JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Out of all of you CHL carriers out there, here is a quick question.

Who carries more than one gun at a time?

Do you also carry extra mags, or just what fits in the gun?

Do you carry a knife as a 1st deterrent, as taught in the CHL classes?

:s0155:

It is pretty rare that I carry a BUG. I have carried extra magazines, but don't do that very often either.

I don't carry a knife for several reasons. (I know that most people will disagree with me on this point, but anyway...)

Reasons I don't carry a knife:
1. A knife could be used as a deterrent, but it seems unwise. If my life was in danger, I would be justified in drawing my CCW. Drawing a knife as a deterrent when you life is in danger seems to be a good way to lose your life in a fight. If you draw the knife before you life is in danger, you are brandishing. So either way you lose.
2. I am not properly trained to use a knife. Unless I have proper training, a knife can be more of a danger to me than the BG. I would like to take OFAs "close encounters of the worst kind", but will likely take more gun oriented training first.
3. If a BG sees the knife in my pocket, he will consider me a significant threat. Any move I make could get me killed, even if I was reaching to give him my wallet. I would prefer to blend in if I ever found myself in a SHTF encounter.
4. Many knives nowaday could be considered by a LEO or DA a switchblade, even if they are only "assisted opening" knife. I would rather not be the guinea pig they test that theory out on.

Wow, was that a rambling or what.

I am interested in what other people think about the whole knife thing...

It is pretty rare that I carry a BUG. I have carried extra magazines, but don't do that very often either.

4. Many knives nowaday could be considered by a LEO or DA a switchblade, even if they are only "assisted opening" knife. I would rather not be the guinea pig they test that theory out on.

Switchblades are legal in Oregon. :D

Always carry one gun. If it is not my revolver, I carry one extra mag. I also carry a knife, but this confuses me:
I don't get how a knife is a deterrent and was never taught that it was. I carry a knife because (a) I find a pocket knife useful (b) I could run out of bullets or have my gun knocked from my hand or have a really bad jam, and (c) because a gun may not always be the best weapon for a given situation. I would never use my knife as a weapon unless I would be justified in using my gun as a weapon. I will not bring a knife to a gunfight. However, I acknowledge that my backstop may not be good, I could be in a crowd, or all I can reach is my knife. I carry a knife for those situations.

Switchblades are legal but must be carried openly, the phrasing on our licenses is concealed pistol so I wouldn't trust it to save your tail on carrying a switchblade.

Carrying a pre-gun, I'd go with pepperspray, knife is a deadly weapon same as a pistol or a flail (only the cool kids open carry medieval weapons)

I carry 1 gun and an extra mag, if I could afford it I'd have a second one, P3AT or the like.

My opinion on knife as a deterrent is that the BG may see that as an invitation to a fair fight. Where as pulling a gun, if they see that as an invite to a fair fight, they truly are a deadly threat. Besides people with proper training with a knife are likely to be able to do as much or more damage with their bare hands.

Generally speaking I only carry one gun but lately I've been carrying 2.

When I carry 2 it's normally a 1911 45 of course with 9 or 14 rounds in the gun depending on which one I carry and the Ruger LCP with 13 rounds 6 in an extra mag and 7 in the gun.

If I'm only carrying one gun I'll always have at least one extra mag and exact round count depends a lot on what I'm carrying, what I have room for, and mood.

Nope I generally don't carry a knife. This might sound silly but I tried it and didn't like it. Back when I decided I wanted to carry a knife I decided for speed of use I wanted it to be a fixed blade. I got an over-sized boot knife with a 4.25" blade 9" OAL. I found it to be to long and uncomfortable to carry daily. I might revisit this sometime though. Ideally i wanted to carry it at 9 O'clock, the goal being to draw it with my weak hand leaving the strong hand to draw the gun.

One gun with a extra mag. If I am in the woods then usually two with one being open carried. I carry a pocket knife just because it's useful for other activities and everyday tasks. NOT for a substitute of a gun. I would never even think of pulling the knife out on someone as a "deterrent".

That wasn't taught in the class I took in Utah [which also qualified me for Oregon] and in Washington we don't need to take a class. My knife is for cutting rope and twigs :)

Rarely ever carry a BUG but often carry a speed loader for an extra cylinder full.

I've been in martial arts since the mid 70's but the 3 stooges had the right idea...a good stiff jab to the eyes! I also have been trained in edged weapons[knife] and they are a frightening tool to say the least. In law enforcement we are taught that a knife any closer than 21 feet can be lethal. So I carry a knife [ Gerber Applegate/Fairbain] either of my 2 Sigs and a smile.

I don't carry a knife for several reasons. (I know that most people will disagree with me on this point, but anyway...)

Reasons I don't carry a knife:
1. A knife could be used as a deterrent, but it seems unwise. If my life was in danger, I would be justified in drawing my CCW. Drawing a knife as a deterrent when you life is in danger seems to be a good way to lose your life in a fight. If you draw the knife before you life is in danger, you are brandishing. So either way you lose.
2. I am not properly trained to use a knife. Unless I have proper training, a knife can be more of a danger to me than the BG. I would like to take OFAs "close encounters of the worst kind", but will likely take more gun oriented training first.
3. If a BG sees the knife in my pocket, he will consider me a significant threat. Any move I make could get me killed, even if I was reaching to give him my wallet. I would prefer to blend in if I ever found myself in a SHTF encounter.

Wow, was that a rambling or what.

I have carried a knife religiously for the past 7 or 8 years. Not as a defensive weapon, but as a tool. It is such a handy thing to have on you. My pocket knife saved my *** big time out on the columbia river. I was heading out for a day of fun on the boat. I had one of those big inflatable tubes strapped down to the engine hatch with the tow rope. I ended up with a engine fire rite there in the middle of the columbia. My pocket knife allowed me to cut the ropes holding down the water toy so I could get a fire extinguisher in there as fast as possible. I like my knife. And you can't clean your finger nails with a pistol.:D

I never carry a second gun. Rarely do I carry a second mag, I hope I never have to expend 9 rounds of 45ACP! The one item I always carry is tatical flashlight...

One Kel Tec PF-9, one extra mag. I need to have my shirt tucked in most of the time, and I have no idea how to get comfortable and well concealed (indoors, no jacket) with a bigger gun. I don't care for baggy pants and shirts, just for me.

I carried a .380 until I found the PF-9.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top