JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a cheap multi-use shotgun. It will probably spend most it's life in a bedroom closet. I also would like to have the versatility to hunt birds with it if I am ever in a pinch for a better suited gun ( I have bird hunting guns, just about 500 miles away). The best option I have found is the Mossberg 500 3 in 1:

Mossberg Model 500 12GA "3 In 1" Home Defense Set W/2 Barrels & Pistol Grip Kit - Impact Guns

it has the 28 and 18.5 inch barrel. Anybody have any experience with the 500 series they care to share? Or a better option?

I've had mine for about 15 years. Bought it for If I remember right 250. Only shot it maybe 5 times. Just hangs around just incase.
20170217_155019.jpg

You are on the right track. The 500 is a very reliable gun. A friend of mine has the 3 in 1 and loves it.

I have to ask this. Are you a Rutger Hauer fan? Because
Hobo_with_a_Shotgun_DVD_3D_E.jpg
Rutger uses a Remington 870, which is also a good, inexpensive gun. But it's not a 3 in 1.

Check out pawn shops and gun stores for used guns.

I found a dandy piece with an adjustable choke for $100 made by High Standard in 1952 and marketed by JC Higgins. Just do a little research and you can find gold in all the sand.

I wouldn't let go of that shotgun for pretty much anything and it's a tank that runs like a race gun.

I am in the market for a cheap multi-use shotgun. It will probably spend most it's life in a bedroom closet. I also would like to have the versatility to hunt birds with it if I am ever in a pinch for a better suited gun ( I have bird hunting guns, just about 500 miles away). The best option I have found is the Mossberg 500 3 in 1:

Mossberg Model 500 12GA "3 In 1" Home Defense Set W/2 Barrels & Pistol Grip Kit - Impact Guns

it has the 28 and 18.5 inch barrel. Anybody have any experience with the 500 series they care to share? Or a better option?

I have the same Mossberg 'kit', except with a wood stock and foregrip. I really like it. For the money, it's a great shotgun - very reliable. I've used it to shoot trap with the longer barrel and I typically keep the 18" barrel attached at home in the event I wanted to use it for self defense (though my home defense shotgun of choice is currently a Mossberg 590A1). I haven't ever mounted the pistol grip, don't have any interest in that on my shotgun. I think you would be pleased with it.

Check out pawn shops and gun stores for used guns.

I found a dandy piece with an adjustable choke for $100 made by High Standard in 1952 and marketed by JC Higgins. Just do a little research and you can find gold in all the sand.

I wouldn't let go of that shotgun for pretty much anything and it's a tank that runs like a race gun.
This is a great point. There are probably more bargains on used 12 gauge shotguns out there than any other firearm. Some of the older ones are remarkably well made.

The Mossberg 500 is really a great shotgun that has made a name for itself. I'll also second what Joe said about going to a pawn shop or gunshop. The next best thing when I think cheap pump shotgun is the Winchester 1200. There's also the pump that bi-mart was selling that looked like a Remington 870. It was ridiculously inexpensive and worked reasonably well. I believe that was a New England firearms Pardner and was about $160.00.

You are on the right track. The 500 is a very reliable gun. A friend of mine has the 3 in 1 and loves it.

I have to ask this. Are you a Rutger Hauer fan? Because
View attachment 345899
Rutger uses a Remington 870, which is also a good, inexpensive gun. But it's not a 3 in 1.

^Some pretty good B movie entertainment. I think I just figured out what my profile pic is going to be...

And the movie is from around 2010. I'd pay $50 for a used 870 just to bury it in the yard. :D (I don't bury stuff in my yard - too scared I'll get on trouble if the power company digs it up or something.)
I'd bury it in my gun safe ;) cheap pump action shotguns are about my favorite thing in the world.

The Mossberg 500 series are extremely reliable, IMHO. I have a very old one, barrel cut to 18.250," my moms old HD/riot gun. It's had thousands of rounds through it. Every thing from ducks/geese to trap and HD to plinking!
In 1988 I bought my son a Mossberg combo set. A 28" barrel with screw in chokes and a 20," sighted "deer" barrel (smooth bore).
He's killed a lot of waterfowl with that gun, and prepared to defend his home and family for the last 20-25yrs. Always reliable guns!:)

Last Edited:
Matt does some great videos.

The Remington Model 10 ejected from the bottom too. The action was kind of delicate looking and really hard to reassemble.
My dad has one that I remember from when i was younger, but he denies still having it because he knows I want it. (Saw it in the back of his safe 2 yrs ago.)I forgot how fun it was to shoot till Demo Ranch posted this.

Speaking of "cheap" shotguns. I only paid $160.00 locally for my left hand 870 wingmaster:

002-28.jpg

After I sold the wood for $130.00, I was into it for $30.00 and then put the camo stocks on to mess with the guys at the trap club....:p. Those cost $50.00, so now I'm into the shotgun for $80.00...;) After winning $90.00 at the father son/fathers day shoot, well you get the picture...:oops: I'm like Joe13 and his shotgun. I would not trade or sell this one for anything.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews