JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why cause I don't carry 2 guns, I dont think Colts are Gods gift, and I don't think dropping 2k into a basic AR for IG likes is what this world revolves around? Am I just supposed to grab your pocket and follow you around?
Of course that's not it. It's the way you express yourself. Like everyone who dares disagree is beneath you.

Read some of the other comments made by the OP, they are judgmental and condescending. Making comments like carrying 2 guns translates into fantasies of wasting people and spending money a Colt makes them a wannabe operator. I'm done with it and his Bad Boys II meme. Ignore list time.
That's not even on this post thread. Sounds like you are looking for threads to crap on based on a previous encounter.

Dude... scroll on.

When I was the Auxiliary Security Force 1st Platoon Chief I told my crew the following:

Everybody has heard that "Reading is fundamental" what they don't realize is that the saying has been shortened. It's actually: "Reading is fundamental, but Comprehension is Key Mother Frackers!"

I had a bunch of enlisted that kept fracking it up for the platoon because they couldn't follow directions.

It will burn shortly. As what I have said in the OP has been misconstrued and taken out of context once again. Because people take this personally and words are offensive and hurtful.....

I would not worry too much about it there are some individuals on this board with pretty thin skin and if you get lucky they will put you on ignore.

Ah..........Politics of carry again! What is a RIGHT, and what is a privilege, and exactly what gives someone the right to decide that?

What and how I choose to carry is my own choice, and as I still have the absolute right I was born with, I will continue to carry, the 2nd is my concealed permit, PERIOD! I will not submit to requirements to exercise my rights, there is nothing in our constitution requiring it, and the laws of man take a back seat to the laws of my creator who has endowed me with those rights!

O.P. has a naturally abrasive personality, I understand that, and I understand the frustration it can cause, so I choose to take the high road and try to avoid conflict, BUT, when statements of absolute-isism, or superiority complex are made, a dumpster fire will always ensue!

Thing is the OP is asking how we as a community embrace and show new gun owners. This wasn't about the politics of carry until someone derailed it with attacks about previous posts on other threads.

Please go back to thread start and let me know if I've perceived that incorrectly.

Thing is the OP is asking how we as a community embrace and show new gun owners. This wasn't about the politics of carry until someone derailed it with attacks about previous posts on other threads.

Please go back to thread start and let me know if I've perceived that incorrectly.
Nope, yer gud!
I was addressing this whole thread, and how folks can/tend to tie things together outside the discussion. To be fair, I do understand the O.P. completely, and wasn't busting his chops except to point out his grit and determination, which is not a bad thing, just different to some unacustomed to such!

Why cause I don't carry 2 guns, I dont think Colts are Gods gift, and I don't think dropping 2k into a basic AR for IG likes is what this world revolves around? Am I just supposed to grab your pocket and follow you around?
Well I don't know who peed in your fruit loops but your posts are getting a bit bashy.

If you don't want to carry 2 guns, then don't; just don't bash those of us who choose to carry 2, or 3 or 4 or even 12.

If you don't like Colts, don't buy Colts. I don't like them either, but I still respect others who do like them.

If you don't want a $2k AR then stick with a basic AR. Or better yet, a BB gun might be better for you.

Enough.

Well I don't know who peed in your fruit loops but your posts are getting a bit bashy.

If you don't want to carry 2 guns, then don't; just don't bash those of us who choose to carry 2, or 3 or 4 or even 12.

If you don't like Colts, don't buy Colts. I don't like them either, but I still respect others who do like them.

If you don't want a $2k AR then stick with a basic AR. Or better yet, a BB gun might be better for you.

Enough.
The next important thing in communication is context. See my Platoon Chief post in this thread for context on this statement.

How about reply to the OP thread opening statement instead of piling on the dumpster fire.

I'm going to defer to Jeff Cooper and the triad of Marksmanship, Gun Handling and Mindset. Here is a photo of the Jeff Cooper Foundation coin.
h CooperCoin.jpg
Note how mindset is the foundation of the triad. Without this, cool tools and super fast Bill Drills go out the window. As an instructor, I try and encourage those newer to the concealed carry lifestyle to focus on this triad with a solid foundation in mindset, understanding the color codes, avoidance and other areas that will help to keep them alive by avoiding using the guns that I likely just helped them to shoot better.

