JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CHL Holders Deputized After SHTF?

• Great idea!

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Not sure. Maybe.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • No, terrible idea.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • (gasp!) Guns are scary and bad. The grossly incompetent government will save you during a disaster.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • (Burp!)

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
Don't discount the many CERT teams that have ongoing training. They will be there to serve the communities they are based in. There's also Explorers and Civil Air Patrol to draw upon.

Since it was mentioned at least twice, on the topic of having a pre-planned, already-trained, militia force, a book on the topic that is a great read is Prepping for a Suburban or Rural Community, by Michael Mabee. The text covers setting up a civil defense organization in a small community before a serious disaster. It is pretty decent primer that covers all the major topics (e.g., organizational structure, legal matters, logistics, record keeping, defense, armament, et al.).

A forward thinking sherriff would ask for volunteers when CHLs are renewed and provide some sort of disaster assistance training.

My understanding is that every able bodied male in a county can be 'called up' when the sheriff needs a posse.

The draft was abolished a long time ago...if one wants to volunteer,by all means do so, but try to mandate that my CHL/TLC pre-qualifies/pre-requires me to serve, nope...

A forward thinking sherriff would ask for volunteers when CHLs are renewed and provide some sort of disaster assistance training.

My understanding is that every able bodied male in a county can be 'called up' when the sheriff needs a posse.

In alot of counties, the volunteer SAR teams ran by the SO has taken the place of the posse.

See, SHTF of all sorts is exactly why militia is a great concept. You have rank structure and roles predetermined to avoid in-fighting and all the grabasstic BS of a power grab. Training on first aid, defense, search and rescue, and all of the skills and abilities that members bring from their personal lives. Wrap all of that up and the resources of the whole group, and you'd be dumb to take on all of them.

I can tell you THIS with all manner of certainty.... I'll be the mofo with working heating and A/C in his house during SHTF!

:s0140:

Horrible Idea IMHO if things truly HTF then I will be my own judge, jury and executioner! If the masses leave me alone and let my family be then they shall live to see another day!

A lot depends on 'how much S' and 'how big's the fan'; examples: the 'suddenly discovered' asteroid that just whizzed by yesterday at 46000mph.....vs Yellowstone vs a few largish quakes etc. Too many hypotheticals to make concise response to such a question.

Great idea there.

If some calamity were to occur, CHL holders may be a reasonable base to select volunteers from. If not as deputized LEO, then mayhaps as community posse under a deputy or few.

It's honestly too bad that "Militia" is near anathema, thanks in large part to mainstream media focusing on the few bad eggs and throwing them all under the same cloth.

My history may be a bit off, however I recall reading & hearing of Militia being a grand force at the beginnings of our country...with rights and liberties for all.

Somehow I have the feeling that those whom have purported all militia as dark/evil, and continue to promulgate such, do not want citizens having those liberties. Just some citizenry "elite".

This idea will really fly with the small percentage of the licensed who're LEO wannabees with their CHL's on lanyards on their necks or fake badge they have NOW!

I can see them strutting their stuff...gawd help us...

Let's do it .

However the only chl holders who should qualify are the ones who wear skin tight shirts and pants so they print so bad you can read the serial number on their weapon.
The other qualifing factor would be if you like to show and tell your ccw, especially at parties and family get togethers

Consider the Cascadia quake we're all waiting for. Here in Vancouver, we will be cut off from Portland because the I5 bridge will be in the river and the 205, if still standing, will need major repairs before it can be used. FEMA will be busy in Portland and Seattle so how much help will be forthcoming from the state or Feds?. Vancouver and all the smaller towns are going to be on their own for up to 3 weeks I'm not sure if I'm willing to abandon my home to patrol other neighborhoods as an adjunct LEO... I am willing to patrol my own neighborhood but wonder what would I do with prisoners.?Do we shoot looters?.
Theres a whole ton of questions that I need answered before I put on a badge.

What "emergency" or "disaster" are we talking about?
Some kind of BS decision by the Demorats that gun owners are bad and that they and all their guns need to be rounded up.....hell nope to that.

I live in Oregon.

Therefore, the likelihood that my neighbor is not a mouth breathing lefty is significantly less than nil.

I do not rely on the trained and authorized Police.

Why would I think my Master Gardening neighbor is going to be a better protector of me than me?

Because we CANNOT be talking about law enforcement, right?

Hell, I am generally a decent, law abiding citizen, highly competent with a firearm.

I am certainly not qualified to be a LEOlite.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top