JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dollars are not the same as they used to be. Obama pumped so much phony ledger money into the system that it has to go someplace. The median San Francisco house is over a million dollars, the inflation numbers are totally rigged, a decent new truck is 70K. Everything just has a larger number on it. I don't think there is much of a bubble when the two primary American investment (real estate and stocks) are both going up at the same time. Wages are starting to show signs of increasing, health care has gone through the roof, A Da Vinci painting that sold a few years ago for 100K brought 450 million, where else are you going to put your money? I would be more concerned if one sector was moving far ahead of another but I don't see that to any great degree now. My real estate value increased over 6% last year but my antique (old) car collection went up closer th 15%. People don't have money to spend on that kind of stuff without being affluent. The figure that always warps my mind is that the highest agricultural cash crop in the world is Coffee. A product that has absolutely no nutritional value. It seems to,me we humans are pretty wealthy today.

Inflation will likely get worse from here.

Inflation is one reason to be investing in this BS market, there is little benefit to having savings when you lose 5% a year to inflation

My one point of contention would be "it takes $70k to buy a decent truck"

My 2017 F450 four door four wheel drive diesel was $52k. Sure it doesn't have air conditioned leather seats but I think it's decent, A lot nicer than the last new truck I bought a decade ago.
6EA44448-60CF-4553-8C3D-9EFE1CEA009F.jpeg

Inflation will likely get worse from here.

Inflation is one reason to be investing in this BS market, there is little benefit to having savings when you lose 5% a year to inflation

My one point of contention would be "it takes $70k to buy a decent truck"

My 2017 F450 four door four wheel drive diesel was $52k. Sure it doesn't have air conditioned leather seats but I think it's decent, A lot nicer than the last new truck I bought a decade ago.
View attachment 406493
But it's a FORD..........I am sure that you can buy less expensive. I have many vehicles....(am not allowed to say how many) my brother was looking for a new Denali last summer. So we tagged along to the dealer. They were all over 60K, a fancy one well over 70K. My son's new gas suburban was right there and a replacement from a GMC 3500 crew cab 4X4 Duramax dually flatbed was 70K. The bed alone is close to 6K installed. My primary truck has 280K on it.........if the engine ever gets weak it is going to the dealer for a new one and another Allison, total bill under 15K. Your truck looks nice It is even in my color preference. Don't advertise how cheep your licence is here in Idaho.......more people will want to come here.

But it's a FORD..........I am sure that you can buy less expensive. I have many vehicles....(am not allowed to say how many) my brother was looking for a new Denali last summer. So we tagged along to the dealer. They were all over 60K, a fancy one well over 70K. My son's new gas suburban was right there and a replacement from a GMC 3500 crew cab 4X4 Duramax dually flatbed was 70K. The bed alone is close to 6K installed. My primary truck has 280K on it.........if the engine ever gets weak it is going to the dealer for a new one and another Allison, total bill under 15K. Your truck looks nice It is even in my color preference. Don't advertise how cheep your licence is here in Idaho.......more people will want to come here.

I ordered this one and was able to get what I thought was important and not pay for things I did not really need. It has remote start, a backup camera, limited slip rear end and power windows/mirrors/locks and a cloth/carpet interior. But it is a work truck and could not justify the $15K-$30K extra to get a Limited or King Ranch truck. And I have spent maybe $7500 on the bed, boxes, wheels and other bits so all in its closer to $60K

When I was at the dealer there where two "identical" trucks side by side. Both four-door F250 diesel four wheel drive trucks. One was $48K and the other $72K $24,000 worth of extras seems absolutely nuts to me.

I think the big difference for folks like me and the average truck buyer is most look at what the payment is. It's only an extra $150-$250 a month to get all those extras. I wrote a check for the thing, so paying for all that fancy crap seems a whole lot less important.

At the last gun show the display Ford King Ranch pickup window sticker was bumping hard against $80K!!!

On 'Chasing Classic Cars' I see the used Ferrari prices have escalated considerably; many former driver-level vintage models are breaking the $1M level. Lots of these various hot-rod rebuilder TV car guys seem to be paying many thousands just for certain rusty hulks of the 60s muscle car sector.