Having said this, where exactly is "the bar" for training and qualification? One survey showed that about 1% of the folks who have permits in Texas have any additional training beyond the class to get their permit. My personal feeling is that it would behoove those carrying deadly weapons for their personal defense to have extensive training in all of these areas along with the laws of self defense. When someone tells me that the do not yet feel comfortable carrying even though they have obtained their permit, I congratulate them for a wise decision.

Going back to the point of mandating levels of training and education...do we really trust the governments in Oregon, Washington and California with this? (I hope everyone sees that as a rhetorical question.) Where exactly is this bar? My person one is pretty high. I've shot 52 times this year not counting dry fire, holster draws from concealment, reloads, etc. Not to compare sizes of manhood (I know there are some very well trained folks on this site) but should someone be required to spend the thousands that I have on training because I'm in a more fortunate situation at the moment and able to?

I hope, encourage and assist others to develop all their skills but at the end of the day I agree that the Second Amendment is absolute and will live with the dangerous freedom of some people not doing (what I think) they should for training.

First, we'll get this off my chest:

AD16FA6E-E9E7-486C-A4B9-93C8F0A8A82C.jpeg

I think its important to think of gun ownership as a spectrum rather than an absolute. Kind of like preferred clothing or music vs what tool to tighten a 1/2 inch nut. The first example being fairly unlimited while the second being more constrained.

One interesting thing that I've picked up from some really great instructors and people who have BTDT, is they can give you pros and cons for anything and argue both sides well. Clint Smith likes to carry a 1911, but he won't make his students shoot 1911s. He acknowledges the strengths and weaknesses of all sorts of guns and is happy that the student is carrying SOMETHING.

In contrast, guys like James Yeager have the "all pistols should be Glocks and all Glocks should be Glock 19s" preference and it turns some people off because you can't "be yourself". He may have his opinions based on his experience and carry philosophy, but that's not everyone's philosophy.

Me, I like a good 1911. I'm very confident with them. I appreciate their construction and feel. But, I've also been known to carry a Glock, or Sig, or M&P. My preference is for full size, or at least mid-size guns because I don't shoot small guns very well. I dress around my guns.

I understand that most gunfights happen close, but I've witnessed the value of a deliberately placed shot and prefer a gun that I can confidently shoot to 50 yards and still hit an 8 inch plate consistently. My carry philosophy is that I carry to defend myself and my family, but I know I could never stand by and watch innocents become victims. Hence, the requirement for accuracy beyond the average gunfight. But that's me, and it's not for everyone.

You're both still here....
You know, if you look just under the avatar for these posters there are some numbers there. Yours are in the 3 digit range. The people you're inviting to leave are in the 5 digit range. We're not going anywhere. The ignore list is a wonderful thing.

The mistakes I've made in concealed carry are as follows:
  • Carrying a gun of insufficient size and capacity for serious social work. "I wish I'd carried a smaller, lower-capacity, more comfortable pistol" said NO ONE EVER immediately following a gunfight!
  • Not carrying with a round chambered. "I wish I was slower getting my gun in the fight" said NO ONE EVER immediately following a gunfight!
  • Not carrying a spare magazine. "Accidentally ejecting my pistol mag due to stress didn't alter the outcome" said NO ONE EVER immediately following a gunfight!
  • Not getting formal training. "I wish I was less proficient with my firearm" said NO ONE EVER immediately following a gunfight!
  • Carrying concealed without a CHL. I'm a 2A absolutist, and believe the 2nd Amendment is our CHL/CWP/CPL, but don't lose your right to carry out of stupidity. I've had a lot more contact with LE than I've had need to defend myself with a firearm. "I wish I'd disobeyed more unconstitutional laws" said NO ONE EVER immediately after being arrested!
  • Using cheap, floppy holsters. "I wish it was harder and more dangerous to re-holster my gun" said NO ONE EVER immediately after shooting himself in the leg upon re-holstering!
If you insist on making these mistakes yourself, rather than learning from others who have gone before you, keep in mind that it could be very, very costly to you and your family!

