Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

compartments in vehicle illegal?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by seattlewingsfan, Apr 3, 2011.

1. seattlewingsfan

seattlewingsfan Lakewood, Washington, United States Member

Alright i was searching for something online and came accross this old article. I looked around the forums on here and didn't see the article posted, so i thought i would share and as a question.

I have had things kind of like this in my car before. But only a few pistols and a AR. Permanent, safe lockable storage. Mine was back when I did high end stereos and was even motorized. I have never heard of it being illegal to have hidden compartments in a vehicle. This seems rediculous. I have seen things like this in a few cars here in washington too. I customize vehicles for a living, so people are always showing me cool stuff. Disclaimer "I do not remember who, so don't ask"

Whats your opinion? Know of any laws against it? Many many years ago when I was in Michigan I know border cops found lots of weed in stereo sub boxes crossing the border, and had on the news that this was illegal. But putting marajuana anywhere in a car is pretty much illegal, medical MJ aside.

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

"Possession of hidden compartments or “automotive safes,” as they are known in commercial parlance, is not illegal in most states.1 Hidden compartments are illegal in only a handful of states to include California, Illinois, and Michigan. 2 Penalties for possession of illegal traps vary from seizure of the vehicle in Illinois, to jail or prison time not to exceed 1 year in California."

Common Vehicle Concealment Methods in the United States - Drugs

The link on this page to the original DEA article no longer works.

3. seattlewingsfan

seattlewingsfan Lakewood, Washington, United States Member

Thanks for the info.

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Since some Honda's come with concealed locking compartments they must be illegal in some states. My Honda Ody has one and it's within reach of the driver too.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
    Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
    John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member