JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Taking my class next week with Threat Dynamics.
I was reading the thread on "where did you get your permit/how long did it take" and I noticed a lot of comments stating things such as "I've heard _____ county is the best, I should go there".
My question is, do I have to apply with the sherriff in my county? (Multnomah) and if not, where is best?
If so, how are the turnaround times for Multnomah?

Hey all,

Taking my class next week with Threat Dynamics.
I was reading the thread on "where did you get your permit/how long did it take" and I noticed a lot of comments stating things such as "I've heard _____ county is the best, I should go there".
My question is, do I have to apply with the sherriff in my county? (Multnomah) and if not, where is best?
If so, how are the turnaround times for Multnomah?

Yes, Oregon residents must apply in the county that they reside in. Out of state applicants may apply in any county within the State, and that was the context of those "best counties to apply in".

Hope that helps! :s0155:

I think mine took about 30 days from application. Don't recall exactly. I do remember feeling like I was paying to do something I should already be allowed to, though.
Is that including sending in the app and getting back your appointment date + recieving the license?
You tell em. I feel the same.

As an out-of-stater, not sure if that makes a difference, it was about 5 weeks after sending in the app. to MCSO.
There's 2 waiting periods.

Send in app and wait for appointment to be scheduled
Go to appointment for fingerprinting, etc. and wait for permit to arrive in mail

From what I understand, Multnomah Co. really drags out the process. Not surprised. In Clackamas Co. I took my class on a Thursday, made an appointment with the county Sheriff's office on Saturday for the upcoming Tuesday. Walked out the door with my CHL in about 15 minutes.

In Multnomah County the process from getting the license, and taking a picture, to finally receiving your CHL will take about 2 months. Even renewing with take 45 days for the new CHL to get to you. I just renewed, and was told not to carry if my existing expired before the new CHL arrived.
So be sure to get into the office about 2 months prior to renewal, or end up as I am, unable to carry until it arrives. And to make matters even worse! Multnomah County decided in 2013 to not send out renewal notices! So it can lapse without a notice, and we have to keep an eye on the date to ensure we don't lapse. The good news is (if there is any) Multnomah County doesn't care how long the CHL has lapsed. If you ever had one you can always renew it. Saw a guy there whose last renewal was 1995 and they issued him another.

In Multnomah County the process from getting the license, and taking a picture, to finally receiving your CHL will take about 2 months. Even renewing with take 45 days for the new CHL to get to you. I just renewed, and was told not to carry if my existing expired before the new CHL arrived.
So be sure to get into the office about 2 months prior to renewal, or end up as I am, unable to carry until it arrives. And to make matters even worse! Multnomah County decided in 2013 to not send out renewal notices! So it can lapse without a notice, and we have to keep an eye on the date to ensure we don't lapse. The good news is (if there is any) Multnomah County doesn't care how long the CHL has lapsed. If you ever had one you can always renew it. Saw a guy there whose last renewal was 1995 and they issued him another.
Your receipt for renewal should be good until you get your new one.

Your receipt for renewal should be good until you get your new one.

No. It states specifically on the receipt:
"This is a receipt for payment only. It i not authorization to carry concealed."

And the guy handed me the receipt and reiterated it wasn't legal to carry with just the receipt.

No. It states specifically on the receipt:
"This is a receipt for payment only. It i not authorization to carry concealed."

And the guy handed me the receipt and reiterated it wasn't legal to carry with just the receipt.
Well our my Co said different ~~ that t was good until I got my new one. Now there is a limit on how far it was expired ~ if it was.

When I first got my CHL in the late 1980's they specifically told me the receipt was good for my carry permit until the permit was sent. But times have changed, and of course counties have each got their own rules. Many counties in Oregon make up the new license (or renewal) as you wait, and no receipt is even issued. But obviously Multnomah County doesn't and since they specify on the receipt that it does not serve as a carry permit, it wont work. If my permit expires before the replacement gets here I'll be stuck without a carry guun for awhile.
But they did tell me there's no limit how long a permit can be expired without issuing a new one. The fella ahead of me was expired in 1995, and they simply took his money and will send him a new CHL.

From what I understand, Multnomah Co. really drags out the process. Not surprised. In Clackamas Co. I took my class on a Thursday, made an appointment with the county Sheriff's office on Saturday for the upcoming Tuesday. Walked out the door with my CHL in about 15 minutes.

My experience was very similar - took an online class and filled out the application online. Reserved my appointment for two days later, I got there early so they took me right in and less than 10 minutes later chad my permit. BIG TIME Kudos to the Clackamas County Sherriff and his staff!

Sounds like it would be quicker to move from Multnomah County to Clackamas County including the time it takes to establish residency. WHo wants any of their tax money to go to Multnomah Co anyway?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top