On the other hand, a lot of used firearm prices seem trending downward....except that new Python advertised for $7200~~~~

I am not really a (Stock) market guy but with a busisness degree and a curious mind I do follow it from a distance. I am fascinated with things that effect society. I (like Trump) am an asset guy. People will always need a place to live and will dig deeper for tools and toys than for investments. I have plenty of monthly lifetime income so I don't have to sell anything to be comfortable or rely on the whims of fickle buyers. The worst posisition to be in is having to sell something to pay your monthly bills.....(I really don't have any) in the old days capital would move back and forth between paper investments (like stocks and securities) to real estate. That is the difference this time, they are both showing strong appreciation. We do have a lot of pent up pressure on market's after the 8 year Obama nightmare that will take several years to correct. It will be an interesting ride. I think there will be plenty of specific winners and losers but the overall trend has to be higher at least for a while. In the 1870's a common wage was 1.00$ a day and found (food and board). When my folks were married married 70 years ago, they thought they were making a lot of money at 750.00 a month, they even owned a house outright and bought a new Dodge. Not bad for 22 year old people. How many dollars would it take to do that today?

Last Edited:
1361D9B4-67B0-454E-B3A4-549524FDAEFB.jpeg I he
At the last gun show the display Ford King Ranch pickup window sticker was bumping hard against $80K!!!

On 'Chasing Classic Cars' I see the used Ferrari prices have escalated considerably; many former driver-level vintage models are breaking the $1M level. Lots of these various hot-rod rebuilder TV car guys seem to be paying many thousands just for certain rusty hulks of the 60s muscle car sector.

On the other hand, a lot of used firearm prices seem trending downward....except that new Python advertised for $7200~~~~
l helped my buddy buy a 1966 Ferrari 330 GT about 8 years ago, it had been in a secure garage behind a condo in Pomona for 30 years. He swallowed hard and paid 12,000 for it. The deceased owners wife had bent the rear bumper and sheet metal just before it was parked by backing into a truck. It came with an uninstalled (magnificent) new interior and needed refinished. I told him if he didn't buy it I would (even though I am a Maserati guy) my buddy has been working on the car at a slow bell, but his insurance man valued it at 360,000 last summer as is. There are always winners and losers in any market. Guns have been soft overall but also very volatile in the last 10 years. My factory Colt Ar's were selling (or asking price) close to 3,000 at one point. I think the market is strong for high quality guns. (A common Blaser rifle is over 7,000$) and the Ar market is so saturated they are selling decent guns for 600.00. There are lots of cheep guns on the market......because they are cheep guns.....things like plastic stocks and painted on finishes. There are still more new 30-50,000 dollar guns on the market than ever. The collector gun market is on fire......so there always be winners and losers no matter what the overall market is doing. You pay your money and take your chances.......as always.

Last Edited:
I think the big difference for folks like me and the average truck buyer is most look at what the payment is. It's only an extra $150-$250 a month to get all those extras. I wrote a check for the thing, so paying for all that fancy crap seems a whole lot less important.

This is how most of us are sold on buying things on credit; pay no attention to your total cost, just pay attention to how much it costs you per month. Ignore the fact that it will take you years to pay it off, that by then you will probably 50-100% more in total than if you pay cash.

Unfortunately, this is what runs our economy and why it is so unstable.

I paid cash for my vehicles for the last 15 years or so - no interest. I have never bought a new car - daily drivers get bought one to two years old, and I save thousands, sometimes tens of thousands by not paying for that instant depreciation when you drive it off the lot. My current car depreciated 50 cents per mile before I bought it - I saved almost $20K by buying it with 43K miles on it.

The rest of my vehicles (not including motorcycles), I bought well used. When I retire I will fix them up and make them what I want, and again save tens of thousands of dollars by not buying new, even more because I paid cash. They may not be fancy with all the bells and whistles, but they will do what I need them to do and I would rather spend my money on other things - like guns, and traveling and being able to retire before I die.

This is how most of us are sold on buying things on credit; pay no attention to your total cost, just pay attention to how much it costs you per month. Ignore the fact that it will take you years to pay it off, that by then you will probably 50-100% more in total than if you pay cash.

