JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sounds like conflicting stories. the guy was shot in the chest while he walked away from his home? i dont know how you walk away from someone and still get shot in the chest. a guy comes up to your home and you dont know him, start fighting and defending yourself to an absolute is a bad thing?

sounds like he is getting the shaft for protecting his home.

sounds like conflicting stories. the guy was shot in the chest while he walked away from his home? i dont know how you walk away from someone and still get shot in the chest. a guy comes up to your home and you dont know him, start fighting and defending yourself to an absolute is a bad thing?

sounds like he is getting the shaft for protecting his home.
I'd like to think he was protecting his wife and family inside the house.

With the current state of the Law, a home owner is better off barricading inside, wait for the prowler to become and intruder, which kind of sucks. It is dark, with an intruder in his property, it is not easy to assess "motive, means and opportunity". The advantage should go to the home owner.

There's an eyewitness who said the prowler was walking away when he was shot - after assaulting Doucette and leaving him on the ground.

What shocks me is that the comments on KATU are so uniformly negative. It was a car prowl gone bad followed by an assault, and the criminal got shot. The Prosecutor must have heard something from witnesses he didn't like, charging Doucette with Murder II instead of Manslaughter. The commenters are all piling on.

Doucette is not some kind of loser. He's a Marine, he did a tour in Afghanistan, he's been working a lousy job as a security guard for 4 years, and he's been married for 7 years. What he does not have is a criminal record - nada. I think a lot of people reflexively hate his appearance because he's obese.

I'm going to be paying attention to this one: the testimony of the ME will be crucial to the case.

Forensics tell the whole story. You simply cannot shoot somebody when they are walking away from you even if they just did kick your a*s or rip off your car. That simple. Knowing the ROE and threat levels and your response to them is key to staying out of jail.

With the current state of the Law, a home owner is better off barricading inside, wait for the prowler to become and intruder, which kind of sucks. It is dark, with an intruder in his property, it is not easy to assess "motive, means and opportunity". The advantage should go to the home owner.

this is why we NEED Castle Law in Wash and OR.....but progressives love criminals,victims, dead women and children, and hate gun and property owners, and too many progressives occupy the walls of power here, so its unlikely to happen.

Again, Oregon law is pretty clear about when you can use deadly force. Just because someone is on your property trespassing is not a sufficient threat level to use deadly force. You can certainly challenge them, and even confront them outside, but blasting them just because they are there is not going to make it with the DA. If yo had the opportunity to remain in your house, and not confront the threat since they were not harming your family, then dude would be eating dinner at home tonight.

If they are making forcible entry to your home, that is a different story. I will challenge them from within the house and call the police, but probably just staying put, well armed inside, unless they decide to break in. Then it is on. Whole different level of threat and response required then.

Again, Oregon law is pretty clear about when you can use deadly force. Just because someone is on your property trespassing is not a sufficient threat level to use deadly force. You can certainly challenge them, and even confront them outside, but blasting them just because they are there is not going to make it with the DA. If yo had the opportunity to remain in your house, and not confront the threat since they were not harming your family, then dude would be eating dinner at home tonight.

If they are making forcible entry to your home, that is a different story. I will challenge them from within the house and call the police, but probably just staying put, well armed inside, unless they decide to break in. Then it is on. Whole different level of threat and response required then.

Once again...

You should never, ever, ever leave your home to confront a prowler. Nothing good will come from it.

Quoting Oregon laws and Statutes are an interesting exercise in "what-if" debate. However, I'm pretty sure Vancouver is still in Washington and none of those statutes count for a bucket of warm spit.

Once again...

You should never, ever, ever leave your home to confront a prowler. Nothing good will come from it.

Quoting Oregon laws and Statutes are an interesting exercise in "what-if" debate. However, I'm pretty sure Vancouver is still in Washington and none of those statutes count for a bucket of warm spit.

Oh well my bad....I am just going to go out on a limb here and say that Washington likely has a very similar law that says you can't blast some one that is not physically posing a threat to you or your family. If Washington has such a law that permits it, feel free to link us up with that one.

And your point about leaving your house is spot on.

You can walk away from someone while facing them. Gee I sure can. And if someone was pointing a gun at me I think I might just be walking backwards.

I'll bet this boils down to the homeowner shot the guy when the homeowners life or to the life of another person was not being threatened.

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

[2011 c 336 § 354; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.050.]

I guess then all you can do is tell the person to get off your property. Then retreat into your house and hope he/she doesn't douse it with gasoline and light it on fire or follow you into the house before you have time to call 911. Of course the Police will investigate when they respond.......... the next day.

My hope is that this guy did the right thing and is exonerated. Another black mark for gun owners if not.

This was on the Spokane news, they used the "while walking away" statement. We'll see, and we'll also see what happens later and who was this "witness"? The bad guys accompless?. Consider RCW 9A.16.110

Anyway, Clark co and Vancouvor are pretty much extensions of Portland...the people in political office are anti's.

I find it sad that the way the article is framed is confusing at best. The pictures they used of both people are lame. The shooter looks like a fat jeffrey dahmer crazy with no expression on his face in an orange jail jump suit and the dead criminal's picture looks clean cut and smiling. Typical media BS. The shooter should have known better than to leave the home to confront anyone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top