JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I went with the utility type with multiple blades ya know just in case one got dull (like me) just flip out another. Of course the utility one everyone should have as well, but I have lots more for just chits and giggles too. Last expensive one I bought was a second infidel that ended up self identifying (after a meet up) as a ruger 38. I dont plan on getting into a knife fight or needing to use one for survival so I go cheap as long as it cuts. I usually just give away knives if I get tired of them It's not worth the effort to try to sell one.

100_1065.jpg 002.JPG

Can you explain $500+ knives? How are they better at cutting? Or is it more about materials again. If materials only, then I don't think they should be put in the same category as other consumer goods.

I guess my main core concept of knives isn't of their quality, but of their purpose.
There are diminishing returns so I can't say 500 dollars is the make/break point but yes, a more expensive knife with better materials and more complex manufacturing will get sharper and stay sharper for longer and cut better depending on the application it is designed for. You are paying for material and manufacturing time, equipment and expertise.
Because of the aforementioned diminishing returns and your correct statement of the core concept/purpose of knives you would pay a lot to get a knife that is arguably "a little" better.
I believe the core concept of an automobile is transportation from A to B.
I can get a very comfortable Toyota/Hyundai/Whatever with leather seats and all the amenities that goes faster than I'll ever need and probably is more reliable than any Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari/Lamborghini, etc. it's not that the fancier cars aren't better in any way but i just don't appreciate their value as in my eyes the core concept is the same and I've passed the point of diminishing returns.

So, a cheap knife will also cut… ;)

Thanks for this write up. I appreciate the comparison. Though that one wasn't the greatest leap in price differences.

Can you explain $500+ knives? How are they better at cutting? Or is it more about materials again. If materials only, then I don't think they should be put in the same category as other consumer goods.

I guess my main core concept of knives isn't of their quality, but of their purpose. To cut stuff. It's an ancient necessity, being that humans have made some form of cutting tool going back as far as humans existed.

Compared to other things, I guess I'm stuck on the point, pun intended, of the luxuries of an item as simple as a knife. A knife can be pretty much any sharp object in my opinion. As long as it cuts, I fail to see why it needs to be horribly expensive or have extreme materials used to build it outside of use as art.

The gun comparison is hard to grasp too. As the nicer it is made the better it should shoot. Though modern machining and materials have made the expensive guns not tremendously better than the lesser expensive ones. That same concept applies to knives where steels have been developed to the point of nausea, so what metals are used in more expensive knives that is so drastically better than those of mass produced ones? I imagine a $1 knife still have far superior steel used in it than 100 years ago.

I understand a tight fit might be nice in a folder. That's about it really. Most metals hold an edge and most companies making knives use adequate metals.
I carry a $450.00 fixed blade daily…..

So, a cheap knife will also cut… ;)

Thanks for this write up. I appreciate the comparison. Though that one wasn't the greatest leap in price differences.

I guess my main core concept of knives isn't of their quality, but of their purpose. To cut stuff. It's an ancient necessity, being that humans have made some form of cutting tool going back as far as humans existed.

Compared to other things, I guess I'm stuck on the point, pun intended, of the luxuries of an item as simple as a knife. A knife can be pretty much any sharp object in my opinion. As long as it cuts, I fail to see why it needs to be horribly expensive or have extreme materials used to build it outside of use as art.

The gun comparison is hard to grasp too. As the nicer it is made the better it should shoot. Though modern machining and materials have made the expensive guns not tremendously better than the lesser expensive ones. That same concept applies to knives where steels have been developed to the point of nausea, so what metals are used in more expensive knives that is so drastically better than those of mass produced ones? I imagine a $1 knife still have far superior steel used in it than 100 years ago.

I understand a tight fit might be nice in a folder. That's about it really. Most metals hold an edge and most companies making knives use adequate metals.
At some point you get diminishing returns on your purchase. Is a $5000 night hawk a better gun than $2000 Dan Wesson? I've shot both, and if they didn't have logos, you'd be ard pressed to tell a difference.

Same goes with high end knives. You start to pay for luxury, exclusivity, name, rarity. Look, this stuff ain't for everyone. I don't have a $500 knife, and I don't have a $5000 1911. But I see their appeal, their place in the market, and I don't begrudge those that buy them.

At some point you get diminishing returns on your purchase. Is a $5000 night hawk a better gun than $2000 Dan Wesson? I've shot both, and if they didn't have logos, you'd be ard pressed to tell a difference.

Same goes with high end knives. You start to pay for luxury, exclusivity, name, rarity. Look, this stuff ain't for everyone. I don't have a $500 knife, and I don't have a $5000 1911. But I see their appeal, their place in the market, and I don't begrudge those that buy them.
Just to be clear (and not aimed at anyone in particular) a lifelong friend and knife maker has exposed me to $5000 knives and yea a $200k Lamborghini is very appealing to me and if I made that kind of money I might buy one and have no malice towards those that do.