Last Edited:
I'll try to summarize what I understand this specific thread to have proposed for discussion, mostly based on the last paragraph: "I wish we as a community would spend more time teaching, being realistic, and showing our mistakes. Along with that, focusing on mindset, mental awareness, and the emotional/responsibility of carrying a firearm."

- Different body types are most compatible with different types of firearms and everyone should consider what works for them and make their own choices;
- The OP is concerned that some people are more concerned with the fashion presentation and "cool factor" of carrying a firearm as opposed to prioritizing the safety and practical utility of the decision to carry a lethal tool;
- Carriers should make the decision to train for proficiency before carrying around the public out of civic responsibility, not a government mandate.
- Us older guys and young but experienced shooters could do more to assist new gun owners and new carriers with suggestions and helpful tips .

Maybe my interpretation is accurate, maybe it isn't. But I thought it would be helpful.
Personally as long as someone is carrying safely (not carrying a 1911 cocked with safety off, rubber band around the grip safety, in a pants pocket full of snickers bars in a school full of kids) then I don't care what or how they choose to carry. I'm just glad that like minded gun owners are carrying in case something goes down and the police are nowhere near to help.

So my first post on concealed carry and the gear was a dumpster fire..... I love dumpster fires but I didn't portray my thoughts very well and ruffled some feathers (imagine that).

What I want to portray is that we as a "gun community" have the obligation to portray the truth and realistic elements of carrying a gun. I remember when I first started carrying 10+ years ago. I wanted to carry what was in the pictures, what was cool, what people "said" they carried (which was all a lie) and for my body type was completely unrealistic. So at first I just quit trying to carry. Getting someone to just be comfortable carry a gun and being proficient with it is a task and a great accomplishment. So when I see people preaching 2 guns, all these mags, full-size handguns etc. Not saying you can't or shouldn't but with the amount of new shooters/gun owners and people who want to carry this topic can be very overwhelming. Yes "gear" is important but I wish we as a community would spend more time teaching, being realistic, and showing our mistakes. Along with that, focusing on mindset, mental awareness, and the emotional/responsibility of carrying a firearm.

I hope I did a better job this time as this is a serious topic and is extremely important to the survival and safety of us as humans as well as a community.

I wish that none of you ever have to carry and use. That's an emotional impact that some people dont recover from. But this is humanity and for some of us, it is likely that it will be necessary at one point. 8(

I'll try to summarize what I understand this specific thread to have proposed for discussion, mostly based on the last paragraph: "I wish we as a community would spend more time teaching, being realistic, and showing our mistakes. Along with that, focusing on mindset, mental awareness, and the emotional/responsibility of carrying a firearm."

- Different body types are most compatible with different types of firearms and everyone should consider what works for them and make their own choices;
- The OP is concerned that some people are more concerned with the fashion presentation and "cool factor" of carrying a firearm as opposed to prioritizing the safety and practical utility of the decision to carry a lethal tool;
- Carriers should make the decision to train for proficiency before carrying around the public out of civic responsibility, not a government mandate.
- Us older guys and young but experienced shooters could do more to assist new gun owners and new carriers with suggestions and helpful tips .

Maybe my interpretation is accurate, maybe it isn't. But I thought it would be helpful.
Personally as long as someone is carrying safely (not carrying a 1911 cocked with safety off, rubber band around the grip safety, in a pants pocket full of snickers bars in a school full of kids) then I don't care what or how they choose to carry. I'm just glad that like minded gun owners are carrying in case something goes down and the police are nowhere near to help.

What do you have against Snickers bars?

If someone wants to know my opinion and asks for it, I'm more than willing to share it and why I've formed it. Other than that, I let people find their own way and do their own thing.

I don't know, I personally like these kinds of threads. Anyone that expects us all to get along or agree is a fool.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top