I paid cash for my vehicles for the last 15 years or so - no interest. I have never bought a new car - daily drivers get bought one to two years old, and I save thousands, sometimes tens of thousands by not paying for that instant depreciation when you drive it off the lot. My current car depreciated 50 cents per mile before I bought it - I saved almost $20K by buying it with 43K miles on it.

The rest of my vehicles (not including motorcycles), I bought well used. When I retire I will fix them up and make them what I want, and again save tens of thousands of dollars by not buying new, even more because I paid cash. They may not be fancy with all the bells and whistles, but they will do what I need them to do and I would rather spend my money on other things - like guns, and traveling and being able to retire before I die.
And you sleep much better at night. The interest alone that you have saved compared to the average American would fund a retirement program. I have always been (and remain) a cash guy. In the long run, it is the only method that makes sense.

You know the strange thing is I don't feel like I can afford this truck. I did not really need a new truck (my old one has been a great truck and with 150K miles on it I felt it would go another 100K without much trouble)

When I was 20 and wanted a new truck and financed it and had little proof I could make the payments I felt like I could afford it. Now I can write a check and pay cash without it much affecting my net worth and I don't feel like I can afford it.

What happened though is a call from my accountant and a conversation about needing to spend some money before the end of the year or having a $40,000 tax bill.

So I bought a truck.

You saved $20K by buying a used vehical, I saved probably $22K in taxes by buying a new one

I've seen rebuttal that the other side of the argument presents, greed-> drives toward long term GREED and ->financial naivety continues to increase as market/product expansion fuels continuing paychecks and tax base, which is another 'stabilizing influence'.

Don't think I accept that argument, but it was something I hadn't considered very closely before.

The potential that 1) growing free stuff army needs ever more .gov support; 2) .gov needs larger tax base to make their evil plans appear to solve problems; 3) those producers who exceed the minimum .gov statistical base will generate a partially expanding economy if the goose.gov doesn't get TOO greedy....etc.

I got tired of listening to the rap so that's all I can report.

You know the strange thing is I don't feel like I can afford this truck. I did not really need a new truck (my old one has been a great truck and with 150K miles on it I felt it would go another 100K without much trouble)

When I was 20 and wanted a new truck and financed it and had little proof I could make the payments I felt like I could afford it. Now I can write a check and pay cash without it much affecting my net worth and I don't feel like I can afford it.

What happened though is a call from my accountant and a conversation about needing to spend some money before the end of the year or having a $40,000 tax bill.

So I bought a truck.

You saved $20K by buying a used vehical, I saved probably $22K in taxes by buying a new one
Taxes have dictated behavior for hundreds (thousands?) of years. The reason there are so many antique armoires come from Europe is because if people built closets into there houses, they were taxed on it as an additional room. Many many of our tastes and opinions are dictated by tax law. My brother had the same experiance as yours. He has always kept a couple of shop cars to loan his customers when he is working on there car. He would have a well maintained clean older vehicle. His accountant showed him if he would upgrade to a newer vehicle (under 5 years old?) he would save thousands of dollars a year in tax brakes. Tax writers know this and use the code to direct and control society. When they eliminated the consumer interest deduction, the secondary mortgage market went nuts because people would take loans on there house (with deductible intrest) and pay cash for a car that the interest could not be deducted from. Joseph and Mary were traveling to pay taxes when Jesus was born. The reason they had to stay in the manger wasn't that they were poor, all the rooms were rented by other people that had traveled to Jerusalem to also pay taxes to the Romans. That is a good example why when traveling, get a room early while you still can...................

Last Edited:
I've seen rebuttal that the other side of the argument presents, greed-> drives toward long term GREED and ->financial naivety continues to increase as market/product expansion fuels continuing paychecks and tax base, which is another 'stabilizing influence'.

Don't think I accept that argument, but it was something I hadn't considered very closely before.

The potential that 1) growing free stuff army needs ever more .gov support; 2) .gov needs larger tax base to make their evil plans appear to solve problems; 3) those producers who exceed the minimum .gov statistical base will generate a partially expanding economy if the goose.gov doesn't get TOO greedy....etc.

