JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Policy Change To Chicago 911 Dispatch: Cops Will Only Report In-Person To Certain Crime Scenes

Chicago, IL – As of Sunday, 911 Chicago dispatch will no longer be directing officers to every scene of a crime. Instead, officers will be assigned to “light duty” by taking reports over the phone for crimes like vehicle theft, garage burglaries, bad checks, and situations of lewd or obscene calls where the victim is not in immediate danger. Nearly 74,000 reports were taken last year in this manner.
This policy eliminates in-person police responses to various non-life threatening crime scenes. Essentially, unless there is an urgent need for medical attention or imminent danger present, don’t expect an offer to arrive in-person to assist.

First they take away the guns then they take away the cops, sounds like a great place to live. I think next we evacuate the general public, build a giant wall around it and sponsor a giant cage match with whoever's left inside. Worldwide pay per view sales would probably wipe out the national debt.

I'm pretty sure The Republic of Portland has been this way for a while. The Portland LEOs didn't come to a traffic accident I was in a few years ago on swan Island, and I have buddy's that have told me they have been burgerized and had to do the reports over the phone.

I think that is becoming the standard everywhere. My car was broken into twice in 2010. The first time was in broad daylight on the campus of the local community college. The second was in my driveway Halloween night. The cops showed up the first time in force, likely because it is the community college and there had been a rash of car prowls. The second time they took my report over the phone and no one every showed up. I got the impression that they were more concerned with the break ins at the $300,000+ homes less than two miles away than they were with the crime that occurred at my $900 month townhouse. The third time I called for assistance with a crime was when a neighbor's dog was chasing, barking and growling at my 5 year old who was just outside our front door headed towards the car with my wife. I called the numbers on animal control's website, 911 and at least one other number. I never did get a call back or a visit. For all I know they never came out and investigated the incident.

Ultimately, as budgets decrease, this will be the norm. If you live in a county area it will be even worse since, in Oregon, patrol is not a requirement for the sheriff.

What we know:

It's gangs battling over drug dealing turf that's primarily fueling the killings.

The Feds funneled guns into Chicago's gangs through a (yet another) straw purchase program.

The Feds know who these gang members are.

Now Chicago say's they are cracking down on violent crime.

What we don't know:

Is this just for show, allowing the drug gangs to make their money?

If they are cracking down on the gangs are they going after all the gangs or just the unfavored ones? Remember the excuse given for the F@F straw purchase program was to pit the cartels against each other.

Are the gangs paying off the Chicago pols like they did in Capones
day?

If the Chicago pols are bought off is the media in on it or is it that they just reflexively won't report anything that makes a D look bad?

Is there a bidding war going on between the gangs? If so we know whose doors will get busted down.

Trust the cops they said...
You dont need guns they said...

Ok so let me get this straight. I can have my car "stolen" or house "broken into" and only have to talk to the cops on the phone?! I just died and went to insurance fraud heaven! :s0155:

Trust the cops they said...
You dont need guns they said...

Ok so let me get this straight. I can have my car "stolen" or house "broken into" and only have to talk to the cops on the phone?! I just died and went to insurance fraud heaven! :s0155:

You're spot on with that. Just another way to further promote crime and further screw the good guys. I don't know what imaginary world these people live in, but the criminals must just sit back and laugh at how easy things are becoming. Chicago is a complete dump and will continue to be so. The sheeple in that city will continue to believe that more and more gun control and regulation is needed and the place will become more and more dangerous. Sounds like corruption to me.

On more than one occasion I've had friends call in to report pulling a handgun to drive off multiple attackers (no shots fired) and the police didn't even want to file a report over the phone. Just "We'll have a car drive by if it's slow. You can come by the station tomorrow if you want to file a report on your own." One of these instances were after the police were called multiple times to ask for help dealing with the pack of kids in the parking lot screaming threats through the window and waving baseball bats menacingly. Police never did show up.

RoneKiln: "One of these instances were after the police were called multiple times to ask for help dealing with the pack of kids in the parking lot screaming threats through the window and waving baseball bats menacingly. Police never did show up."

Have you considered plunging fire with Wrist Rockets?

The police are under NO obligation to respond at all....

489 U.S. 189 DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services
"...nothing in the language of the Due Process Clause itself requires the State to protect the life, liberty, and property of its citizens against invasion by private actors. The Clause is phrased as a limitation on the State's power to act, not as a guarantee of certain minimal levels of safety and security."

545 U.S. 748 CASTLE ROCK V. GONZALES "In light of today's decision and that in DeShaney, the benefit that a third party may receive from having someone else arrested for a crime generally does not trigger protections under the Due Process Clause, neither in its procedural nor in its "substantive" manifestations."

Although it would be nice if someone responded when you call 911, they don't have to do so, and can't be held responsible if they don't.

One of the reasons we should all carry, all the time.

I'd rather the police respond in force to violent crimes and have minor property crimes handled as a non emergency. Seems like a reasonable way to prioritize limited resources.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top