JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But on a machine gun even if it was less than 16" it's still a single stamp.

On anything other than a machine gun it's either an SBR or it's not. If it's a machine gun it's not an SBR even if it has a less than 16" barrel because it is a machine gun which trumps SBR

Yes. After thinking about it I answered my myself but you beat me to it.

I REALLY don't wanna get off topic in this thread but I got a question about registered auto sears. If I've got a 2017 lower but a registered auto sear (and FA bolt etc.....), can I LEGALLY put that into the lower? Any legalities on the extra holes or milling of the lower?

Reason I'm asking is some dude at my local GS told me I CAN'T put a registered sear in a post 86 lower. That would be manufacturing....but from what I read you can....I'll post what I read in a few

Are you sure about that? I thought machine gun trumps everything? A factory full auto integral suppressed SBR being one stamp, But a suppressed semi auto SBR takes two.

I could be wrong

yeah i think you got me there.

screw the NFA
It's been said somewhat, but select fire trumps SBR. An integrally suppressed upper is a separate component, so two stamps.

some dude...told me
There's your answer right there. As long as you have a registered DIAS, you can make your rifle accommodate it. The serial number of the rifle has nothing to do with NFA "manufacturing," and furthermore, using his logic no DIAS could ever be used if it wasn't already in place in 1986. Come on. That kind of stupid should have tasted bad in his mouth. "Why does your AR have a cutout for a DIAS?" "Because I have a registered DIAS to put in it."

It's been said somewhat, but select fire trumps SBR. An integrally suppressed upper is a separate component, so two stamps.

Then why does not not take two stamps for a SBR upper? It comes apart as well but is covered by the FA lower as long as they are assembled?

and of course what I said was a factory integral suppressed short barreled machine gun was one stamp, which I still think it is even if the upper came off (which if you sold it would be a unregistered suppressed SBR on another lower)

Then why does not not take two stamps for a SBR upper? It comes apart as well but is covered by the FA lower as long as they are assembled?

and of course what I said was a factory integral suppressed short barreled machine gun was one stamp, which I still think it is even if the upper came off (which if you sold it would be a unregistered suppressed SBR on another lower)
If you have an FA lower, that's it. That's the gun. The upper is not a firearm, and does not require a stamp. Now if you have an SBR upper, and no NFA lower, nor a pistol lower, then you're in the constructive possession category. An integrally suppressed upper IS the silencer, which is why it needs a stamp. Also, if that upper has a barrel length of less than 16", then the lower it goes on had better be either a pistol lower, or an NFA lower.

Funny, I just looked all this stuff cause I'm interested in a MP5 series weapon (for around $45-50,000 BTW, holy fk the wife's gonna lose her sht) and you would be correct from what I read. Although there is a little grey area I thought of, the can being permanently attached. That would be only 1 stamp cause the "barrel" (with can) is 16+... Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

I recently saw a select-fire MP5 / suppressor combo for the low, low price of $35k. I'll buy it right after I get the $60k Ram pickup I've been looking at - right after I win the lottery.

If you have an FA lower, that's it. That's the gun. The upper is not a firearm, and does not require a stamp. Now if you have an SBR upper, and no NFA lower, nor a pistol lower, then you're in the constructive possession category. An integrally suppressed upper IS the silencer, which is why it needs a stamp. Also, if that upper has a barrel length of less than 16", then the lower it goes on had better be either a pistol lower, or an NFA lower.

The short barreled upper is only constructive possession if you have a rifle lower to which it will attach and no pistol lower or SBR registered lower.

I.E., there has to be a lower for constructive possession, the short barrel by itself is not enough.

Fellow members -

Three close relatives attended a firearms training / carry class yesterday.
My relatives were already experienced shooters but took the class so they can apply for carry permits.
They have their fingerprint cards, certificate of class completion? Should be good to go.
Instructors are now out of the picture.

