Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by achenbackd31, May 15, 2010.
Does anyone know where to get bulk 22 caliber bullets without a cannelure?
Midway has several types listed here:
Just for safety's sake, what are you going to shoot them in? You do know that .223/5.56 aren't 22 caliber, for instance, right? Very few guns are 22 caliber.
You can get copper plated lead bullets without cannelures in many calibers, depending on what you're trying to do. ??
Similar thread in classifieds merged into this one.
And yes, I'm curious as to the reason you are looking for .22LR without a cannelure as well? Feed issues in your particular beast or?? :huh:
ok then .224 dia if you all really need me to be that specific. kinda thought most people that would have posted would know what i meant. guess not
I took it that he wanted bullets, not 22lr ammo?? Still can't figure out what for...
Oops - posted while OP was posting...
Widener's or you could try Pat's reloading. Do think these guy's reload .22LR ?
i reload for my .223 and my 22-250. they are 22 caliber bullets. the diameter of the bullet is .224. and yes a 22lr is a 22 caliber bullet but not as big a grain bullet. im looking for 40 to 60 grain 22caliber bullets with out cannilure.
Gunner if you don't know what your talking about or reading DON'T post on the thread!!
Yep, good catch on the .22 caliber Savage at .228. :thumbup:
Yep, two guys who really have some experience weighed in with (confused due to lack of info) questions, and two guys who can't help at all decided to blow us off.
The guy, for obvious reasons, still doesn't have an answer to his question.
I find myself checking in and trying to help less and less...
Have a great day!!
While we are talking proper app's about .22 use, watch the Early .22 Hornet at .223 instead of .224 as all later chamberings are.
Wouldn't take time to mention this, but there is a lot of re-loading equipment being handed down, along with the rifles, and a newbie could accidently try stuffing a .224 down a .223 barrel. You will get about 5000 F.P.S. if the gun (and you) survive. If you get a chance to load with Dad, or Grandpa, DO IT, even if you just talk about it. you will learn things not in the books, 75% of which may be quite valuable. (hate to tell you about the other 25%, you sort it out,lol)
Have a Great week, and help me pray for at least a little sun. Forecast don't look good.
My mistake. When I see "cheap" and "22 caliber bullets" in the same sentence I generally assume it to mean 22LR rimfire since most of the non-firearms people I know ONLY know of 22LR when it comes to "22 bullets".
I suppose the "bullets" part should have clued me in that you meant BULLETS and not cartridges, but then again, as others have said there are several types of 22 "caliber" bullets out there and I/we would need more specifics as to which "cartridges" you were planning to load them in. :dunno:
I have seen bulk .224 dia 22 caliber bullets availabel from Grafs and Wideners. depending on what you want, they have the best prices for the bulk purchases.
Norwester brings up a good point about the old .223 bore diameter of some of the early Hornet rifles, but goes a bit far with the 5000fps/surviving scenario.
.224 bullets can be loaded and fired safely in an old Hornet in good shape with the .223 bore diameter. Very often greater accuracy can be found doing this, especially if the bore is well-used.
I own an original Savage 23D which falls into this .223 category of bore size. Few may know that although Winchester introduced the .22 Hornet as a factory round, they were not quite as fast with rifle production as Savage and the 23D was the first rifle in this caliber. The Winchester Hornet was about 9 months behind the 23D.
I researched this .223/224 scenario thoroughly before I tried .224 bullets in my old 23D, and started mild and worked up carefully with the chronograph.
The result is a 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tip (.224 diameter) going exactly as fast as it should in a Hornet, and my Savage 23D with what I would describe as a damaged bore (visible pitting in one section of it) is one of the most accurate guns I own; even beating out fat-barrelled guns of much newer manufacture.