JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my first post on concealed carry and the gear was a dumpster fire..... I love dumpster fires but I didn't portray my thoughts very well and ruffled some feathers (imagine that).

What I want to portray is that we as a "gun community" have the obligation to portray the truth and realistic elements of carrying a gun. I remember when I first started carrying 10+ years ago. I wanted to carry what was in the pictures, what was cool, what people "said" they carried (which was all a lie) and for my body type was completely unrealistic. So at first I just quit trying to carry. Getting someone to just be comfortable carry a gun and being proficient with it is a task and a great accomplishment. So when I see people preaching 2 guns, all these mags, full-size handguns etc. Not saying you can't or shouldn't but with the amount of new shooters/gun owners and people who want to carry this topic can be very overwhelming. Yes "gear" is important but I wish we as a community would spend more time teaching, being realistic, and showing our mistakes. Along with that, focusing on mindset, mental awareness, and the emotional/responsibility of carrying a firearm.

I hope I did a better job this time as this is a serious topic and is extremely important to the survival and safety of us as humans as well as a community.

A good image is a good guy doing what's right, being meek, polite, respectful and having a plan for any location you go.

Doesn't mean carrying as much gear as you can to the store. Put on what is appropriate for you to return home.

Firearms and how they are carried , are very personal and extremely subjective to the needs and wants of the individual and their own situation.
Naturally this will vary wildly and can be the cause of much speculation and discussion.

With that said...
Are there folks who take this too far....Sure.
Do some people think that one can "buy skill" ...Again sure.

I do agree that mindset , as in situational awareness , the willingness to do what is needed to survive and adaptability are important , perhaps , even more important , then who carries what or how.

At the end of the day I can only carry and do what I can for myself and the situations that I find myself in.
What others do , is beyond my control and at times , concern.
Andy

Gear selection has a big impact on the ability to carry. I've used Alien Gear Holster Cloak Tuck since they came to market. My rotation includes full size handguns as well as carry/compact.

I also have P238s and because the nature of my work, sometimes it's the only one I have on me... in my pants pocket.

So, it is possible to carry more than one pistol comfortably.

I think mindset is more important. There was another forum member that was almost robbed at gun point but because of his mindset was able to foil the robber. It's a good read if you haven't read it.

As to why I carry two, it just so happens that I can. Plus, I know my wife doesn't carry hers even though she has her CHL. So if needed, she can cover me.
Would I ever put us in that situation intentionally, never but I learned if you don't have a plan you've already lost.

Here's my take on concealed carry for new owners.
- Understand why, read up/watch videos on situational awareness.
- Find the gear that works for you: pistol, holster, belt
- Once you have your gear, with an empty weapon, wear it around your house doing the things you normally would. With it empty, practice drawing and holstering it.
- Learn to field strip the pistol. You should be completely comfortable with that tool.

Sorry but I'm not sorry and I have no obligation what-so-ever to portray or justify anything to new shooters/gun owners, the gun community, you or anyone else. I'm going to do what I'm I'm going to do and could care less what anyone else does unless they choose to breech my sphere of influence and get stupid.

If I want to carry two handguns I'll do it, if I want to put a $2K LPVO on my "Gucci gun" (as you say) I'll do it and I don't require or even desire approval from anyone.

Sorry but I'm not sorry and I have no obligation what-so-ever to portray or justify anything to new shooters/gun owners, the gun community, you or anyone else. I'm going to do what I'm I'm going to do and could care less what anyone else does unless they choose to breech my sphere of influence and get stupid.

If I want to carry two handguns I'll do it, if I want to put a $2K LPVO on my "Gucci gun" (as you say) I'll do it and I don't require or even desire approval from anyone.
I now have another person I have no desire to associate myself with.

B2A7BF8F-E024-4DF7-AE17-2D196400DBFE.jpeg

I read this OP and came at it from the angle of how we as a community mentor new gun owners... not apparently the point of view that you read the post as someone pointing out flaws. As your reply comes across that way.

How would you mentor a new gun owner in your family?

I mentioned exactly what I taught my kids and nephews.

The comment is now gone.... but the mentality of F**k everyone but me and I don't have to invest in the new and upcoming shooters does no one any favors. If one is unwilling to teach or be there to help another don't be surprised when you look around in a time of need and you're all alone with no one coming to your aid. I have several fantastic mentors and teachers and I owe everything to them for where I am today. And I still have a ton to learn.

I read this OP and came at it from the angle of how we as a community mentor new gun owners... not apparently the point of view that you read the post as someone pointing out flaws. As your reply comes across that way.

How would you mentor a new gun owner in your family?

I mentioned exactly what I taught my kids and nephews.

Read some of the other comments made by the OP, they are judgmental and condescending. Making comments like carrying 2 guns translates into fantasies of wasting people and spending money a Colt makes them a wannabe operator. I'm done with it and his Bad Boys II meme. Ignore list time.

Read some of the other comments made by the OP, they are judgmental and condescending. Making comments like carrying 2 guns translates into fantasies of wasting people and spending money a Colt makes them a wannabe operator. I'm done with it and his Bad Boys II meme. Ignore list time.
A agree wholeheartedly. I have nothing else nice to say so I'm going to leave it there, next to the dumpster. Which will soon be in flames. :)

OP...this country's royal "WE" of the gun community, is on the whole, is strictly singularity entity!

obvious evidence of this is our nation's completely disjointed statutory and the citizen's [read local/state/national] knee jerk approach towards mitigating the nonsense of limited cartridges in mags, no citizen carry w/o privilege card from state/local overseers, ad nauseam!

further, some state's don't mandate live fire for the privilege card issuance; while some mandate if you qualify w/say 9mm ~ that is the only caliber you can carry!

additionally, some citizens feel they are now mandated w/responsibility to defend jqpublic in general from bobby badguy!

for the record, i am a long time open carrier whose only operating premise is SA towards the concept of welfare of myself and loved ones...i do not go into tactical mode to protect others nor seek out bobby badguy...but instead seeking cover to defend my loved ones.

that you believe everyone needs to follow your perceived perception of carry concept(s) & specific defensive gear [read if someone carries a 22 i'm tickled to death because they have at least a defensive firearm] & have an apparent specific initial/ongoing training criteria is disappointing to say the least!

this is similar to which is better ~ chevy/ford; pickup/sedan; 38/9/10/40/45; consistent bull-eyes, head shots, or just bloody hitting target in group; or finally revolver/pistol/single/double ~

it is a personal choice based on multiple factors, e.g., $, time, physical constraints, etc.

The comment is now gone.... but the mentality of F**k everyone but me and I don't have to invest in the new and upcoming shooters does no one any favors. If one is unwilling to teach or be there to help another don't be surprised when you look around in a time of need and you're all alone with no one coming to your aid. I have several fantastic mentors and teachers and I owe everything to them for where I am today. And I still have a ton to learn.
The same mentality is also spread across those who will continue to vote in big government and who want to make sure their retirement and social security is guaranteed meanwhile screwing over their grandchildren and great grandchildren. I've found more people I know who are of this mindset, they also own firearms and as long as they have their -06 hunting rifle they think everyone else should too.

Responsible ownership should be just that, responsible. That is for handing as well as image in the public.

The same mentality is also spread across those who will continue to vote in big government and who want to make sure their retirement and social security is guaranteed meanwhile screwing over their grandchildren and great grandchildren. I've found more people I know who are of this mindset, they also own firearms and as long as they have their -06 hunting rifle they think everyone else should too.

Responsible ownership should be just that, responsible. That is for handing as well as image in the public.
I agree with you 100%

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads