Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CHL Carriers - How Many Guns?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jkraig, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jkraig

jkraig West Linn, Oregon New Member

Out of all of you CHL carriers out there, here is a quick question.

Who carries more than one gun at a time?

Do you also carry extra mags, or just what fits in the gun?

Do you carry a knife as a 1st deterrent, as taught in the CHL classes?

:thumbup:

2. wavo

wavo Portland Member

I carry two fists, elbows and knees, a knife and a gun. :)

Is that overkill? :laugh:

3. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

most days 1 gun and a total of 3 mags. the mags are 7 rounds 9mm +P. I will carry a second gun some days, just depends on where i am going and how i feel that day. But i am never with out 1 gun.

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

It is pretty rare that I carry a BUG. I have carried extra magazines, but don't do that very often either.

I don't carry a knife for several reasons. (I know that most people will disagree with me on this point, but anyway...)

Reasons I don't carry a knife:
    1. A knife could be used as a deterrent, but it seems unwise. If my life was in danger, I would be justified in drawing my CCW. Drawing a knife as a deterrent when you life is in danger seems to be a good way to lose your life in a fight. If you draw the knife before you life is in danger, you are brandishing. So either way you lose.
    2. I am not properly trained to use a knife. Unless I have proper training, a knife can be more of a danger to me than the BG. I would like to take OFAs "close encounters of the worst kind", but will likely take more gun oriented training first.
    3. If a BG sees the knife in my pocket, he will consider me a significant threat. Any move I make could get me killed, even if I was reaching to give him my wallet. I would prefer to blend in if I ever found myself in a SHTF encounter.
    4. Many knives nowaday could be considered by a LEO or DA a switchblade, even if they are only "assisted opening" knife. I would rather not be the guinea pig they test that theory out on.

Wow, was that a rambling or what.

I am interested in what other people think about the whole knife thing...

5. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Switchblades are legal in Oregon. :D

6. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

Always carry one gun. If it is not my revolver, I carry one extra mag. I also carry a knife, but this confuses me:
    I don't get how a knife is a deterrent and was never taught that it was. I carry a knife because (a) I find a pocket knife useful (b) I could run out of bullets or have my gun knocked from my hand or have a really bad jam, and (c) because a gun may not always be the best weapon for a given situation. I would never use my knife as a weapon unless I would be justified in using my gun as a weapon. I will not bring a knife to a gunfight. However, I acknowledge that my backstop may not be good, I could be in a crowd, or all I can reach is my knife. I carry a knife for those situations.

7. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

Switchblades are legal but must be carried openly, the phrasing on our licenses is concealed pistol so I wouldn't trust it to save your tail on carrying a switchblade.

Carrying a pre-gun, I'd go with pepperspray, knife is a deadly weapon same as a pistol or a flail (only the cool kids open carry medieval weapons)

I carry 1 gun and an extra mag, if I could afford it I'd have a second one, P3AT or the like.

8. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

My opinion on knife as a deterrent is that the BG may see that as an invitation to a fair fight. Where as pulling a gun, if they see that as an invite to a fair fight, they truly are a deadly threat. Besides people with proper training with a knife are likely to be able to do as much or more damage with their bare hands.

9. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Generally speaking I only carry one gun but lately I've been carrying 2.

When I carry 2 it's normally a 1911 45 of course with 9 or 14 rounds in the gun depending on which one I carry and the Ruger LCP with 13 rounds 6 in an extra mag and 7 in the gun.

If I'm only carrying one gun I'll always have at least one extra mag and exact round count depends a lot on what I'm carrying, what I have room for, and mood.

Nope I generally don't carry a knife. This might sound silly but I tried it and didn't like it. Back when I decided I wanted to carry a knife I decided for speed of use I wanted it to be a fixed blade. I got an over-sized boot knife with a 4.25" blade 9" OAL. I found it to be to long and uncomfortable to carry daily. I might revisit this sometime though. Ideally i wanted to carry it at 9 O'clock, the goal being to draw it with my weak hand leaving the strong hand to draw the gun.

10. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

One gun with a extra mag. If I am in the woods then usually two with one being open carried. I carry a pocket knife just because it's useful for other activities and everyday tasks. NOT for a substitute of a gun. I would never even think of pulling the knife out on someone as a "deterrent".

11. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

That wasn't taught in the class I took in Utah [which also qualified me for Oregon] and in Washington we don't need to take a class. My knife is for cutting rope and twigs :)

Rarely ever carry a BUG but often carry a speed loader for an extra cylinder full.

12. madderg

madderg Salem oregon Member

I've been in martial arts since the mid 70's but the 3 stooges had the right idea...a good stiff jab to the eyes! I also have been trained in edged weapons[knife] and they are a frightening tool to say the least. In law enforcement we are taught that a knife any closer than 21 feet can be lethal. So I carry a knife [ Gerber Applegate/Fairbain] either of my 2 Sigs and a smile.

13. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

I have carried a knife religiously for the past 7 or 8 years. Not as a defensive weapon, but as a tool. It is such a handy thing to have on you. My pocket knife saved my *** big time out on the columbia river. I was heading out for a day of fun on the boat. I had one of those big inflatable tubes strapped down to the engine hatch with the tow rope. I ended up with a engine fire rite there in the middle of the columbia. My pocket knife allowed me to cut the ropes holding down the water toy so I could get a fire extinguisher in there as fast as possible. I like my knife. And you can't clean your finger nails with a pistol.:D

14. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I carry what I think I need. That varies with each journey

jj

15. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I never carry a second gun. Rarely do I carry a second mag, I hope I never have to expend 9 rounds of 45ACP! The one item I always carry is tatical flashlight...

16. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

One Kel Tec PF-9, one extra mag. I need to have my shirt tucked in most of the time, and I have no idea how to get comfortable and well concealed (indoors, no jacket) with a bigger gun. I don't care for baggy pants and shirts, just for me.

I carried a .380 until I found the PF-9.

$.02

17. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

I rarely carry a backup gun. I almost never carry spare magazines. One gun is enough for me. I have a folding knife everyday of the year.

18. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

19. usfatboy01

usfatboy01 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

2 guns, Kahr P45+1 extra mag, .32 seecamp no extra mag and a knife as the final ditch back-up or to use to disarm my attacker. Quick cut alone the hand area will get them thinking, F**k that hurts!!!

20. milwaukieman

milwaukieman SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Glock 32 with one reload + S.W. 642 most of the time. The 642 goes in an ankle holster, which is very comfortable.