JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CHL Holders Deputized After SHTF?

• Great idea!

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Not sure. Maybe.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • No, terrible idea.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • (gasp!) Guns are scary and bad. The grossly incompetent government will save you during a disaster.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • (Burp!)

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
A few years back our Sheriff floated that idea that in the wake of a major, declared disaster, that CHL holders be automatically deputized. His reasoning was they are already known not to have a criminal record, had to pass a gun safety class, and they're armed. I remember the sniveling crowd didn't like it of course. I forget what happened with the proposal.

What say you about the gentlemen's idea?

I could see it as a potential fast track to getting a badge, but to have a proclamation that all with a CHL in shtf are now in a position of power would be a terrible idea. Everyone would forge them, and if we we're truly on that type of scenario there would be zero avenues available to vet out who was legit.

The only thing that scares me is I have met some CPL holders here who I was not sure should even be allowed to own a gun. Give them all the same authority as an LEO? Some would be fine, some would be "questionable", many would be dangerous to both themselves and the public.

I've met a few over the years who hold a CHL I'm not so sure I'd like bestowed with that sort of power, carte blanche.
At one time, I believed the National guard was assigned that as one of their responsibilities. Sadly, ones I did not vote for, have done a good job to see our national guard was severely reduced, and rendered relatively impotent. Money we spent on the National Guard out performed money we spend on most of the bureaucrats.

If I had to make a snap decision after SHTF, I might trust some of you at the first handshake, because I know we are coming from the same perspective.

Taken to it's extreme, if we truly are that far gone, WHO's book are they going to enforce?

Hard Pass, but good discussion.

Bad idea IMO. i think if youre truly a good person after SHTF then thats just it. no need to automatically become law enforcement. let law enforcement be law enforcement...

depending on how hard SHTF, after enough time has passed do you think laws will even apply?

that would have to be end-times SHTF to do that before shipping in the National Guard.

I'd refuse anyway. I'm not going to be treated like a criminal for owning firearms and then expected to step up and hold everyone's hand who dont even have an extra battery for their phone.

Now if NK decides to attack and they need someone to repel invaders off my property, I'll volunteer.

automatically deputized.
having seen the semi-militarized organizational functioning of such groups, I'm in the statistical group that would prefer to contribute to a little more likelihood of community survival than the raw challenge of fighting off wolves with my bare fingernails. And 'badge' isn't the feature I'd want.

I totally agree with @DB Wesner . If the S hit the F, I'd be going home and dealing with the crap around my own house. Not directing traffic or making arrests. I am my own deputy.

Without rule of law means NO law. I'll be loading magazines as I wish I had bought more of them!

Thats not how all of that would work. In a disaster of some type, NIMS (National Incident Management System) would be activated starting with first responders and a local incident commander. In some areas, that just isn't very many people and the most qualified on scene may not be the one you want to ultimately run the show. NIMS requires a structure that includes logistics, operations, business needs, etc. The way it all works, everything is covered by "most qualified on scene".

I bet there are plenty of people on this site, alone, that could fill those roles to free up first responders and would do a better job. As the incident rolls on, people from around the region and even nationwide, would be dispatched to fill the roles. If someone more qualified shows up, they relieve the person who was doing that job.

Another thing that could be done is to assemble veterans and/or known people of trust to work under the direction of a commissioned officer. Maybe its not clearing houses, but maybe its directing traffic or holding a perimeter.

This is exactly why the left needs to drop all the stupid preconceptions about constitutional militias. Militia would be extremely helpful.

Militia would be extremely helpful.
over the decades my personal notion of 'post-SHTF' has changed considerably. In the 60s I figured I could run for the woods & live off my righteous thoughts. By the 80s the notion of a sort of 'extended camp trip' with adequate stuff & spare everything was comforting.
The last couple decades has introduced the concept that to actually ~survive~ will require adaptation, wit and endless ability to overcome the unexpected. Small groups have a higher survival probability than I do as a rugged geezer-American.

I'll be enforcing my own laws from my own property in a real shtf scenario. Don't really care who has a cpl or such, I know who I can trust and count on in times of need.

See, SHTF of all sorts is exactly why militia is a great concept. You have rank structure and roles predetermined to avoid in-fighting and all the grabasstic BS of a power grab. Training on first aid, defense, search and rescue, and all of the skills and abilities that members bring from their personal lives. Wrap all of that up and the resources of the whole group, and you'd be dumb to take on all of them.

Don't discount the many CERT teams that have ongoing training. They will be there to serve the communities they are based in. There's also Explorers and Civil Air Patrol to draw upon.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top