JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what the hell happened in 2013? 9mm and 22LR were nowhere to be seen..for months. Anyone have the real scoop?
Well it was another panic shortage. This has been explained many times but, most of those who get caught without don't want to hear it. When a panic run starts the companies making the stuff can not flip a switch and double the output. There is no such thing in manufacturing. So the plants that make it will go full tilt to try to catch up but a good panic begins to feed on itself. The people making the ammo can't build more plant capacity because this is a HUGE outlay of cash. If they did build out to double the output the market would soon flood, people would stop buying, then the new extra would sit idle. The companies get charged taxes on the idle equipment. Those extra employee's they hired to run the place are now laid off. All this costs the company big time. So the companies run full tilt till they catch up. Now at every panic shortage a LOT of people don't want to hear this so they make up things to blame. It really is very simple, many just do not want to hear the truth so they find someone to blame. The one constant? Most who go through a panic shortage then do nothing when the shelves fill back up again. :s0092:

Right, makes sense. But what triggered the panic? I had other things going on in my life at the time and wasn't paying much attention to the news or gun issues. 2013 is when I decided to buy another gun after many years, and went with a G22 because 9mm had vanished. .40 was everywhere. You know what caused the panic?

Right, makes sense. But what triggered the panic? I had other things going on in my life at the time and wasn't paying much attention to the news or gun issues. 2013 is when I decided to buy another gun after many years, and went with a G22 because 9mm had vanished. .40 was everywhere. You know what caused the panic?
I can't remember anymore what set off each one. I know elections often get it started. When Obama won there was one, when he won again I think it set one off. When Trump won he was thought to be a joke and everyone expected Hillary to win. So as soon as he won the market crashed. Nice AR's were selling for less than $500, you could get an AR that was not bad for $300. Some nice 1911's were selling for less than I paid for mine 15 years earlier. I have seen so many of these panics now I can no longer remember what set each one off. I am sure someone probably kept better track. I did not pay a lot of attention because I learned long before the net to not get caught. Always kept plenty of supplies to roll and when they let us mortals start to order ammo started setting aside factory too. The one time .22 ammo was really hard to get for a year or more. That was the worst one I had seen to that point. It made me double the amount of that I keep on hand. Several years ago we moved and movers asked to not give them ammo or guns. So one kid was helping me and when we were packing out cases of ammo I could see he was looking at me like I was wearing a tinfoil hat. I picked up a box of 9mm, told him I paid $8 each for these and right now I could sell them for $50 each. So when your Mom and I shuffle off wait till there is another panic and sell the stuff we leave behind. He no longer looked at me like I was wearing a foil hat :s0140:

Obummers win started that shortage - and Sandy Hook only intensified it.

I remember it well - I was caught 'behind the lines' on reloading components - and .22.
I forgot about Sandyhook! Shortly after that happened I got a hankering for another Mech-Tech as they had GREATLY improved them from the early days when I bought one. Started trying to call them as the website would not let you order. Took a few tries to even get someone to answer. When I told him what I wanted the guy said "oh dude, you are looking at maybe 6 weeks" I said no problem and gave him a card. It was to the day the wait he said and it showed up. Little later the site said they would have you get in a que and they would call you when you could get on a wait list :eek:

I can't remember anymore what set off each one. I know elections often get it started. When Obama won there was one, when he won again I think it set one off. When Trump won he was thought to be a joke and everyone expected Hillary to win. So as soon as he won the market crashed. Nice AR's were selling for less than $500, you could get an AR that was not bad for $300. Some nice 1911's were selling for less than I paid for mine 15 years earlier. I have seen so many of these panics now I can no longer remember what set each one off. I am sure someone probably kept better track. I did not pay a lot of attention because I learned long before the net to not get caught. Always kept plenty of supplies to roll and when they let us mortals start to order ammo started setting aside factory too. The one time .22 ammo was really hard to get for a year or more. That was the worst one I had seen to that point. It made me double the amount of that I keep on hand. Several years ago we moved and movers asked to not give them ammo or guns. So one kid was helping me and when we were packing out cases of ammo I could see he was looking at me like I was wearing a tinfoil hat. I picked up a box of 9mm, told him I paid $8 each for these and right now I could sell them for $50 each. So when your Mom and I shuffle off wait till there is another panic and sell the stuff we leave behind. He no longer looked at me like I was wearing a foil hat :s0140:
Hah..funny. That was a good investment! I got curious and googled. Wikipedia actually has a page on the 2010 and 2013 shortages. 2013 ammo shortage

