JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all.

I am looking to buy my first handgun for concealed carry, I am thinking:
Polymer frame (non revolver)
Double stack (extended mag if option exists for model I choose)
Optics ready
Rail under for flashlight
Reliability (I have a Ruger 9E but was reading that the Ruger Max 9 3505 has had some issues)
Trying to decide on compact vs sub vs mini, I'm leaning towards compact (any counter recommendations?).

Does anyone have any overall recommendations?
Please explain way.

I plan to conceal carry on my ankle/calf via the Bug bite system due to sitting most of the day for work.

Does anyone have any range recommendations for various dynamic situations? I am in Salem and we have TriTac, but I don't think you can practice drawing from the knee there (I could be completely wrong).

That's a long list......IMHO, you'll probably have to compromise a bit.

Then......
You forgot about the.....
Total weight and caliber specs.

Aloah, Mark

I've tried to ankle carry.. if you implement off the body carry and maintain situational awareness of your environment paired with awareness of your bag you are fine.
A 15 round pistol tucked on an ankle is uncomfortable as hell. I'm sure some guys will disagree but when I tried it, attempting to be creative for work carry, I disliked it.

As for a suggestion, perhaps a P365 9mm
Much slimmer than a G19.

Go rent what you're thinking about BEFORE you buy it. And especially if you're thinking about smaller guns like Shield size and/or smaller. Many of them can be downright unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm.

Also make sure you can find a holster for your intended gun/light combination BEFORE you buy the light. Once you get past Surefire and a couple Streetlights, holsters start getting pretty scarce, pretty quickly.

Go rent what you're thinking about BEFORE you buy it. And especially if you're thinking about smaller guns like Shield size and/or smaller. Many of them can be downright unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm.

Also make sure you can find a holster for your intended gun/light combination BEFORE you buy the light. Once you get past Surefire and a couple Streetlights, holsters start getting pretty scarce, pretty quick
Thanks for the recommendation, where does one rent guns here? I know TriTac has a few, but not many, do you know if any other locations?

I've tried to ankle carry.. if you implement off the body carry and maintain situational awareness of your environment paired with awareness of your bag you are fine.
A 15 round pistol tucked on an ankle is uncomfortable as hell. I'm sure some guys will disagree but when I tried it, attempting to be creative for work carry, I disliked it.

As for a suggestion, perhaps a P365 9mm
Much slimmer than a G19.
Good thoughts, I think I'm more interested in the carrying and functionality than my comfort, I can get used to what I need to if the gain is higher than the cost, but again, that's me saying it before doing it. I may change my tune.

Good luck on 'ankle carry', especially with extended mag & light. The mechanics of just lugging a wad around hanging on the end of your ankle can be quite awkward. Add the dimension of 'hidden' and the need for accessibility as well as reliably located instead of detaching somewhere down toward the break room, is a bag of contradictory specs.

I never could find ankle gear that worked well for me regardless of which package was
the intended carry. Good luck with your search.

Trying to decide on compact vs sub vs mini, I'm leaning towards compact (any counter recommendations?).
If you want to start with one gun that does it all start with a pocket carry sized gun. Worry about upgrading to larger guns later otherwise you spend a lot of money on something thats limited in application. Look at the P938 or similar size guns.

Shoot more, a LOT more. Then rent some guns. If you limp wristed a full sized gun and caused a jam, a small carry gun will be a nightmare.

Most, but all, but most small carry guns are unpleasant to shoot and are very difficult to shoot accurately.

For example, I've shot and carried the SW 38spc airweight. I'd take shooting the 44 mag over shooting +P out of that gun.

I ankle carried a G26 before moving to Hawaii, and it's on the heavy side for ankle carry. Now, I carry a steel officer 1911 with a 4" barrel or a Beretta 92 compact.

I'm 5'8", 160# and I can easily conceal a government 1911 IWB or a G17 OWB in a t-shirt and shorts.

Practice, then practice some more. Get a good gun, belt and holster and carry away.

I have tried a few ankle carry holsters, felt weird but was able to get used to it. The issue with that type of carry is I really don't like super baggy pants, and without bell bottoms or what felt like clown pants, I'd never be able to draw, even if my life depended on it.

