JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hoping someone could weigh in on the civil war sabers posted on a different site. If they are authentic, they are some very nice examples of cavalry swords used during the Civil War. I have no affiliation with the seller, just purely curious.

Same model perhaps, but they weren't used in the Civil War.
"They were purchased from the army in 1920 and have been cared for by a collector ever since."

Someone brought this up a while back about wanting to buy some. Some of the people here who know a lot about this warned there is a TON of fakes out there. Fakes that have been being made since long before I was born. So bottom line you would really need an expert to actually hold and inspect one to have any idea if it really was made at that time or not.

As noted above....
Lots and lots of replica CW sabers out there....some are over 50 years old with wear and tear.
Also with practice it is fairly easy to fake a patina / old look to 'em.

If I could actually see the saber....I'd pay close attention to the markings and leather hand grip...
Those two areas are more difficult to fake a look or finish to.

Sword Buyer's Guide Forum is a good one for swords and sword knowledge....those one's listed may be original...
but appear to have been cleaned at some point...which can hurt value.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top