I got tired of listening to the rap so that's all I can report.
I think that is a macro/micro argument. The individual is better off and more stable without debt, the society thrives on profit from debt. In business school we are taught when hiring (particularly commission paid posisition) we are best served by a person that has a lot of responsibility and debt. They are less likely to leave a job and very motivated by money. I don't want to be that guy...........

Yeah - two differences there:

1) I apparently don't make as much money as you do to have that high of a tax bill - not anywhere close, plus I max out my 401K ($24K per year) to bring my taxes down a bit.

2) I do not own a business and cannot write off such expenses. My vehicles and almost everything else I buy is for my personal use. What I do buy for my job (things like a larger computer monitor) is minor and can't be written off because my employer does not require it, but I want it because it makes my job easier and more enjoyable.

Is there a difference tax wise between buying a new and used vehicle?

1) I apparently don't make as much money as you do to have that high of a tax bill - not anywhere close, plus I max out my 401K ($24K per year) to bring my taxes down a bit.

2) I do not own a business and cannot write off such expenses. My vehicles and almost everything else I buy is for my personal use. What I do buy for my job (things like a larger computer monitor) is minor and can't be written off because my employer does not require it, but I want it because it makes my job easier and more enjoyable.

Yes. The depreciation schedules are different. There was a time not long ago when many people were buying new Hummers because they were over the 6,000 GVW threshold imposed by the tax code for special consideration. So, someone like an accountant that needed a company car would buy a Hummer to take advantage of a tax benefit designed for a small busisness needing a truck. Depreciation schedules are constantly being adjusted (by the government) in an attempt to stimulate the economy by selling new equipment. yes, you are correct, to take full advantage of many tax benifits, you have to be in a higher bracket or own a business. A tax break for the 49% that pay no taxes is of no benefit to them.

Last Edited:
Medic: You original questions are very valid. As far as I know, (or don't know) we are certainly ready for a Stock Market Major Correction. Downward. There may be several bubbles. Stock Market. Bond Market. The US Dollar. Real Estate. Banking.

I think the wheels of our national economy, (world economy also?) may come off when the TRUE inflation rate can no longer be hidden by the FED. When stocks and bonds can no longer create wealth due to inflation, then everything will crash down.

How bad? Very bad. Worse than 2008. Worse than 1929. When the US Dollar collapses everything will crumble. Consider just a local barter economy. It may get to the point where civil law or order ends. Even Gold and Silver may not save you. Yikes!

My opinion only which I hope is wrong. Respectfully.

Last Edited:

The other thing is I am buying a medium duty truck, I would suppose a F450 would be considered a ton and a quarter rig. A comparable used one a few years old with 70-100K miles is still going to be $35-$45 grand and I have no interest in buying a $40K truck with a 100K miles. One a year old with 20K miles they will likely ask what I paid for this one (which had a $61K sticker and I paid $52 for) Matter of fact I have seen several used trucks on Craigslist for more than what I paid for the new one.

Really buying a new one or keeping my old one were the two options.

The market will correct itself and recover several more times before it's time to dip into my retirement account. It only matters if you are nearing retirement age now. If that's the case, you should be moving funds into stable funds to reduce your exposure before the next correction.

Preparing for a scenario where the market does not recover should also be thought about. However, this isn't a sure thing despite what some fear mongers say. Nobody should be cashing out their 401ks, taking a massive hit with penalties and buying hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of freeze dried food. It's all about balance.

I rebalanced again several weeks ago.

I don't plan to need to touch my funds, but one never knows. Now is a bit of a tricky time for me - if I get laid off (probably not this next year, but one never knows) then getting another tech job that pays what I get now, at almost 64 years of age, is not a sure thing, even with my experience, and my SSI would get cut if I start taking it now instead of in 3 years. So I might have to touch those funds.

Otherwise I want to leave them alone. Once I make it to 66-67 and sell my property and get setup with new land and get settled, then I will feel much safer about letting what I have ride for the interim until either I need it when I get too old to live out in the boonies or my daughter needs the funds. At that point the funds should have at least doubled and we both should be able to use the funds as needed. Right now I am just watching everything closely.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top