Like @RVTECH said, it was according to Wiki, caused by Obummer and Sandy Hook. I dunno though. Must be my ingrained distrust of the media..I just wonder if the plants were intentionally limiting production, or the government put a bunch of contracts in and they got their ammo first. I have a tinfoil hat too ;)

Hah..funny. That was a good investment! I got curious and googled. Wikipedia actually has a page on the 2010 and 2013 shortages. 2013 ammo shortage

Like @RVTECH said, it was according to Wiki, caused by Obummer and Sandy Hook. I dunno though. Must be my ingrained distrust of the media..I just wonder if the plants were intentionally limiting production, or the government put a bunch of contracts in and they got their ammo first. I have a tinfoil hat too ;)
As TEMPTING as it was each time I never did sell when one of the panics was going on. Because I like to shoot, often weekly. Damn if its not hard sometimes though to not sell when the price goes nuts like that. Problem is if I sell then I would be leery of shooting and just too damn busy to wan to start rolling. So I "try" to not look and just enjoy. During one of those great panics I made the mistake of mentioning to Wife about the Kel-Tec S2K's we had. We paid just under and just over $300 each for them. They were selling for damn near 1K. She wanted me to sell. I would not as if I did there was no way to replace the damn thing. I stared to wish I had not told her :s0140:

Can't remember which one but during one of the shortages there was a lead shortage at the same ti which made it even worse. But demand and hoarding is biggest factor imo.

Can't remember which one but during one of the shortages there was a lead shortage at the same ti which made it even worse. But demand and hoarding is biggest factor imo.
The one thing the net did BIG time was make these far worse. As one starts soon everyone jumps online to tell anyone who will listen to panic. So people would run to the stores and empty the shelves. Just like the great TP shortage. Once panic hits it keeps feeding on itself. During one of them Wally was still selling AR's made by Bushmaster. They retailed for around $750. One guy was in one day and the store had gotten in two and one guy was buying them both. He asked the guy if he could buy one. Guy told him sure, 2K you can have one. Guy got all kinds of angry. When he told me I said so why did you wait till a full blown panic was going to decide you wanted an AR? Then he got angry at me. :s0092:

The componates cost more so the ammo costs more. If you go to Starline you will see 9mm brass is $161.50/1000, 40 S&W brass is $191.00/1000 and 45 acp brass is $203.50/1000.
Berrys bullets for the 9mm are $121.99/1000, 40 S&W bullets are $164.99 and 45 acp bullets are $189.98.
Not going to lie, but those figures seem spendy for just brass.

The one thing the net did BIG time was make these far worse. As one starts soon everyone jumps online to tell anyone who will listen to panic. So people would run to the stores and empty the shelves. Just like the great TP shortage. Once panic hits it keeps feeding on itself. During one of them Wally was still selling AR's made by Bushmaster. They retailed for around $750. One guy was in one day and the store had gotten in two and one guy was buying them both. He asked the guy if he could buy one. Guy told him sure, 2K you can have one. Guy got all kinds of angry. When he told me I said so why did you wait till a full blown panic was going to decide you wanted an AR? Then he got angry at me. :s0092:
Yeah I saw some of that at sportmen's during the 114 mess. People are nuts, sucks to be them when they had plenty of warning. Same with TP, I saw the lockdown coming in early March 2020 so we did a big costco run. Never had any TP issues.

If it ever comes down to worst case, I'm keeping my ammo and will learn to use leaves and grass ;)

Early 2013 I started reloading, with 45 WinMag.
Odumbo started his Sandy Hook b.s.
I ordered everything to load, and cast, for all I shot, from Titan Reloading, but forgot a 9mm mold.
When I went back to order a mold, NOTHING was available. I designed my own 9mm bullet, and made my own mold. Only powder I had was Herco, and came up with an old Lee load for it.
Shot many thousands in IDPA in 2013/4.
Have been pretty well stocked since.

Joe

They tried another "Big scare" push first of the year but people are running out of money and/or have been stacking heavy already for three years.

cry wolf

1. To raise a false alarm; to constantly warn others about an imagined threat, thereby failing to get assistance when a real threat appears.

If you stop and think about it, "hoarding" is demand. :s0092:
Depends at what time someone chooses to stock up (MSM "hoarding"), as to whether or not such has any affect on demand.

Stock up when whatever is readily available? Wise.

Stock up when whatever is challenging to source (price increase/limited quantity purchase/out of stock/multiple trips etc etc). Not wise.

Also, those whom stock up wisely have lessened the burden on those whom want whatever during a sourcing challenge. Because they don't compete with others whom weren't wise…

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews