JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You said Cheap-O. New or used, the Mossberg combo with the long and short barrels is hard to beat for economical versatility - and fun.

mossberg shorty.JPG

In a box in the gun room with the original fore end, long barrel and a sling that hooks to a swivel I mounted on the feeder spring cap. But I shoot clays with it like this.

Last Edited:
My only complaint with Mossberg is their finish leaves something to be desired. I owned one once. It was properly stored, and is the only gun I've ever had rust in the safe. I swear the mag tube is cheap spray paint.

My only complaint with Mossberg is their finish leaves something to be desired. I owned one once. It was properly stored, and is the only gun I've ever had rust in the safe. I swear the mag tube is cheap spray paint.

Interesting. I've got 2 Mossbergs, a 500 and 590A1, never seen a spot of rust on either one after years of use and in the safe.

That has not been my experience! Perhaps a factory screw up?

As for "random acts of rust" on certain guns ...
My first gun safe the foam dividers "ate" the bluing off two if my rifles.
I had a nice "weak area" of blue mark on one and one had the bare metal showing with a hint of rust forming. :eek:

Having worked in a pawn shop for a few years , I got to see many guns and many , many of the Mossberg 500 series.
I do remember seeing some with a finish much like what is seen on WWII English firearms.
Almost a baked on enamel "blue" on the barrel and magazine tube on various Mossbergs.
When worn , these had a flaked off or faded appearance ...much like old paint
Maybe different eras or series of shotguns within the 500 series had different finishes?

Note to all :
The above is not to say that Mossberg 500 series Shotguns are bad.
The 500 series is a great knock around gun that works well.
Andy

Last Edited:
Another thought about the Mossberg 500 series ( after the coffee kicked in :D)
Really check out the shotgun if you are buying used.
Where I live many 500 owners treat their gun as a "cheap , beater gun " and subject it to loads of unneeded abuse.
Andy

Have you ever bought a shotgun barrel first? o_O

The Maverick 88 by Mossberg is essentially a model 500 with a cross bolt safety in the guard ahead of the trigger instead of a thumb safety on top of receiver. As the economy version, the barrel is not as well finished, however the receiver anodizing appears on par with the higher dollar model 500. The Maverick is still availble under 200 dollars new. I set up one after first aquiring a discontinued Mossberg 500 barrel. The 18.5 inch heavy contour barrel was already set up for accu-choke, (winchoke), tubes. This Maverick 88 has worked flawlessly with either 28 inch field barrel or the M-500 HC/choke tube barrel and has even smoothed up nicely with use, (thank you Slip 2000 EWL 30). Currently it is set up with a 1960's vintage, (close out bin), slightly shorter, wood stock, sling swivels and a "mountain" sling to offset the original corn cob shaped classic polymer forend.

Da' Frankengun! :eek:

With the long accu-choke field barrel installed, this easy to field strip shotgun, has become my favored repeater to use with Black Powder card and fiber wad dove loads; put up in Federal once fired paper hulls!

Whats not to like - thunderous noise, clouds of white smoke and birds brought to bag! And, when other hunters ask, I get to mutter something about old paper shells! :D

Last Edited:
From personal experience, the Mossie 500 makes a decent shottie... used one for years as a patrol shotgun w/ extended mag, and it followed me home when I retired. Fired a variety of shells thru it and it was the department "qualification" weapon on the shotgun range. I prefer it over the 870 only because of the "under thumb" receiver location of the safety. Granted, these days it's as "retired" as myself but stands ready next to my bed, good to go.
I don't quite follow the negative comments about the Rem 870... got one built for patrol work with synthetic stock, tritium sights, extended mag tube and sling. It too has been a faithful companion over the years on night patrols and has functioned as advertised with no issues. Only complaint has been the position of the safety on the trigger-guard, which requires an "extendo-thumb" to operate without changing my grip on the firearm. My personal hunting shotgun for years has been an 870 with a long vent-rib barrel and nice wood, which has worked with no issues for many decades...

Mossberg 500 18in for $75 at a yardsale several years ago. Finish was garbage, wood was garbage but the action was nice.

Did a home job camo on it and sanded the stocks.

You can get a good deal on the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 new still. I hear Rem's quality is garbage now however.

My 870 is from 1992, nice shooter and with the 28in barrel it would be my bird gun when I start again.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top