I get materials and art labor etc etc and am not saying a $600 knife isn't worth $600. My main point was that I don't understand why a $350 production knife lists used for $330.

No complaints just wanted to be clear as there has been a slight thread drift but discussions are going to do that of course.

I'd never pay top dollar for a knife I was gunna beat to hell on a daily basis. But I have no issue spending 400-500 dollars on a knife that I would only be using in a self defense scenario. Personally.

Last Edited:
I bought a $55 knife to be my at work knife and use it as such.

I have other knives that are just for going out like a nice watch etc.

I also have $15 knives I only use to open packages or whatever cuz I don't care if they take some abuse.

I love fixed blades but unfortunately I live to close to Vancouver City where all fixed blade knives are illegal and I am just as likely to use the knife I have one me to defend myself and family as I am a gun - it all depends on the situation and I like to be prepared.

I find making an offer on any item being sold an acceptable practice. However, that very topic has had discussion threads on this forum in the past and some members claim any offer less than the asking price they posted is inappropriate...
Oh well, you can't please everybody.

Every man sees value different. I brought home a bayonet from Iraq that nobody here would give ten bucks for but it's worth a lot to me.

Some guys collect, buy and sell for profit or maybe buy as a tool so when the knives come up for sale prices vary.

Heck there are so many makes and novels you could fill books with them. Seems to be millions of knives and knife makers.

My worthless opinion is a man selling a knife that's not factory should write up a sales sheet describing what you are buying. All the knife stores do.

Every man sees value different. I brought home a bayonet from Iraq that nobody here would give ten bucks for but it's worth a lot to me.

Some guys collect, buy and sell for profit or maybe buy as a tool so when the knives come up for sale prices vary.

Heck there are so many makes and novels you could fill books with them. Seems to be millions of knives and knife makers.

My worthless opinion is a man selling a knife that's not factory should write up a sales sheet describing what you are buying. All the knife stores do.
Yup. I got a container full of sand from Iwo Jima. Not worth anything but it's worth a lot to me. Value is dictated by each individual and they don't always align.

I find making an offer on any item being sold an acceptable practice. However, that very topic has had discussion threads on this forum in the past and some members claim any offer less than the asking price they posted is inappropriate...
Oh well, you can't please everybody.
I spent from 4-12 years old overseas in a 3rd world country because of my dads work and the practice of haggling was not only common but a way of life - you would definitely be considered stupid or an ignorant foreigner to pay anything above half the listed price.

Needless to say it has taken me decades to adjust to people being honestly offended at low offers (as opposed to the show of what haggling is), so I rarely make them and when I do I don't do it to offend or try to steal something from someone, I do it for pretty much 2 reasons.

1. It's all the funds I can currently come up with.

&

2. I feel the asking price is not realistic and I offer what it is worth to me.

That hk folder was a steal at big 5 , maybe 10 years ago. Wish I'd bought a few more.
I have about 14 of those spring assist and believe they were $12 ea . I also have 10 in the box of the otf epidemic and could not pass them up for the price ! I hate it when they discontinue a knife and loose mine so took care of that because change is bad !!!!

I believe any person has the right to ask any price for their own property...
However, as others have pointed out, it is not unusual to see asking prices in the classified at the same level or higher than can be found new at retail with warranty, shipping, etc. Just makes you shake your head and wonder why anyone would buy it.

Just looking for some clarification so it's an opinion piece and everyone has one so be kind but I'm trying to figure out why the knife section is the way it is.

I see used (both never carried/cut - needs to be sharpened) knifes priced at or $20 under what I can find ones online for and unless you live 10 minutes from me I would just as soon pay tax and get free shipping to my door then drive 30-90 min for that small of a discount.

I understand niche items go for a premium but I'm mostly looking at mass produced folders as that is my personal preference and the ones I have get used. So paying $80 for a $250 knife makes sense where paying $280 for a $300 knife doesn't.

Are all knives that collectible was my first thought but almost none of the ones I see in the last 6 months are all that special and the only ones that have seem to have sold are either good deals or people might be unaware that there are reputable companies online where you can sometimes get them for less then a local deal.

Again, not bashing if this is your thing - really just trying to understand.

Is it kosher to offer what would most likely be considered a lowball number to someone who posted a knife a year ago?

Or is it maybe better to do what I've been doing and keep scrolling?

Thanks for the input in advance!
It's called the endowment effect. That's why most used firearms listed in classifieds here are 120-150% of new price. It makes zero sense to me which is why I rarely look at the classifieds.

In my opinion the main reason to pay more for some knives is the metallurgy of quality knife steel. Then comes design, handle material, construction etc.
The argument that all knives are effective is kind of like suggesting there is no difference in an inexpensive vs expensive set of tires or binoculars...
Some may not need or want to pay the diminishing returns as the price goes up, but that doesn't equate to they are all the same and do the job equivalently.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top