it lasted for a decent amount of time, I wouldn't mind ordering a replacement, it's less than a tank of gas if it ends up working well, I guess time will tell, thx for the gun recommendations, those are both on my try list before I buy!

Several reviews on YouTube said they kept the gun snug, but who knows if they were paid, or for how long it would, would the fabric degrade and get lose over time and make the gun floppy? If it lasted for a decent amount of time, I wouldn't mind ordering a replacement, it's less than a tank of gas if it ends up working well, I guess time will tell, thx for the gun recommendations, those are both on my try list before I buy!
Don't believe everything you see on Boobtube. They are trying to sell you something.

There is no way you're going ankle carry a double stack semi-auto pistol with an optic and light unless you're Daniel Faalele and bring back '70s big bell jeans.

Closer to full size than what? The 19 is Glock's "compact" model.

I would consider the Hellcat a sub-compact pistol but still too large for realistic ankle carry, which IMO is a niche method in the first place. You are so much better off keeping a handgun on the belt but off the small of the back. AIWB if actual concealment is a major priority in an office environment.
I guess the 19 maybe just looks "full size" compared to the 43/48 or maybe I just don't remember, it's been a minute.

For reference, I had been looking at the Ruger Max 3505, that is optics ready and has a small laser/flashlight combo that doesn't look like it adds much to the profile, and I think that is double stack.

Again, I've never handled any of these IRL, the holster or the guns other than my Ruger 9E, maybe I'd have to forgo the optics at least, for ankle. You're saying this would likely become too unwieldy without retention, for ankle correct?

Yeah the place here has a few to try, $10 a pop, seems reasonable, ESPECIALLY to get the perfect one for me and avoid buyer's remorse. I'll be keeping an eye out for recommendations, thx for your help!
Believe me that 10 spot is NOTHING compared to buying something then deciding you want something else. Unless you don't mind selling the one for around 50% of what you paid its a LOT of hassle and hoops to sell. All in the name of keeping us all safe of course. :mad:

Never wanted to ankle carry at all, but I feel like if I did it would be a super tiny gun as a backup only lol. There is no way I could sprint confidently with my fully loaded p365 on my ankle, even if I removed the optic and light, let alone find pants big enough to hide it without printing. Seems like a terrible spot to carry compared to appendix on every level. Chances are if you need it you will need it in a hurry, and won't want to be completely bending over and lifting you pant leg up, then unstrapping that thing.

I'd just get a p365, hellcat, glock 43 or something similar and get to training

The G48 is the same size as the G19 but thinner and does not have a full length dust cover or light rail.
I think I used to be looking at the 43XMOS 10+1 cap then a Shield mag to increase capacity to 12 or 15, can't remember.

The R Max 3505 looked smaller than that from videos, but it seems unreliable from some reviews, cheap pins that lock the slide to the back with rounds in mag, rust, etc. Not trying to buy a concealed nightmare.

I think I used to be looking at the 43XMOS 10+1 cap then a Shield mag to increase capacity to 12 or 15, can't remember.

The R Max 3505 looked smaller than that from videos, but it seems unreliable from some reviews, cheap pins that lock the slide to the back with rounds in mag, rust, etc. Not trying to buy a concealed nightmare.
The G43X uses the same grip as the G48 with G43, the G43 is a basically a single stack G26.

I'm not a Ruger pistol fan so don't follow them or know anything about the Max-9

Never wanted to ankle carry at all, but I feel like if I did it would be a super tiny gun as a backup only lol. There is no way I could sprint confidently with my fully loaded p365 on my ankle, even if I removed the optic and light, let alone find pants big enough to hide it without printing. Seems like a terrible spot to carry compared to appendix on every level. Chances are if you need it you will need it in a hurry, and won't want to be completely bending over and lifting you pant leg up, then unstrapping that thing.

I'd just get a p365, hellcat, glock 43 or something similar and get to training
Good thoughts, thanks!

I don't plan to be sprinting with it.
I would only be carrying there at work, I work in an environment where I do not need to run, am seated 90%, but do need full range of my arms and waste to lift them over my head, thus the need for ankle.

I don't plan to sprint into any fire fights either. One of the gun or optics manufacturers, starts with a T, has a video from a SEAL demonstrating methods for ankle deployment/engagement, and those seem to fit into my style of concealed engagement. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be wild west drawing with someone one on one, those would be pretty bad odds anyway and I carry a Benchmade for that sorry situation already.

I already have underarm and appendix holsters.
My partner has Taurus G2C I think, and it doesn't seem to like to hide well in appendix and it seems like it'll feel like hell when I'm sitting all day. Maybe I'll just need to get used to stripping whatever I get down for ankle days or something.

Something is better than nothing though, even if I can't quick draw. I don't like only carrying a knife and mace compared to whatever an assailant could be choosing to.

Something to keep in mind when shopping for a CCW gun is can you actually find a holster for the configuration you are seeking and as general rule of thumb holsters designed to " fit any gun" is going to be a total POS.

The G43X uses the same grip as the G48 with G43, the G43 is a basically a single stack G26.

I'm not a Ruger pistol fan so don't follow them or know anything about the Max-9
Yeah that sounds familiar, the Shield mag turned it into a double in the same frame and gave it almost 20 with their mag extension I think.

Maybe the 43X was the MOS option, and that's why I was looking into it, had an under barrel rail too.

Something to keep in mind when shopping for a CCW gun is can you actually find a holster for the configuration you are seeking and as general rule of thumb holsters designed to " fit any gun" is going to be a total POS.
Would a workaround be getting the specific hostler for the final platform, then attaching it to the inside of the "universal" holster? I believe that was the concept behind Unity Tactical's Clutch appendix holster and it seemed to get universally positive reviews.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top