Good thoughts, I think I'm more interested in the carrying and functionality than my comfort, I can get used to what I need to if the gain is higher than the cost, but again, that's me saying it before doing it. I may change my tune.
The odds of actually needing a gun is a fraction of the value of comfort. If its not comfortable then you wont want to carry it.
The lighter and smaller the gun the easier and more comfortable it is to carry in more situations. The downside is their functionality if you needed it.... everything is a trade off here. Start small if you want something that goes with you anywhere, and work your way up in size later.

Shoot more, a LOT more. Then rent some guns. If you limp wristed a full sized gun and caused a jam, a small carry gun will be a nightmare.

Most, but all, but most small carry guns are unpleasant to shoot and are very difficult to shoot accurately.

For example, I've shot and carried the SW 38spc airweight. I'd take shooting the 44 mag over shooting +P out of that gun.

I ankle carried a G26 before moving to Hawaii, and it's on the heavy side for ankle carry. Now, I carry a steel officer 1911 with a 4" barrel or a Beretta 92 compact.

I'm 5'8", 160# and I can easily conceal a government 1911 IWB or a G17 OWB in a t-shirt and shorts.

Practice, then practice some more. Get a good gun, belt and holster and carry away.
My fault, I wasn't specific. I was able to fire the Glock 48 or 43 fine, whichever one has the MOS option but tried one a little smaller and jammed it. I need to practice more with the smaller platforms 100% anyway.

Thx for your input!

I have tried a few ankle carry holsters, felt weird but was able to get used to it. The issue with that type of carry is I really don't like super baggy pants, and without bell bottoms or what felt like clown pants, I'd never be able to draw, even if my life depended on it.
There's a couple of YouTube videos that show a good ankle draw and I'd want to practice that a ton, but that's another issue, I don't of a range where I could do that.

There's a couple of YouTube videos that show a good ankle draw and I'd want to practice that a ton, but that's another issue, I don't of a range where I could do that.
I would recommend a whole bunch of unloaded draw practice before going to a range with live ammunition. It really is a pretty awkward thing to do. I gave it a good shot but it was not for me. I wear my jeans pretty 80's style normal fit, def no skinny jeans!

Does anyone have any range recommendations for various dynamic situations? I am in Salem and we have TriTac, but I don't think you can practice drawing from the knee there (I could be completely wrong).
I'll just address the holster practice part. Recommend focusing on this at home with a triple checked empty firearm. There are ranges that will allow it (i.e., unique holster draws) but as soon as you are seen flagging yourself, finger on the trigger too early / late or the muzzle headed somewhere other than downrange you will likely not be allowed back to that range ever. With a holster like this, empty /unloaded gun draws, with perfect technique, should likely number 100+ before it is ever done with a loaded gun.

I have carried with an ankle holster in the long ago past. Good for you for understanding that it takes lots of practice. 100% of the draw practice I did was with an unloaded gun and dry fire. It's been my experience that this style of training is underutilized. Hope this helps and good luck on your quest.

I would recommend a whole bunch of unloaded draw practice before going to a range with live ammunition. It really is a pretty awkward thing to do. I gave it a good shot but it was not for me. I wear my jeans pretty 80's style normal fit, def no skinny jeans!
Yeah I got one of those 9mm red light practice rounds.

Thx for you thoughts!

Yeah I got one of those 9mm red light practice rounds.

Thx for you thoughts
I'll just address the holster practice part. Recommend focusing on this at home with a triple checked empty firearm. There are ranges that will allow it (i.e., unique holster draws) but as soon as you are seen flagging yourself, finger on the trigger too early / late or the muzzle headed somewhere other than downrange you will likely not be allowed back to that range ever. With a holster like this, empty /unloaded gun draws, with perfect technique, should likely number 100+ before it is ever done with a loaded gun.

I have carried with an ankle holster in the long ago past. Good for you for understanding that it takes lots of practice. 100% of the draw practice I did was with an unloaded gun and dry fire. It's been my experience that this style of training is underutilized. Hope this helps and good luck on your quest.
Super helpful and thank you!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads