JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another forum there was a thread about carrying while wearing bib overalls. I posted I dealt with a truckdriver a while back who was wearing bibs and carrying in chest rig.

A member responded saying a CDL holding, commercial truck driver cannot legally carry while driving.

I asked this member for a specific statute, law, etc. that prohibits a CDL holder from carrying while on the job but he could not answer this and just said he 'knows it is illegal'.

Anyone know if this is true and if so what is the specific ruling with regard to having a CDL?

Not sure on the fed DOT side of things, or any state issues, but Carry permits are only good for the states that accept them and all the other legalities around that, so interstate drivers need to be mindful of what states their permits are good in!
Outside of that, it's likely going to come down to the specific company the driver works for, if they have a no weapons policy specifically pertaining to CCW holders! Likely an insurance rider!

A member responded saying a CDL holding, commercial truck driver cannot legally carry while driving.
Absolutely untrue, but there is a LOT of confusion and bad information out there.about this subject.

CC got 100% kicked back to the states in 1999. There are 0 federal (DOT, ICC, or NHTSA) regulations on carrying in a CMV.

The only federal statutes that apply are with regards to entering prohibited places... some ports, prisons, certain federally maintained security sensitive areas. I don't do that so I'm not versed in those regs.

As long as you are legal in the state(s) you're operating in, you are legal, period. It's also important to know those states' variations in their carry laws. Some GFZs carry force of law, some states ban you from schools, etc.

As @USMC1911 said, most employers prohibit carry... but they can't arrest you.

I drive regionally so keep my permits in OR, WA, ID, and MT current. I also keep a small safe for the rare trip into CA.

Be discreet. Be concealed. Don't talk about it... at ALL.

On another forum there was a thread about carrying while wearing bib overalls. I posted I dealt with a truckdriver a while back who was wearing bibs and carrying in chest rig.

I asked this member for a specific statute, law, etc. that prohibits a CDL holder from carrying while on the job but he could not answer this and just said he 'knows it is illegal'.

Anyone know if this is true and if so what is the specific ruling with regard to having a CDL?

When someone tells you ( he 'knows it is illegal'.) 99.9% of the time they have no idea what they are talking about but, they have "heard" this somewhere and want to believe it. Back before Al invented the net for us it was often a chore to find laws. Now days they are at your finger tips and major stuff like this is seldom hidden and hard to find. This is why the person was telling you "they know it to be true" because they can't find it anywhere but want it to be true. Probably nothing worse for this stuff than firearm laws. As mentioned if you are crossing state lines you of course have to know what the laws are in those states.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top