JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In 2007, I got a DUI and was later convicted of it in 2008. I read the requirements for obtaining a CHL in Marion County, it says must Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past 4 years, and must Not have a documented problem with alcohol. Will this disqualify me from getting my CHL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Sounds like it, doesn't it. But, since I do not work for the State Police nor, am I a lawyer; I recommend you contact either of those sorces for a definative answer. Legal advice on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it.....nothing!

In 2007, I got a DUI and was later convicted of it in 2008. I read the requirements for obtaining a CHL in Marion County, it says must Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past 4 years, and must Not have a documented problem with alcohol. Will this disqualify me from getting my CHL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.
yep, don't bother applying.

The requirement is based upon one's ability to exercise good judgment; getting popped for a DUI pretty much blows that precondition all to poop. The requirements are the same state wide, not just Marion County.

If you want to throw money at an attorney, well...it's your money.

The requirement is based upon one's ability to exercise good judgment; getting popped for a DUI pretty much blows that precondition all to poop. The requirements are the same state wide, not just Marion County.

Where did you find that? I can't find anything in ORS 166.291 that supports your statement. If the crime is a misdemeanor, it has to be over 4 years.

d2b78312-2a0b-49e3-b6f6-89882d9f7785.jpg

I'm not giving up that easy. I would wait until after the four year mark after the conviction date to apply. I'm just wondering what they consider "documented problem with alcohol." I'm not sure a DUI counts, because I'm thinking it's more along the lines of a habitual offender or someone with a known addiction. But I could be wrong... We'll see.

Were you "Convicted" or did you take Diversion?

A friend of mine has a DUII on his record and still got his CHL. Of course it was almost 10 years old and since he took diversion it wasn't considered a "Conviction".

Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. And it's not 4 years post offense, it's 4 years post conviction.

Exactly where do they use a phrase regarding one's judgement? Nowhere does the word "judgement" appear on their CHL application. I never specified if the date was post offense or conviction as it's plainly spelled out on the applications and in statute.

I would think they would look hard at someone with more that one DUI on their record, but if you have an otherwise spotless record, and it has been four years since your conviction, I'll bet you are okay.

All it said on mine was have you had any felonies or misdemeanors (including infractions or violations) related to possession or use of a controlled substance, and then it says (Alcohol is not a controlled substance).

Give it a shot, state your case to the big guy and worst case go home $65 poorer. :)

drew, feel free to call them and ask...here's their phone number:
http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm
When completing the application process in 2000 our group was admonished: "If you have a DUI on your record do not expect to be approved as it is our policy to view that as an exercise in poor judgement ..." You would have to inquire of them as to what part of the statute they rely upon. As I have never been charged with DUI, I didn't much care.

I figure that if the OSP and FBI were willing to let me purchase 2 handguns in the last 2 months, then the Marion County Sheriff office should be willing to let me get my license to carry one... If only it were that simple, haha.

I'm not giving up that easy. I would wait until after the four year mark after the conviction date to apply. I'm just wondering what they consider "documented problem with alcohol." I'm not sure a DUI counts, because I'm thinking it's more along the lines of a habitual offender or someone with a known addiction. But I could be wrong... We'll see.

A DUI pretty much is by definition "a documented problem with alcohol" is it not?

It's a simple question -genius, just give 'em a call...they have no reason to lie to you. it may save you the $65 app fee or make your day, either way it's a far more authoritative answer than you will get online.

A DUI pretty much is by definition "a documented problem with alcohol" is it not?

And this is why all states should be "shall issue" and not "may issue". The interpretation of broad terms like the above will differ between counties. Any place that you must show a need for a firearm or have Sherriff approval is just a disaster for corruption/control waiting to happen. It should state a specific number of DUIs or a blanket term for crimes. Nobody here can tell him "yes" or "no" to this question because a sheriff might deny or approve him at his/her discretion based on their interpretation of this very statement of a "documented problem with alcohol".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top