JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, a 19 year old Russian kid probably stealing a car in Washington State...what a shocker! Russian gangs in Washington have made it one of the highest auto theft states in the country. Of course the immediately responds with how innocent, peace loving, and caring he was. Thy are shocked about what happened. He must have been keeping the profits from auto theft on the DL, like any 19 year old. Same story as always, a piece of bubblegum criminal is killed and we prosecute the guy he was robbing. Can anyone say Trayvon Martin...

OK IF the guy was walking away,AWAY FROM THE HOUSE,then he was in the wrong.
IF the guy was walking away,TOWARDS THE HOUSE,after kicking the Father's A$$,then I would probably shoot him too.

I mean you just kicked the Dad's ***,so you are free and clear to go do as you please with momma and the kids,right?

Now I worded it that way for a reason. Because the news report had all the family's statements about what a good person the prowler was and all that.
Has nothing to do with the fact that he was prowling with intent on stealing sh!t.
How the robber is,or seems to his family has anything to do with what he was doing on someone else's property. Probably a fine family member,doesn't mean he didn't have a dark side

If you start to look at every argument that the prosecutor has,you can overcome it by saying you feared for someone's life by what the perp was doing.
I guess we just need to educate the lawyers on this subject?

Read (2) a few times in my link above, wa justifiable homicide law is actually pretty strong in my opinion.
Agreed.

Wow, a 19 year old Russian kid probably stealing a car in Washington State...what a shocker! Russian gangs in Washington have made it one of the highest auto theft states in the country.
They can be some shady people. Property behind our house is owned by Russians, tons of cars and such sitting around, lots of people living there in the house, mobile homes and campers. Where I work there's a trucking company that's Russian owned next to our building, I kept finding gallon jugs of diesel engine oil and boxes for truck parts in our locked dumpster. They were sliding the hinge pin out to throw their trash in our dumpster, at least until I welded it. Then I found some obvious bolt cutter marks on the lock.

I guess then all you can do is tell the person to get off your property. Then retreat into your house and hope he/she doesn't douse it with gasoline and light it on fire or follow you into the house before you have time to call 911. Of course the Police will investigate when they respond.......... the next day.

My hope is that this guy did the right thing and is exonerated. Another black mark for gun owners if not.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of WA trespass law, but in general, under American law, one is usually justified in using sufficient physical force to eject a trespasser, but no more than that.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of WA trespass law, but in general, under American law, one is usually justified in using sufficient physical force to eject a trespasser, but no more than that.

Exactly. You are entitled to use force to defend your property. Any "decent" criminal will simply turn and leave. This Russian teenager chose to fight the fat guy instead, and LOST. Once he turned to attack, he committed a violent felony, and you're entitled to use LETHAL force to defend yourself. No, it's not your fault simply because you chose to defend your property - you're entitled to, whether it's a "good idea" or not. The Russian teen was the one who chose lethal force rather than fleeing, and Mr. Doucette's only choice at that point - while beaten to the ground - was who was going to die.

Doucette was beat down on the GROUND, and at least some of the reports state that the holes in the Russian were in his chest.

Looks like the man did the right thing trying to protect his wife. It's sad what they have been put through for over a year but at least they are alive.

That witness told police in September 2013 that Dumitrash reached for Doucette's gun as they were fighting on the ground. Court documents state the two men got up and Doucette stepped in front of his wife to protect her as Dumitrash again tried to grab his gun.

"And that's when the Russian guy was still trying to fight him again and ran towards him. And that's when he shot him," the witness stated in a September 2013 interview with detectives, according to court documents

the crime lab report states Dumitrash was between 15 inches and 4 feet away from the gun when he was shot.

I think a lot of people reflexively hate his appearance because he's obese.
I hate fat people as much as anyone (even though that is pretty much a case of self loathing in my fat assed case) but the main point to me is that you NEVER shoot when someone is fleeing. If the immediate threat is over you let the law do it's job. Still, there is something to be said for the school of thought that says "If you commit crimes and assault people you forfeit your right to safety." The homeowner did not create the situation where he had to make the decision...even if it was a bad decision.

PS: I find it almost ironic that the last part of the victims name is "trash."

Only if they refuse to leave....

....but the main point to me is that you NEVER shoot when someone is fleeing. If the immediate threat is over you let the law do it's job.....
I would agree however that was not the case here. The implication by the media and one witness is contrary to the physical evidence which says the perpetrator was shot in the chest. This was reported at the time however only one media station reported it as it did not fit their agenda. A much more likely scenario that fits the evidence is that the perpetrator was shot while attacking and then turned to run and made it a few steps before collapsing. Witness saw the collapse and their mind filled in the details even though they were inaccurate. Shame on the prosecution as they are already aware that this is a common occurrence. (The mind filling in details to match what it believes occurred)

I would agree however that was not the case here. The implication by the media and one witness is contrary to the physical evidence which says the perpetrator was shot in the chest. This was reported at the time however only one media station reported it as it did not fit their agenda. A much more likely scenario that fits the evidence is that the perpetrator was shot while attacking and then turned to run and made it a few steps before collapsing. Witness saw the collapse and their mind filled in the details even though they were inaccurate. Shame on the prosecution as they are already aware that this is a common occurrence. (The mind filling in details to match what it believes occurred)
I am aware of that...I was making the first point so I could make the second point.

The use of deadly force in WA State is pretty clear. Once the fighters have disengaged, and one is leaving, the use of deadly force is longer allowed. Which is what it sounded like from the beginning.

But having been on the ground, disengage and then the perp comes back after you...deadly force remains on the table.

I agree, it appears that the witness most likely saw the suspect drop after the shots had been fired...not during.

But which has been proven so many times, that the threat perceived can change while the mind is reacting to the threat. Meaning, you see the perp facing you, but when you react they have had time to turn. Since you're mind is already in motion it is hard to stop, thus some will get shot in the side and back. It looks bad to the public, but in essence its still a good shoot.

It appears the PA jumped before getting all the facts...shame, shame.

I hate fat people as much as anyone (even though that is pretty much a case of self loathing in my fat assed case) but the main point to me is that you NEVER shoot when someone is fleeing. If the immediate threat is over you let the law do it's job. Still, there is something to be said for the school of thought that says "If you commit crimes and assault people you forfeit your right to safety." The homeowner did not create the situation where he had to make the decision...even if it was a bad decision.

PS: I find it almost ironic that the last part of the victims name is "trash."

Lol... "Dumi"

Good news for the guy. so basically he spent a year of his life in hell defending his actions on the BS account od a witness....

Too bad he has an unknown amount of time left fighting a civil case in court. This is far from over for him, unfortunately.

I have always thought that if I ever had to shoot in self defense, and actually kill someone in the process, the first course of action would likely be bankruptcy.... :(
That is not an option as bankruptcy does NOT discharge certain debts and civil suit judgements are one of those, as well as legal fines (and Student Loans too).

That is not an option as bankruptcy does NOT discharge certain debts and civil suit judgements are one of those, as well as legal fines (and Student Loans too).
This I understand. But if I get rid of all assets all they can come after is wages which would still suck, but would be better than losing my house, truck, cars, guns, etc. I guess it would be more like liquidation/bankruptcy. My point is they can't get blood from a turnip I suppose.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews