JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Out of all of you CHL carriers out there, here is a quick question.

Who carries more than one gun at a time?

Do you also carry extra mags, or just what fits in the gun?

Do you carry a knife as a 1st deterrent, as taught in the CHL classes?

:s0155:

It is pretty rare that I carry a BUG. I have carried extra magazines, but don't do that very often either.

I don't carry a knife for several reasons. (I know that most people will disagree with me on this point, but anyway...)

Reasons I don't carry a knife:
1. A knife could be used as a deterrent, but it seems unwise. If my life was in danger, I would be justified in drawing my CCW. Drawing a knife as a deterrent when you life is in danger seems to be a good way to lose your life in a fight. If you draw the knife before you life is in danger, you are brandishing. So either way you lose.
2. I am not properly trained to use a knife. Unless I have proper training, a knife can be more of a danger to me than the BG. I would like to take OFAs "close encounters of the worst kind", but will likely take more gun oriented training first.
3. If a BG sees the knife in my pocket, he will consider me a significant threat. Any move I make could get me killed, even if I was reaching to give him my wallet. I would prefer to blend in if I ever found myself in a SHTF encounter.
4. Many knives nowaday could be considered by a LEO or DA a switchblade, even if they are only "assisted opening" knife. I would rather not be the guinea pig they test that theory out on.

Wow, was that a rambling or what.

I am interested in what other people think about the whole knife thing...

It is pretty rare that I carry a BUG. I have carried extra magazines, but don't do that very often either.

4. Many knives nowaday could be considered by a LEO or DA a switchblade, even if they are only "assisted opening" knife. I would rather not be the guinea pig they test that theory out on.

Switchblades are legal in Oregon. :D

Always carry one gun. If it is not my revolver, I carry one extra mag. I also carry a knife, but this confuses me:
I don't get how a knife is a deterrent and was never taught that it was. I carry a knife because (a) I find a pocket knife useful (b) I could run out of bullets or have my gun knocked from my hand or have a really bad jam, and (c) because a gun may not always be the best weapon for a given situation. I would never use my knife as a weapon unless I would be justified in using my gun as a weapon. I will not bring a knife to a gunfight. However, I acknowledge that my backstop may not be good, I could be in a crowd, or all I can reach is my knife. I carry a knife for those situations.

Switchblades are legal but must be carried openly, the phrasing on our licenses is concealed pistol so I wouldn't trust it to save your tail on carrying a switchblade.

Carrying a pre-gun, I'd go with pepperspray, knife is a deadly weapon same as a pistol or a flail (only the cool kids open carry medieval weapons)

I carry 1 gun and an extra mag, if I could afford it I'd have a second one, P3AT or the like.

My opinion on knife as a deterrent is that the BG may see that as an invitation to a fair fight. Where as pulling a gun, if they see that as an invite to a fair fight, they truly are a deadly threat. Besides people with proper training with a knife are likely to be able to do as much or more damage with their bare hands.

Generally speaking I only carry one gun but lately I've been carrying 2.

When I carry 2 it's normally a 1911 45 of course with 9 or 14 rounds in the gun depending on which one I carry and the Ruger LCP with 13 rounds 6 in an extra mag and 7 in the gun.

If I'm only carrying one gun I'll always have at least one extra mag and exact round count depends a lot on what I'm carrying, what I have room for, and mood.

Nope I generally don't carry a knife. This might sound silly but I tried it and didn't like it. Back when I decided I wanted to carry a knife I decided for speed of use I wanted it to be a fixed blade. I got an over-sized boot knife with a 4.25" blade 9" OAL. I found it to be to long and uncomfortable to carry daily. I might revisit this sometime though. Ideally i wanted to carry it at 9 O'clock, the goal being to draw it with my weak hand leaving the strong hand to draw the gun.

One gun with a extra mag. If I am in the woods then usually two with one being open carried. I carry a pocket knife just because it's useful for other activities and everyday tasks. NOT for a substitute of a gun. I would never even think of pulling the knife out on someone as a "deterrent".

That wasn't taught in the class I took in Utah [which also qualified me for Oregon] and in Washington we don't need to take a class. My knife is for cutting rope and twigs :)

Rarely ever carry a BUG but often carry a speed loader for an extra cylinder full.

I've been in martial arts since the mid 70's but the 3 stooges had the right idea...a good stiff jab to the eyes! I also have been trained in edged weapons[knife] and they are a frightening tool to say the least. In law enforcement we are taught that a knife any closer than 21 feet can be lethal. So I carry a knife [ Gerber Applegate/Fairbain] either of my 2 Sigs and a smile.

I don't carry a knife for several reasons. (I know that most people will disagree with me on this point, but anyway...)

Reasons I don't carry a knife:
1. A knife could be used as a deterrent, but it seems unwise. If my life was in danger, I would be justified in drawing my CCW. Drawing a knife as a deterrent when you life is in danger seems to be a good way to lose your life in a fight. If you draw the knife before you life is in danger, you are brandishing. So either way you lose.
2. I am not properly trained to use a knife. Unless I have proper training, a knife can be more of a danger to me than the BG. I would like to take OFAs "close encounters of the worst kind", but will likely take more gun oriented training first.
3. If a BG sees the knife in my pocket, he will consider me a significant threat. Any move I make could get me killed, even if I was reaching to give him my wallet. I would prefer to blend in if I ever found myself in a SHTF encounter.

Wow, was that a rambling or what.

I have carried a knife religiously for the past 7 or 8 years. Not as a defensive weapon, but as a tool. It is such a handy thing to have on you. My pocket knife saved my *** big time out on the columbia river. I was heading out for a day of fun on the boat. I had one of those big inflatable tubes strapped down to the engine hatch with the tow rope. I ended up with a engine fire rite there in the middle of the columbia. My pocket knife allowed me to cut the ropes holding down the water toy so I could get a fire extinguisher in there as fast as possible. I like my knife. And you can't clean your finger nails with a pistol.:D

I never carry a second gun. Rarely do I carry a second mag, I hope I never have to expend 9 rounds of 45ACP! The one item I always carry is tatical flashlight...

One Kel Tec PF-9, one extra mag. I need to have my shirt tucked in most of the time, and I have no idea how to get comfortable and well concealed (indoors, no jacket) with a bigger gun. I don't care for baggy pants and shirts, just for me.

I carried a .380 until I found the PF-9.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top