They were told by one of the retired LEO's that if an officer asks, you're legally required to inform them if you're carrying & that they can then inspect your weapon and run the s/n. Consult a criminal defense attorney after you co-operate, and are allowed to go on your way. See next paragraph.
I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) the only time you're required to inform them is if you're being placed under arrest and if they ask you can refuse to answer. Refusal to answer would most likely cause an officer to go on defense however if I was stopped, based on the initial interaction I'd be inclined to volunteer that I was carrying. Good, see paragraph below. If they started off with what I call a "cop attitude" I wouldn't volunteer anything. Next to domestic dispute scenes, traffic stops are dangerous. Cop attitude may be he worries what may happen here. Until the officer relaxes I keep my hands visible, movements slow. Obey his commands.

I'm not the 'carry a gun openly to assert my rights' kind of guy (me neither) like you see on YouTube and those types ruin it for law abiding citizens. I bought Kevin Starrett's book a couple of years ago Great! but it's in storage at the moment and I don't remember if my questions regarding informing LEO's was covered. Issue 2010 Chapter 5 page 44 I'd appreciate some knowledgeable responses and if possible Statute Citations if available. It's possible what I've considered to be my "rights" regarding these matters are based on hearsay and not actual law. No obligation to volunteer your CC. When Leo runs your DL, he will know about your CC.

I have a lot of respect for courteous & professional LEO's but have known a couple of them quite well socially (in a state just south of OR) & they were not professional. One guy would start playing darts with my brother-in-law & I on Saturday mornings & we drank beer for hours. Then he'd go on duty at 4:00 PM & admitted a couple of times that his partner had to drive b/c he was too drunk. Not the norm but it taints a person's attitude after seeing it occur repeatedly. Some folks are like that.

Thanks in advance.
Your relatives took the class so they can apply for carry permits.
I hope they follow through and get the Oregon License.
Note (what I do)
I've been stopped a couple times since getting my CC (4 years ago). The CC is directly behind my driver's license.
I open my bi-fold wallet in full view of the officer, hand him my license. Officer can see the CC.
Officer says "I see you have a CC, are you carrying, and where is it?"
"Yes, officer, G27 right hip, condition 1"
Officer says "Keep it where it is, and I'll keep mine where mine is." Yes sir.
I ask "Insurance is in the glove box, permission to get it?" and we get down to traffic stop business.
I minimize my words, stay focused on the moment.

Note: LEO is the authority having jurisdiction, respect the authority, if you cannot respect the officer.

Note: Kevin has updated his book c 2016 (I ordered it today Sunday 1-29-2017 $12.95 from OFF)(arrived Tuesday 1-31-2017)

Last Edited:
Funny, I just looked all this stuff cause I'm interested in a MP5 series weapon (for around $45-50,000 BTW, holy fk the wife's gonna lose her sht) and you would be correct from what I read. Although there is a little grey area I thought of, the can being permanently attached. That would be only 1 stamp cause the "barrel" (with can) is 16+... Someone correct me if I'm wrong......
ya no doubt my best friend was shootin a $30k uzi the other day. my sh!t the would be on the curb if i came home with one of those

There's your answer right there. As long as you have a registered DIAS, you can make your rifle accommodate it. The serial number of the rifle has nothing to do with NFA "manufacturing," and furthermore, using his logic no DIAS could ever be used if it wasn't already in place in 1986. Come on. That kind of stupid should have tasted bad in his mouth. "Why does your AR have a cutout for a DIAS?" "Because I have a registered DIAS to put in it."

Just for clarification purposes only, the "some dude" was behind the counter of a class 3 dealer I frequent. Hit me up in pm and I tell who and what store and exactly the conversation....I've still got clarification questions on this subject also

Fear of losing value is my biggest stumbling block from buying a full auto. My fear is I go spend $30,000 on a M16 and a month later Trump will reverse the Hughes amendment of FOPA. And I'll have a $30,000 rifle worth $1500

Fear of losing value is my biggest stumbling block from buying a full auto. My fear is I go spend $30,000 on a M16 and a month later Trump will reverse the Hughes amendment of FOPA. And I'll have a $30,000 rifle worth $1500

I honestly don't see that happening......EVER.
Cans?, yes. SMGs and such, no. Just my opinion

Kinda skimmed the answers here (sorry) But is the question, say you're carrying when you're asked? OR say you're carrying when/if you're stopped?

In OR, the latter is not required, play that one as you see if, the former, i believe would/is law anywhere to do so.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top